Need Help And Sympathy: My Dog Chewed The Top Of My Lamy 2K!

Brianm_14

Hi,

Last night some things got knocked off my desk, and a careful cleanup ensued. Or so we thought. Our dog has a powerful chewing instinct and while he has learned to leave shoes and such alone, is about 50/50 on a number of other items if they unexpectedly roll his way. (Actually, incidents are now rare.) My vet says that's pretty good given his breed mix and need to chew.

A short while ago my wife noticed he had something small in his mouth, and said she thought it was a pen cap. My mind raced over the ugly possibilities. The worst was realized: it was the cap of my black Lamy 2000, now a crushed mess. As I view it, my fault, not his. But it was a sad moment, nonetheless. The silver lining is, of course, that our dog, Wilfred, was not harmed!

What can I do?

I had planned to sell it. While I like Lamys in general, this actually was not one that stood out for me and I never felt comfortable taking out of the house. Great pen, just not a great match.

Anyone have a cap for sale? 😳 Thanks for listening.

Brian

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brianm_14

• langere

• mana

• sirgilbert357

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So sorry to hear about your pen.

But I'm glad you understand that the puppy was just doing whats natural for him.

You could try to contact Lamy and see how much they would charge for a new cap. They usually have a pretty good customer service.

Pictures please 😬

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Thanks. I was wondering about that. I'll start there, by contacting Lamy.

Yeah -he was only following his nature. He's a loving and lovable sweetheart. It must have been a great chew while it lasted.

I was frustrated -at myself. I am in the process of clearing up my pen storage to avoid just such issues. Sort of painfully ironic?

Our dogs certainly helped make me a better, more patient and understanding parent of four kids, too.

Brian

I don't know if if will make any difference that I purchased my pen used. Also, my purchase price was a lot lower than the retail price listed on the Lamy America site ($219) so I am wondering if a cap will be priced at too-high a price. Well, I will find out Monday when Customer Service re-opens.

I should post pictures. Hopefully they will be a once-in-a-lifetime warning, sort like viewing an auto accident makes you snug up your seatbelt and check that your doors are locked.

Still open to other sugggestions.

Brian

Both pen cap and dog!!! :D :D :D

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Well, here is Wilfred Owen Mendelssohn Mooney fresh from a Lamy 2000 remodel. He actually -and appropriately enough-has a black mask that doesn't really show in this photo.

post-123622-0-34684600-1570842930_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Brianm_14

Brian

Love it! Looks totally innocent...

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

What can I do?

I had planned to sell it.

I don't know. Make an insurance claim, if you have a household or other insurance policy that would cover such 'accidents'?

Something happened, resulting in the loss of embodied value of an object. Someone is going to have to wear it, and it won't be either Lamy or Wilfred. Or any prospective buyer, or the person from whom you purchased the pen used in the first place. That doesn't leave too many other parties who have the slightest association with the object in question.

Of course you could and would want to limit your loss, so perhaps a good starting point would be to decide how high a 'price' you're prepared to pay or, in other words, the loss you're prepared to wear because of what happened for a replacement cap, thus reducing the question to whether you'll replace the cap (in preparation of selling the pen) or not (and just junk the pen, if the cost of replacing the cap is unacceptable). Makes life easier and the mental processes less stressful that way.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Well, here is Wilfred Owen Mendelssohn Mooney fresh from a Lamy 2000 remodel. He actually -and appropriately enough-has a black mask that doesn't really show in this photo.

Say hello to Wilfred from me. I am familiar with this particular "what 'd' I do?" face from my grandma's dog. My mother also sometimes tells me that when I was a toddler I used to wear this expression quite a lot. When in contact with Lamy about a new cap let them know that Wilfred approves the craftsmanship, the perfectly chewable texture, and the taste!

To the original poster:

Sorry to hear about your incident. In our house anything on the floor is/was fair game for Zoe our otherwise well behaved Golden Retriever. I say was, because now at eight years of age she's mellowed enough to focus on the various antlers that we have available for her to chew on. Other items on the floor do not seem to interest her now. When she was a pup, her aggressive chewing cost her one of her premolars (& a 1000.00 CAD bill from the vet).

I'd advise laying in a good supply of appropriate sized deer, elk or moose antler chews. These chews are costly unless you are a hunter, but well worth the expense. They're healthy for your dog.

Concerning your pen, could your 2000 cap (I assume it's a standard, current model) be replaced by the manufacturer in Germany or the distributor in North America? Is yours the Makrolon bodied pen?

When I had a few issues with one of my Kaweco pens, the folks at the manufacturers in Germany bent backwards to assist me & provided a part free of charge. Perhaps Lamy would be able to help you in a similar way.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Thanks for all the support, and thoughtful advice. It is very cheering!

I plan on contacting Lamy Monday to ask about a cap, and I'll check eBay in a moment. Thank you mana, tinta, and ardene!

Wilfred has a good selection of real, sturdy beef bones, which he carefully and neatly arranges in his space. Every morning, he piicks up and shows me the "bone of the day", a ritual I have come to cherish. He is only 2-1/2, amazingly bright, and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next. Shows what a prize you can get with a rescue puppy! He is deeply affectionate, and my wife and I can always safely place our fingers in his mouth -he freely gave up the cap. (He has what would be called a "soft mouth" in a bird dog.)

Yes, he needs some antlers to add to the bones. I may still have the antlers from the first deer I took many years ago! Now Lamy just needs to make chew toys, as he certainly enjoyed this one.

@Smug Dill: I really appreciate the wise words about putting this in perspective. Yes, it is only a "thing" and not to be stressed over. When I saw the destroyed cap, the metal clip was a bit terrifying, as it could have really harmed my dog. That brought me back to reality. At the very least, I'll figure a way to make the Lamy a desk pen and salvage it while looking for a cap.

Brian

You could always just sell the pen without a cap for less. There's probably someone out there who has a good cap, but needs a new section or would make use of your nib, barrel, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

See Martiniauctions on ebay.

Sorry for your cap, but what a nice dog ! :)

LYTH

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee402/LYTH1/031.jpg

Just store the pen safely and patiently hunt for the cap online.

Nothing to stress over, you will find one. Patience is key else you can always pay full price from Lamy.

Wilfred looks innocent enough, makrolon is a strange flavour to enjoy. laugh.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.