Help Identify Thos Old Parker From The 1980S

sid160

Hi all,

I got this Parker handed down to me from my dad. I used it in middle and high schools for a couple of years and I remember losing the cap for the pen. After many years, I found it in my basement just a few days ago. I washed and cleaned it as it had some blue ink residue from way back. However the squeeze type converter does not seem to work anymore. Looks like I need a new converter and ofcourse a cap for it. A little bit more history...I'm pretty sure my dad was in Pakistan or Bangladesh when he acquired this pen.

Can someone help identify it and also recommend the type of converter and cap that's fit? Thanks in advance.

Syed Kamal

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sid160

• BaronWulfraed

• austollie

• inkstainedruth

• 4 weeks later...

1980's is old for a fountain pen?

As a collector of 1970s and 1980s school fountain pens, I'd at least call a 1980s pen vintage. What I think is special about the Parker 15/ Jotter fountain pen is that it is still in production today. It's a no nonsense pen that writes well. If only Parker had kept the Parker 25 in production. Now there is a cheap and cheerful pen that ought to make a comeback.

It's a no nonsense pen that writes well.

I have an urge to protest that "no nonsense pen" is Sheaffer :lticaptd:

I have an urge to protest that "no nonsense pen" is Sheaffer :lticaptd:

OK, you got me there!! Very funny.

I'm not that familiar with Sheaffer pens and hadn't heard of the "no nonsense line".

OK, you got me there!! Very funny.

I'm not that familiar with Sheaffer pens and hadn't heard of the "no nonsense line".

The later years they tended to found mostly in the Sheaffer Calligraphy sets (before they went to the rubberized section European version). At the fancier end, the No Nonsense morphed into the Connaisseur (they can use the same sections, as does the Balance II).

Just can't call 80's pens vintage. I still have clothes from the 80's! LOL

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I'm of the opinion that "vintage" is before 1960, when the Parker 45 cartridge pen was introduced. Anything after that until maybe the year 2000 is "older" and anything post-2000 is "modern". So my 1980s and 1990s era Pelikans are "older" whereas the 1950s era 400 is "vintage" and the M120 Iconic Blue is "modern/new".

I absolutlely positively refuse to consider my Parker Vectors as "vintage". They're all "older" or "modern" pens except for the reissued French-made purple one (new) and the Shrek Puss in Boots design probably also counts as "new" (I forget what the date code is on that one, but the movie tie-in date is from no later than 2004 -- the first appearance of the character is in Shrek 2).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have to say, that I find this forum incredibly informative. Up until inkstainedtruth's post, I didn't know that the Parker Vector was at one time available in a special Shrek edition. I am very interested in school fountain pens, because that's where my obsession started and I will now take more of an interest in the Parker Vector series. I have one modern Parker Vector calligraphy pen, but that's the extent of my Parker Vector collection.

While it's off the subject, I use calligraphy pens at work with Pelikan M205 ink, in lieu of a highlighter. The instructions on the ink bottle discourage usage with pens other than the Pelikan M205, but I've had no trouble with the ink in other pens.

Just can't call 80's pens vintage. I still have clothes from the 80's! LOL

Only... I still have the "sportcoat" I wore for my HS graduation photo (1976). It was four years old at that time (lapels you could use for a tablecloth, patch pockets ON TOP OF PATCH POCKETS!) Along with the tie -- which I'd purloined from my father's collection, so it goes back to the 60s at least (most likely -- since it wasn't one of those wide clown ties)

I have to say, that I find this forum incredibly informative. Up until inkstainedtruth's post, I didn't know that the Parker Vector was at one time available in a special Shrek edition.

Until recently, I didn't either. I found listings for it, one with Shrek (blue background), and Donkey (red background). I got it for a good price because no-one else bid on it; the seller (who is in the Netherlands) had a notice saying that he would be away for a few days -- but I've bought pens from him before, and I think that when he saw it was me, he ended up expediting shipping times (another seller, in Germany, had one that was for three times what I paid :o).

I think it was a UK production pen. Most of my Vectors were made in the UK, except for the re-issued French-made purple one I got last year, and an older one (still in the blister pack) that was a US made one, and which I unfortunately seem to have lost. I liked that one -- the barrel and cap design was small red, blue and yellow rectangles, outlined in black -- because it made me think of a Mondrian painting. Never seen one like it before or since.... :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yes, the 1980s are vintage in regard to Fountain Pens. It was a different time then, when production still was in place in many historic pen factories by some people who had made them from before the full impact of ballpoints and who had worked with people from the Golden Age of pen production in many case. It was also before most of the Fountain Pen revival and expansion into limited editions and very expensive Fountain Pens which have so very significantly changed the pen market. And yes it was still the time when many of who had used Fountain Pens through their school years graduated and got expensive Fountain Pens and used them for the first time. I think back to the summer of 1984 and how I could have visited the Parker Pen factory when I went to the last GenCon held at the UW Campus Lake Geneva instead of visiting the nearby AMC plant (I was driving a Gremlin and thought it would be fun to drive around the factory where it was made and so I did). And then I missed the chance again in 1987 when on the way to Camp Randal and the DCI competition in Madison. I was young and in a hurry.

The term "vintage" is so abused especially on Ebay by sellers wishing to imply anything old is automatically valuable that it makes me wince a little. Vintage just means of a certain era or subjectively, "old" whatever that might mean to the individual.