New Cross Peerless

Marten

Hi there.

I have been admiring this pen for a good 18 months. Never purchased as I felt the cost was a bit steep. Then a couple of weeks ago, I was in the market for an additional Visconti converter and as luck would have it, the overseas Dealer I tracked one down at, also had the Peerless at a reasonable price. So, to cut this short, I ended up with a Visconti converter, a Cross converter, bottles of ink and... a Cross Peerless with a medium nib.

I took a few pics to show comparative nib line width and overall pen size of the Cross as there appears to be a lot of questions pertaining to this. Essentially the Peerless medium line width is a hair smaller than that of the Sonnet medium nib.

I have been using this for two weeks now and must admit that it is really a great pen. Size, fit and weight suits me almost perfectly. I received an Aurora 88 this week, something I thought would possibly be a more ideal pen but honestly, I am still reaching for the Peerless in favour of the Aurora. The pencil/graphite like feeling of the Sailor nib on paper is intoxicating and I am absolutely loving it.

Pens used in the comparison were basically those I had in my current rotation.

Ink used;

Sonnet - Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku

Montblanc - Diamine Blue Velvet

Duofold Centennial - Edelstein Aquamarine

Peerless - Sailor Yama-Dori

post-141637-0-39582800-1570807806_thumb.jpg

post-141637-0-37325000-1570807820_thumb.jpg

post-141637-0-14198100-1570807834_thumb.jpg

post-141637-0-26485500-1570807846_thumb.jpg

post-141637-0-25072600-1570807858_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marten

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bemon

• Marten

• Tseg

• sandy101

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations on the new pen! It's a stunner. Like you, I've been thinking about buying this one for over a year now, but I haven't quite made the commitment yet. But each time I see it live, I cave just a little bit more.

Thanks for posting that lineweight comparison. It's very useful. I actually assumed that the Medium would write a significantly thinner line, given it's Sailor pedigree. So it's good to know that it's not as big a difference as I would have imagined.

Enjoy your new pen!

I have one, and never thought I'd buy a pen this expensive that was made in China. But 1) I got it for a great price, 2) the pen is great, and I also love the nib.

Really a great reinterpretation of the classic Cross shape.

I really regret selling my Verve...

the Danitrio Fellowship

Yes, I think the Peerless is as good as any pen out there.

I bought one on sale (the Tokyo version) and was really, really impressed with its quality. It's the difference between an expensive Mercedes with a Toyota, for example. The Toyota works, but the Mercedes is special.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Hi dennis_f.

Unfortunately I have no experience with any othe Sailor nibs but when using this on "cheaper" 80gsm copy paper, the thinner line width is more pronounced for some reason. The paper in the images is Rhodia and on this the difference between the Cross and for instance the Sonnet medium is marginal at best. However on copy paper the Sonnet is obviously "fatter". Which kind of suits me fine as 99% of the time I use the cheaper stuff.

Thanks for letting me know Marten. At home I tend to use Midori or Rhodia paper, but like you, most of the time (ie: mostly at work), I'm using cheaper, more absorbent paper. So when I do get around to picking one up -- your post made me start looking online again -- I'll keep your observations in mind..

I was very lucky to get a peerless in such a horrible and delightful finish as the london (brushed 23k gold with a red swarovski crystal in the finial)

My only regret? Not getting one sooner. The sailor made nib is smoother and softer than a typical sailor 21k nib, the fit and finish are superb, apart from it only being a C/C, the fit and finish put it ahead of MB at a third of the price. I figured it would feel rather generic, but it totally doesn't. I love the F nib being a proper japanese F, the thick section, surprisingly good balance, the feel of the finish (I have that barleycorn finish on my townsend and adore the way it feels in the hand) and the overall size and shape just make it a very dramatic looking and feeling thing. The attention to detail is amazing, down to the feel of the cap threads.

The real "deal maker" for me, apart from the perfect nib, was the satisfying little click post of the cap. As a near-religious cap poster, that feeling instantly made me realize what a great pen it is. I have it inked almost perpetually.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Yes! I totally forgot about the posting Honeybadgers! I don't post my pens but I did "check it out"so to speak and this does in fact post very, very nicely with the accompanying "click" as you put it.

I must also agree with your observations pertaining to fit and finish. It is superb.

After I received mine, I was in two minds if I liked the finish. It does come across as a bit "blingy"and I berated myself that I had not rather purchased the model in black lacquer. However, this has really grown on me and sort of hints (Well to me at least) at a Steampunk genre. Which I do enjoy. Easily my most favourite writer currently and I might just get another in fine...

I use a Peerless London as a daily writer at work. Love it unposted!!! Cannot beat the nib and the shape is great for my XL hand.

• 3 weeks later...

Good choice, glad you got one. thumbup.gif

I like the heft, girth and the Sailor nib.

When in rotation, it is used unposted and has always been a pleasure to use.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 2 months later...

I finally got one..... :) Couldn't afford a new one but snagged a black version on the 'bay a few days ago. It arrived today. Gorgeous. Unfortunately the previous owner had obviously had a leaking cartridge in it as I couldn't understand why my fingers were getting inky when I'd posted the pen. There was a lot of ink partly dried at the bottom of the barrel. But it is now clean. The nib is just sooo sweet and it's a nice sized pen with decent heft. And I got it for a good price too with box, outer box and a bag full of cartridges that I'll never use!).

Edited by Aysedasi

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

This is back on my list- actually one of the "final" pieces I want to round out my collection. Final of course being in quotes because there will always be something to chase.

I was looking for one in the same trim OP has, but I just checked Cross' Canadian site and it looks like it's not available. Though I'd end up buying on eBay for hundreds less anyway, so maybe that's moot.

Three things put me off initially: Chinese production, a sailor nib (too toothy) and the unavailability of a broad nib. Usually I'm a medium guy, but Sailor mediums are too fine. Someone had one out and inked up at Scriptus though and I decided to give it a spin. It seemed to ride a lot smoother than any Sailor in my collection, and even put down a decent line. But maybe that's because it was freshly inked and the feed was saturated.

More than that though, it felt really solid to hold.

So I'm not rushing into it, and I may even go used. Kind of bothers me that Cross off shores their production so maybe it's petty but I'd rather hand over my money to an individual.

Aaand 20 minutes later I bought one. 'F you Fountain Pen Network.. fueling my impulsive nature! I hoped on to eBay after I wrote my last post just to see where prices were and someone was selling the finish I wanted with a zoom nib for $300. I mean.. I shouldn't have.. but I there we have it!

Excellent!

I am rather curious though as to which is your preferred finish Brent?

The medalist. I found one on eBay with a zoom nib and it looked like a 10/10 based on pictures. I’ll take the gamble!

Hello pen fans! Anyone know the difference between a Broad nib and the Zoom nib on these Peerless FP's?

the difference is in the angle you hold the pen. Zoom nib have difference line variance based upon the way the pen is held. Sailor makes these nibs for the Peerless. check out more details here https://goldspot.com/blogs/magazine/writing-with-a-sailor-zoom-nib