Opus 2 And Opus 3

jpk

After making some kit pens I tried my first complete diy pen from left over material. Opus 3 is the green one, see attached pictures: it has a Pelikan 750 nib and an original Omas ring (the ring is not glued, instead I widened the heated cap so that the ring holds in the prepared groove). The section and feed are from ebonite. The ends are made from delrin and glued in with epoxy (I know delrin doesn't glue well so I turned grooves the epoxy can hold to). Opus 2 (see also the first picture): the blank was way too short, the body cracked several times (and is glued with super glue), I just completed it for learning purpose and fitted a broad 14k Pelikan nib.

post-144296-0-19258400-1570538938_thumb.jpg

post-144296-0-79175800-1570539038_thumb.jpg

post-144296-0-76302000-1570539050_thumb.jpg

post-144296-0-00057600-1570539061_thumb.jpg

post-144296-0-49416700-1570539432_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpk

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jpk

• Pierre---

• SoulSamurai

• Newton Pens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Opus 3 looks fantastic! The material is beautiful, and the band and black ends really give it an extra touch of class.

The Opus 2 looks good, I wouldn't have known about the cracks if you hadn't pointed them out.

I feel as if you could blend the section into the body a little more smoothly? Both pens have a step between the section and the threads that I think could be avoided?

I feel as if you could blend the section into the body a little more smoothly? Both pens have a step between the section and the threads that I think could be avoided?

Thanks! Yes, should be possible... But my skills are limited...

• 9 months later...

Thanks! Yes, should be possible... But my skills are limited...

You can do it. Just make the diameter of the section a little bigger. If the bottom of your barrel threads are, let's say, .455" diameter, then make the section .445" or .440" diameter. This will flow into the barrel better and still fit in the cap. :)

Or, whatever drill bit you used to drill out your caps for the threads, just go down a little in size from that, so the section fits in that hole. :)

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

That was the reason why I tried to make 2 pens: one with a step outside and one with a step inside, but to avoid both I would need to make the tubes very thin...?

You can do it. Just make the diameter of the section a little bigger.

That's why I made new sections: they are already thicker than the old ones. I didn't plan the pens: no preparation, no scetches, no use of a pencil, everything improvised at the lathe...

Edited by jpk

Wow !

I am dreaming of adding a Pelikan nib to my pens. How did you do that? I thought they had some kind of exotic threading: did you find the tap or did you chased them on the lathe?

Edited by Pierre---

Etsy Web shop: Rue du Stylo

Instagram: Rue du Stylo

Pinterest: Rue du Stylo

You can pull the nib from the original Pelikan assembly and use it in another pen, or make a copy of the collar on the lathe. The latter I did to repair other pens, but on this pen I just used the nib and the original feed without the collar. And the nib now in the green pen is a new old stock 40s Waterman, extremely thin and firm. The feed in the green pen I made from ebonite...

Edited by jpk