The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Stub Nib For Pelikan M1000

2 replies to this topic

#1 Midstream

Midstream

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2019 - 20:04

I have searched quite a while and can't find any shop that sells a ready made stub for a Pelikan M1000.  One of the things that sold me on the Pelikan, besides its excellent writing abilities was that it was so easy to change out nibs. I happily set out and bought a pen at the Dallas show, and started looking for a stub but none was to be found, For a mere 500 dollars I could buy a regular nib and have it ground, but for 400 I could buy an entire pen, which I guess will be my next step and send it in to be reground, I hate to lose my ability to use my Pelikan daily so will but another and have it sent in. So my question is, before I do that, can anyone recommend someplace or someone that has just the nib, or if I do have to send one in to have redone, who would you send it to? thanks in advance.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 20:18

Perhaps you could look for a used BB nib.

I have a slightly stubbish OBB on my 1005. (Not as stubbish as my semi-vintage small W.Germany 600 which is not quite as stubbish as my vintage pens....'50-65 era....are stubs to start with, along with semi-flex for a flairing stub look.)

(Semi-flex is Not a lettering nib , unless you want to over stress it.) Nor is it a 'flexi' nib.  It gives real nice flair with out you having to do anything.

It came to my attention...just lately :headsmack: ) if one has to write slow with it, then you are over flexing the nib. I scribble just as fast with semi-flex as any other of my pens.

I have B and OB in Pelikan :puddle:  and (OBB in another brand) from that era.....the Pelikan 500's OBBB is much too big to use outside of big 2/3rds-3/4ths a page wide signatures.

That vintage stub semi-flex B nib beats my stubbed to 1.0 or B modern 600 nib, because it also semi-flex.

Unfortunately the 400/400nn nibs will not fit a 1000 or 800, will fit a 600..

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#3 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,762 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 06:32

Where are you located in the world? You can buy just a nib unit and have it ground pretty easily in the US. Other countries have options too of course. Nib units are available from European sellers. With a coupon and not paying VAT (again assuming US) they are under $200. A stub grind would be about $40. Add in shipping or get it done at a pen show.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|