Is There A Problem With Making This A Part Of My Normal Restoration Routine?

eharriett

I know there's at least one person that will say, "if you ask if there's any problem with doing.... then the answer is usually yes," :) But I wanted to ask anyway.

As I take apart and restore my vintage pens with 70-90 year old ink ink it, after I finish letting it sit in water with a touch of Dawn detergent until its clean, I cane upon a couple pens that needed a little more cleaning, so I put it in an empty ink sample tube with a little bit of amonia and water. Let it sit overnight and the solution was black with more ink, even though the water/detergent I normally use was clear by then.

So my question, as you can guess, is there any problem with making sitting in an ammonia bath for the nib and feed part of my regular restoration routine?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• Freddy

• Ron Z

• Sailor Kenshin

Top Posters In This Topic

I dimly remember having read that ammonia can damage gold nibs.

Ebonite sections can bleach out with prolonged contact with water (can be polished back, but still).

I recommend further research.

Agreeing also with Polanova, my query is, what is your need for this level of cleaning? While you do not specify, it sounds like you are trying to get all ink traces out of lovely ink-soaked ebonite feeds rather than merely clean an ink window.

X

Ammonia can be corrosive, and as mentioned, can damage the gold of nibs, especially with extended exposure i.e. over night soaking. A short cleaning with Dawn and ammonia is often needed to clean a pen (primary ingredients in the pen flushes on the market), and I don't worry about the 2-3 minute ultrasonic cleaning cycle. But the extended exposure to the ammonia over night can make gold nibs brittle, and lead to cracking.

An ultrasonic with the solution is better, and Rapidoeze better still. You can buy it in quart bottles on Misterart.com at a reasonable price, and on Amazon. I know somebody will pipe up "I just soak my nibs in water." Grand. But there are many times when that simply is not enough, and when the cleaning solution alone is not enough.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I know there's at least one person that will say, "if you ask if there's any problem with doing.... then the answer is usually yes," :) But I wanted to ask anyway.

As I take apart and restore my vintage pens with 70-90 year old ink ink it, after I finish letting it sit in water with a touch of Dawn detergent until its clean, I cane upon a couple pens that needed a little more cleaning, so I put it in an empty ink sample tube with a little bit of amonia and water. Let it sit overnight and the solution was black with more ink, even though the water/detergent I normally use was clear by then.

**So my question, as you can guess, is there any problem with making sitting in an ammonia bath for the nib and feed part of my regular restoration routine?**

**Don't need to guess.....Answer: It ain't good.**

Fred

Old woman.

Man.

Sorry.

What knight lives in that castle over there?

I'm 37. What?

I'm 37. I'm not old.

Well I can't just call you man. You could say Dennis.

I didn't know you were called Dennis.

You didn't bother to find out..did you?..............Dennis The Constitutional Peasant to the King

Rapidioease is not ammonia based. I recal it is triethanol amine.

Ammonia leached the copper out of gold alloy and can result in embrittlement.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Just looked on Amazon UK . Quart bottle of Rapidoeze is £64 (inc delivery). DIdn't win the Euromillions the other night so maybe I'll stick to filtered water and a drop of Fairy Liquid. :D

(I suppose I could ask Ron how long a quart bottle lasts him. I believe the stuff can be re-used several times?)

Yesterday is history.

Tomorrow is a mystery.

Today is a gift.

That's why it's called the present

I've had my quart bottle of Rapido Eze for several years.. have not used more than a fifth to clean my 200+ pens over that time.

Found this thread on the Rapidoeze with a sterling recommendation from RonZ. Made my purchase tonight and shall put my ammonia bottle back next to Mr. Clean.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/153237-koh-i-noor-rapido-eze-pen-cleaner/

Rapido-eze is the way to go..............................Not ammonia..Mr anything.....Years ago some folk

extolled the virtues of 409...Please put that one on the {sounds like fit} list...

Fred

Doctor { Vinnie Boombatz } ...I can't take it no more...Everyday I wake up..I look in the mirror

and I want to throw up....What's wrong?

I don't know..but your eye sight is perfect....

I tell ya I get no respect.....Rodney Dangerfield, Last week I met the Surgeon General, he offered me a cigarette.....{rim shot}

Rapidioease is not ammonia based. I recal it is triethanol amine. ...

Use caution and plenty of ventilation with Rapidoeze pen cleaner, because the triethanolamine is known to cause asthma and exacerbate existing asthma. I have asthma caused by floor cleaning products at work. A single exposure to a floor stripper containing ethanolamines took my asthma from mild to severe.

Ammonia also triggers asthma, but is less likely to cause asthma in someone who does not now have asthma.

http://www.dick-blick.com/msds/DBH_2293200001001.pdf

Edited by WalterC

I need to get an ultrasonic cleaner.

Got it. Don't do that.

Thank you

I put my parts in a regular old plastic container with water or if I'm feeling professional: distilled/demineralised water.

I then put the container on a running washing machine or similar machine. The machine vibrates, thus the container vibrates, thus the water vibrates, thus I get a hobo ultrasonic cleaner. A hobosonic cleaner if you will.

Edited by DonLeone

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[

I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.