Omar Demonstrator Frosting After Cleaning?

boulderchips

Hi friends, had a quick question for any knowledgable or science-minded pen owners out there.

I have an Opus 88 Omar — which I love — but when I clean it, something odd happens. The barrel, which is usually transparent, frosts over as soon as I empty the water out. Where water remains, it's perfectly clear, but it gradually fogs up entirely.

I thought that it was simple condensation, but it seems to stay there for good (unless there's water present). As soon as it's not in contact with water, it frosts over. I can watch it happen. It doesn't scrub away with a q-tip or paper towel, either.

I don't really mind the effect, but I was curious what caused it. Anyone else had this experience? I haven't seen this is any other demonstrator pens, but admittedly my pool isn't that large.

Picture:

post-151146-0-48018800-1570503998_thumb.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• boulderchips

• BDarchitect

• peroride

• Honeybadgers

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If that isn't condensation, then its is likely some chemical etching of the interior surface of the reservoir caused either by the ink or whatever you might have used as a pen flush besides water, or any other non-water fluid that went in there.

Do you recall what ink(s) you have been using, and how long it sat in the pen since filling and/or last cleaning?

It's hard to tell when you're showing us a picture that has condensation.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I think the OP is talking about the frosted portion closer to the nib end, beyond the obvious condensation in the back half. It is hard to dry them out thoroughly with the stopper rod behind the reservoir outlet hole.

Sorry if I was unclear. I took that photo right after a cleaning, to try to show the transition from wet (and clear) to dry/frosted (you're right, more toward the nib end).

I'd be a little surprised if it were chemical etching, but I guess it's possible. The only inks I've used in this pen are Asa Gao, Take Sumi, and De Atramentis Alexander Hamilton. I've only ever cleaned with cold water. Ink never sat for more than a day or two unused, and I always clean immediately after I run out of ink. Is this how chemical etching would look?

Edited by boulderchips

Oh, also - it happens on the inside of the cap, too (the part around the nib that's usually clear), which makes me think it's not from the ink. But I could be wrong here.

My Opus 88 clear Omar is frosted over in the barrel just like yours and has been for about a month since the pen has been cleaned and emptied.

Empty.

I do not have much concern as function is maintained if refilled.

At least I know there are good seals!

Maybe it happens on ebonite of my Noodler's Boston Safety, but I just can't see B)

All of the pics on Goulet's website show the same "frosting" look on a brand new Omar. Click through all the pics...I'm under the impression this is how it is supposed to look when dry.

Assuming you bought it brand new and unopened/unused, do you recall how it looked before the first cleaning/fill?

Or are you asking why the pen looks clear when it is wet?

My Opus 88 clear Omar is frosted over in the barrel just like yours and has been for about a month since the pen has been cleaned and emptied.

Glad to know it's not just me!

All of the pics on Goulet's website show the same "frosting" look on a brand new Omar. Click through all the pics...I'm under the impression this is how it is supposed to look when dry.

That's funny, it does look frosted in all those pics! This is making me question my memory, but I noticed a pretty stark difference when I first used and cleaned the pen. I remember remarking on how clear it was when I first received it, especially in the cap. You could see the nib clearly. I have no idea why it would only start to look frosted after being cleaned...or maybe I'm just delusional?

Or are you asking why the pen looks clear when it is wet?

I'm curious about this, too. I don't mind the frosted look, but I thought it was interesting that it's perfectly clear when wet.

There could have been a thin film of fabrication lubricant on the inside surface when you bought it that filled the micro abrasions and made it look clearer, just as the water does, and once you washed that off with a cleaning, the frosting became more apparent.

There could have been a thin film of fabrication lubricant on the inside surface when you bought it that filled the micro abrasions and made it look clearer, just as the water does, and once you washed that off with a cleaning, the frosting became more apparent.

I guess that would do it. Mystery solved? Thanks for all the input. It is one of my favorite pens regardless.

Excuse my stupidity. When I first seen a picture of the Omas 88 Demonstrator, I really liked the way it looked. One of the things that I liked was the frosted appearance it has. Is this not the same pen I seen? If it is the same pen, is the frost not a part of the look of the pen?

I'm settling this controversy once and for all. :bunny01:

Everything is Frosty.

Thank you @boulderchips for asking the question. You're not delusional at all :)

I was trying to find my old review pic of the Omar to compare old with new when I realized, I have a brand spanking new pen in a box I was saving for another nib swap. Both barrels are frosted. They were never clear. :thumbup:

The Goulet photo shoot is a little confusing depending on the picture you see: https://www.gouletpens.com/products/opus-88-omar-fountain-pen-clear just compare the pen under a white background (first photo) to the last photo under high light under the black background, then you can really tell the difference.

The black background photo makes the barrel look Clear when in fact it is NOT. The black shut off valve rod is highlighted by the black background making it seem like the barrel is clearer than it really is.

I too initially thought the barrel is clear when this thread started I thought it was just water vapor sealed in (yeah right after a month!) or ink to inner barrel reaction. :headsmack: I really didn't care much as all my ink is not colorless so I always see the ink color slosh around even if the barrel is frosted.

Hope that settles it.