The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Ink-Vue Repair: Washer

ink-vue repair

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 uilleann

uilleann

Near Mint

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 17:00

Bought a Waterman Ink-Vue , standard size. It would not fill. So, using Richard Benders ref. page. I pulled it apart. It had a ladies size sac with a hole in the sac neck and a washer seal that was petrified. The previous restorer had a section of a larger sac that they put around the ladys sac so the lever would have something to squeeze.

So I made the spanner wrench, pulled it apart, cleaned out the old washer seal. As for the washer, Binder mentions a seal material but provides no info on what exactly it was or its size. I currently have a bicycle tube, lots of pen sacs, and 1/16 and 1/32 inch thick neoprene rubber. Would any of these work?

As fo the size, Binder suggests a 2mm hole in the center (I have a punch for that). But does not mention and OD. I think measuring from the threaded id of the barrel it is about 6.8mm. The seal nipple OD is about 6.7mm. I cannot measure it but in the barrel just below the threads, near the small center hole, it is about 7mm. What is a good OD for the seal?

BTW I tried a seal at 6.7mm. Seems to be a tight fit (soapy water check while blowing into the barrel). I also notice that if you tighten the spanner fitting, too much, you can squeeze that washer seal hole closed. Then if you squeeze the bulb.... it stays squeezed!

Edited by uilleann, 10 October 2019 - 17:03.

Sponsored Content

#2 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2019 - 19:26

Uilleann,

Binder's page does provide a washer O.D. figure, as does his book. But you must infer it from the wrench size.   The larger size is for the standard, the smaller size is for the Lady Patricia pens.  I am in the middle of an ink-view restoral at this time as well, so I am generally familiar with Binder's page and have a copy of his book.  

The O.D. for the standard washer is about 7.15mm... or 9/32 of an inch....or 0.283 inches.    (I measured mine with digital calipers just now, which matches Binder's numbers)

I have a very odd ink view I am restoring, but it conforms to the Standard size for most parts... and has a number 7 keyhole.  

Best of luck to you Uilleann!

p.s.  I would suggest a 2.4mm hole in the washer, as you have plenty of mating surface for a seal.  This will produce fewer problems with the hole squeezing shut when the pen is assembled.  

Edited by Addertooth, 11 October 2019 - 19:31.

#3 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 November 2019 - 13:40

For those who do not want to take the time to find sources for rubber sheet, make punch for the inner hole, make a punch for the outer diameter of the seal... there is a plan-B.

Instead, purchase a Sheaffer piston filler rebuild kit from one of the great pen shops, or even Ebay if you can't find a shop which carries them.  

Place the white washer to the side, place the O-Ring to the side.  Grab the rubber piston washer. Use that washer as your seal.  Use a wooden stick to push the edges of the seal until they are flush with the bottom.  Otherwise, the edges will hang up on the threads and want to curl upwards.  Boom, you have a seal which you didn't have to make.  

Wasn't that easy?  No need to re-invent the wheel; life is hard enough already.  

PIctures....

1. Typical Shaeffer piston pen rebuild kit, standard size not the smaller size.  

2. Seal shown fully inserted in standard sized Waterman Ink-View pen.  

fpn_1573911508__sheaffer_piston_seal.jpg

fpn_1573911540__sheaffer_piston_seal_in_

Edited by Addertooth, 16 November 2019 - 13:41.

Sponsored Content

|