New Cross Peerless

Marten

Just got mine, the pen is aesthetically in pristine condition and writes well. That zoom nib is juicy and I like it that way!

The pen's cap has a sort of click at the bottom of the thread. It almost feels intentional as if it's supposed to be a locking mechanism for the cap. Is that normal? At this point either way I'll keep the pen- the click isn't stopping the cap from threading and the nib is superb. Not toothy like my Sailor mediums at all. I shouldn't have waited this long.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bemon

• Marten

• Tseg

• sandy101

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Bemon.

Very glad that you are enjoying the pen. Must maybe have a look at acquiring a Zoom nib at some point I suppose.

Not too sure about the click when tightening the cap. In the interim I have acquired another two of these pens and none of them exhibit a click as such. (Just tried/checked now on the one I am using today and I do not notice anything at all)

Hi Bemon.

Very glad that you are enjoying the pen. Must maybe have a look at acquiring a Zoom nib at some point I suppose.

Not too sure about the click when tightening the cap. In the interim I have acquired another two of these pens and none of them exhibit a click as such. (Just tried/checked now on the one I am using today and I do not notice anything at all)

Thanks. Could be a loose inner cap on mine. Doesn't seem to affect it's performance so I'm not worried about it.

Yes that might be. One of the Pens I purchased had a loose barrel cap which was rather unfortunate. Upon closer inspection, it appeared that the liner and spring insert were also loose and when screwing the the section into the barrel, it made clicking noises. This might very well be a similar case on yours. With the section removed, do you observe any play on the barrel cap at all?

Yes that might be. One of the Pens I purchased had a loose barrel cap which was rather unfortunate. Upon closer inspection, it appeared that the liner and spring insert were also loose and when screwing the the section into the barrel, it made clicking noises. This might very well be a similar case on yours. With the section removed, do you observe any play on the barrel cap at all?

Seems like I can spin the cap ring freely, but other than that everything seems to be solidly in place. I could be over threading the cap. I tend to have a heavy hand and have over tightened the odd threaded object, pounded the odd keyboard to death.. popped the odd button to the inside of a car’s dash (mid 2000’s GM QA was really something, huh?)... so this could be entirely my doing.

Hi Bemon.

Then that might just explain the clicking. It might be (Well, it does sound like it) that there is an issue with the setting of the barrel cap/inner sleeve. As mentioned, I had the same issue on a brand new pen where, with the section removed, the barrel end cap was loose. Once the section was inserted it tightened this up but I could feel resistance from the inner sleeve assembly when screwing the section back in. Obviously this has zero effect on the actual performance of the pen/nib but was just rather annoying. Not to mention unacceptable for a so called "Flagship" type pen. I sent this to the the European Service Center and they "fixed" the issue. After receiving the repair I used the pen permanently for about a month and then the exact same issue cropped up again, albeit not as pronounced as before...

Hi Bemon.

Then that might just explain the clicking. It might be (Well, it does sound like it) that there is an issue with the setting of the barrel cap/inner sleeve. As mentioned, I had the same issue on a brand new pen where, with the section removed, the barrel end cap was loose. Once the section was inserted it tightened this up but I could feel resistance from the inner sleeve assembly when screwing the section back in. Obviously this has zero effect on the actual performance of the pen/nib but was just rather annoying. Not to mention unacceptable for a so called "Flagship" type pen. I sent this to the the European Service Center and they "fixed" the issue. After receiving the repair I used the pen permanently for about a month and then the exact same issue cropped up again, albeit not as pronounced as before...

I didn't expect a ton from this pen in all honesty. I really only wanted it to complete my collection since I like the aesthetics, and back before I discovered fountain pens I was a big Cross Century bp user. So I guess it's a sort of homage to the my roots as a pen collector. But I also see this as an over priced Chinese pen. Not anything terribly valuable.

So as a pen who's primary focus is to look pretty beside my (also seldom used) Townsend it serves it's purpose.

Well, then that is perfect.

However, I do have to disagree (From my perspective of course!) with regards to the inherent value of the 125. I really believe that it is a phenomenal design with an amazing nib. The finish and detail on the pen is rather good (Okay, had the issue on the one pen of course) and the writing experience for me is wonderful. But yes, I suppose that many might not perceive this to be in the same league as for instance Pelikan, MB, Visconti etc.

My criteria when it come to fountain pens is if it writes well and feels good in the hand, then it has passed the test. Yes, there is the "show" factor of course which is simply an added bonus.

Anyway, I am very glad that you are enjoying the pen and obviously keep in mind that if you so desire, Cross will repair at no charge to yourself.

Well, then that is perfect.

However, I do have to disagree (From my perspective of course!) with regards to the inherent value of the 125. I really believe that it is a phenomenal design with an amazing nib. The finish and detail on the pen is rather good (Okay, had the issue on the one pen of course) and the writing experience for me is wonderful. But yes, I suppose that many might not perceive this to be in the same league as for instance Pelikan, MB, Visconti etc.

My criteria when it come to fountain pens is if it writes well and feels good in the hand, then it has passed the test. Yes, there is the "show" factor of course which is simply an added bonus.

Anyway, I am very glad that you are enjoying the pen and obviously keep in mind that if you so desire, Cross will repair at no charge to yourself.

I've heard those that wonder why Cross has had to outsource their flagship nib. Maybe they outsourced all their nibs, but if not the Townsend was (is) quite a nice writing experience. I think that sort of lends to people feeling Cross phoned it in a little.

A lot of collectors on my side of the pond don't like the fact that production is outsourced off these shores. Americans don't like fake American brands and Canadians have our own strained relationship with China. So put it all together and Cross doesn't have near the premium brand identity it has in other parts of the world. Apparently it's quite strong in Asia for example.

Anyway you're right: If it writes and I like it that's all that should matter. Sure has hell writes better than any of my Montblancs even if it doesn't play in same arena!

Have had about 6 Peerless 125's in past few years. Have 2 now.

All great writers, feel good in the hand, and excellent build pens.

Have had a lot of Montblanc's in the past (none now), very nice pens, but prefer the Peerless 125's.

:)

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

@ bemon

"Sure has hell writes better than any of my Montblancs even if it doesn't play in same arena!" - Now that really made me chuckle! I hear you! I suppose every pen has its place and I understand the sentiment with regards to outsourcing on these pens.

@ bemon

"Sure has hell writes better than any of my Montblancs even if it doesn't play in same arena!" - Now that really made me chuckle! I hear you! I suppose every pen has its place and I understand the sentiment with regards to outsourcing on these pens.

Since I'm stuck working at home for the time being (lay offs inevitable), I filled up a MB 146. I'm glad I'm typing this message because if I had to rely on any of my Montblancs for the written word, my response might looks something like this:

"F l e u a ontb a c 1 6. he d mn t in a 't p t own on is nt ine. Non f my M n bla cs ca ."

The Cross manages just fine though.

Edited by bemon

Ha-Ha!

Yes, first day here of a 21 day lock-down but fortunately I have a permit to travel to work.

Ha-Ha!

Yes, first day here of a 21 day lock-down but fortunately I have a permit to travel to work.

Glad you’re working! I’ve been layed off as of Tuesday. Should be a temporary measure, but it’ll be a struggle!

Do you need a permit to leave your home? Or just to work? My company was authorized as an essential service, but at all 8 of our stores we had people walking in to our showrooms telling us they were supposed to be quarantined. Obviously they had no intention of obeying the quarantine order. So we closed.

I've heard those that wonder why Cross has had to outsource their flagship nib. Maybe they outsourced all their nibs, but if not the Townsend was (is) quite a nice writing experience.

The nib on the Townsend comes from Pelikan - or at least they used to (mine did).

Earlier Cross pens had nibs from Pilot.

So, Cross have been buying their nibs from different manufacturers over time.

That's not a complaint though, the Townsend nib and feed are the most tolerant for inks in my collection.

My birthday is coming up soon and I'm weighing up the Peerless or the Parker Prestige. my heart says Parker - but my head is saying the Peerless - as I have not been disappointed with the Century II and Townsend - and the Sailor nib sounds like much more fun that the Parker - and the Peerless is at least £100 cheaper (street price) than the Parker.

Edited by sandy101

The nib on the Townsend comes from Pelikan - or at least they used to (mine did).

Earlier Cross pens had nibs from Pilot.

So, Cross have been buying their nibs from different manufacturers over time.

That's not a complaint though, the Townsend nib and feed are the most tolerant for inks in my collection.

My birthday is coming up soon and I'm weighing up the Peerless or the Parker Prestige. my heart says Parker - but my head is saying the Peerless - as I have not been disappointed with the Century II and Townsend - and the Sailor nib sounds like much more fun that the Parker - and the Peerless is at least £100 cheaper (street price) than the Parker.

I didn’t know that. I just compared my Townsend to one of my Pelikans and there are some real similarities. I wonder if mine’s got a Pelikan nib too. Is yours 18 Kt?

I don’t have the Parker and haven’t used the Cross much so I can’t comment but let us know what you wind up with!

Yes, 18K. I think they're still from Pelikan.

I think the Cross Century's nibs came from Pilot.

Interesting!

• 4 weeks later...

After I received mine, I was in two minds if I liked the finish. It does come across as a bit "blingy"and I berated myself that I had not rather purchased the model in black lacquer. However, this has really grown on me and sort of hints (Well to me at least) at a Steampunk genre. Which I do enjoy. Easily my most favourite writer currently and I might just get another in fine...

It was a pleasure reading this review. I just placed an order for one in Fine this morning and should be a few weeks to travel across the Atlantic to me. Funny you mention "blingy". I have so many boring looking black pens I decided to go bold or go home and will be getting the Thick Gold Plated 125. Talk about BLING. I may also have to get an accompanying grill for my mouth. I recently got a gold-capped Aurora 88 and am pretty smitten by the look/feel of a high quality gold metal pen.

Even though I only recently learned of this pen, with my locked-in status I've had the time to go through dozens of reviews and all seem to be overwhelmingly positive. Most point out they were surprised to the upside, which usually does not happen with pricier pens. It will be interesting to see how it compares to my Sailor Pro Gear King of Pens in Broad, which is nearly double the price.

I'm kind of excited as this seems a bit of a dark horse. What pushed me over the edge is the Cross website only offers the black lacquer in fountain pen any more, so assuming these are being discontinued? With all that is going on in the world this pen, US design, Japanese nib, made in China, flagship quality at a reasonable price, may never exist again, at least not in my lifetime.