Parker Big Red Centennial For $224 On Amazon

katerchen

Thanks Katerchen for Photos.

I ordered the pen on the 10/12 with Shipping date showing 10/29 to 10/31

Amazon updated delivery date to this Thur 10/17 to Fri 10/18

Looking forward to getting the pen so soon after ordering it !

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• Honeybadgers

• Penryn87

• MuddyWaters

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is yet another instance of those wildly varying Amazon UK prices. This and *only* this model shows the price above:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BM3TEW8/ref=pe_2640190_232748420_pd_te_o_rp_ti?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01BM3TEW8&pd_rd_r=14WZ344Z9C0CFN8KJ6NK&pd_rd_w=GHbok&pd_rd_wg=ReWbF&pf_rd_p=f7d255ff-d563-4436-bad4-116634ff92b6&pf_rd_r=14WZ344Z9C0CFN8KJ6NK&th=1

Most likely, as soon as someone buys one, it will shoot up.

Worth watching though if you miss out on it : I got the exact same one for about the same price a couple of months ago. As soon as I bought it, went up to 300+

-k

Thanks for the information! I ordered the pen from Amazon on the 10th and received it yesterday. It's a great pen and more than worth the low price I paid. Besides being beautifully made, it writes very well, with perfect flow and a lovely line quality. At least with these modern Duofolds, Parker's old tradition of quality lives on. They still know how to make perfect nibs and feeds, though it is a shame they no longer offer anything other than fine and medium points. Other than that, this Duofold is a very worthy successor to the Parker legacy.

They still know how to make perfect nibs and feeds, though it is a shame they no longer offer anything other than fine and medium points. Other than that, this Duofold is a very worthy successor to the Parker legacy.

They do offer nibs ranging from XXF to XXB along with obliques and cursive italics. See here:

http://www.parkerpen.com/en-GB/nib-exchange-pgm

Ah that's what I thought too! I purchased a Big Red about a year ago at a similar good price on Amazon. Sent it to Parker France with a request for a BB, BBB, OBB, OB or similar. Got an email back saying the only nibs available were F, M and B. This despite their website listing great choices. (Oh, when they returned the pen they failed to completely fill out the customs form and if it hadn't been for a kind soul at the US port of Entry who called me for info I doubt I'd gotten my pen back.)

They do offer nibs ranging from XXF to XXB along with obliques and cursive italics. See here:

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Ah that's what I thought too! I purchased a Big Red about a year ago at a similar good price on Amazon. Sent it to Parker France with a request for a BB, BBB, OBB, OB or similar. Got an email back saying the only nibs available were F, M and B. This despite their website listing great choices. (Oh, when they returned the pen they failed to completely fill out the customs form and if it hadn't been for a kind soul at the US port of Entry who called me for info I doubt I'd gotten my pen back.)

This is interesting (not in a good way for Parker). And odd (online vendors seem to have stock of all the nib choices, but these nibs are not free). And careless concerning the customs form. Good to know.

Edited by ardene

Actually, Parker doesn't.

fpn_1571272284__parker_nib_size_codes.jp

So don't jump for joy on sight of that, especially those of you who profess a love for writing (or printing, or drawing) in an italic script, or requiring an oblique nib to compensate for the angle of rotation at which you're accustomed to holding a pen to write.

I purchased a Big Red about a year ago at a similar good price on Amazon. Sent it to Parker France with a request for a BB, BBB, OBB, OB or similar. Got an email back saying the only nibs available were F, M and B. This despite their website listing great choices.

There are the only "great choices" listed for the Duofold Classic Big Red Vintage fountain pen:

fpn_1571272525__parker_duofold_nib_size_

so oblique and italic nibs were never options. In fact, I can't see any range (selectable from the drop-down menu) for which they are options; the Duofold (Classic or Prestige) already boasts the widest range of options in the context of the nib exchange programme.

I would be happy with an Extra Extra Fine, and I would be devastated to be stuck with a Parker "Fine" nib after I've written to Parker's official distributor here, prior to making the actual purchase, about intending to get an EEF nib through the nib exchange programme.

And odd (online vendors seem to have stock of all the nib choices, but these nibs are not free).

Parker's web site itself only lists Fine and Medium as nib options for fountain pens in the Duofold Classic range, so I wouldn't be surprised if they are the only SKUs for the pens that the online vendors can get, and to get any other nib onto the pen require at least additional work on their part. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the nib exchange programme page states,

PROCESS FOR EXCHANGE:

Working closely with retail partners, Parker provide dedicated services and professional advice on owning, using and servicing your Parker pen.

Step 1:

Please enter your location into the Store Locator and contact your local retailer to confirm if they provide nib exchange services.

Step 2 if your local retailer service is available:

If your local retailer service is available: Please visit your local retailer with proof of purchase and your pen where they will coordinate the exchange of your nib. If completed within 28 days of purchase the service will be complimentary.

so you cannot reasonably assume your preferred retailer is a participant offering to "coordinate the exchange of your nib", which doesn't even necessarily mean on-the-spot replacement from what is physically in stock. The prudent thing to do would at least confirm directly with your preferred retailer whether they've signed up with Parker for that service, and if so, whether they're prepared to do coordinate the exchange of the nib for you after taking your money for the pen but before shipping it out to you.

Anyway,

• Ron's statement above about the modern Parker Duofold being apt to dry out is a terrible concern to me;
  • the pen is no longer available as sold by Amazon US for an all-inclusive price of A$370 or less;
  • there is so niggling doubt as to whether Parker would actually come through with a fit-for-purpose Extra Extra Fine nib in exchange, after I spend another A$20 or so shipping it insured and signature-on-delivery to the official distributor here; and
  • my budget this round has already been spent on something else (two more gold-nibbed Sailor pens at good prices that I can trust to perform, and a bunch of cheaper Chinese pens, all for less than one Parker Duofold Classic Big Red Vintage pen at such a "low" price),

so I guess Parker isn't going to get my money after all for my "opportunity" to see whether the brand can redeem itself in my eyes, after my disappointment in the three gold Parker Sonnet pens I bought two decades ago.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I'll stop by a local parker dealer and ask if they offer the nib exchanges for XXF

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Smug Dill, I have followed Honeybadger's example and emailed Parker and a UK pen and nib independent retailer asking about Centennials and Sonnets (this latter might prove useful in my case). Let's get this mystery sorted out.

I have received quickly the standard response from Parker on the types of nibs they offer presently for each model. I proceed further with probing inquiries containing quite a bit of detail.

fpn_1571317272__parker_nibs_19.jpg

fpn_1571317102__waterman_nibs_19.jpg

A further quick response from Parker. The person communicating with me confirms explicitly that if, say, a medium nib Sonnet Great Expectations or blue Chevron Duofold (both types of pens have ruthenium covered nibs) the pen will return from the nib exchange program with a ruthenium-plated nib, say a medium italic. The response eschewed whether dual-tone Sonnet nibs are still being produced.

I am still waiting info from the independent retailer.

So, my thinking is that Duofold-owning fellow FPNners should communicate with the retailers they bought the pen from AND with Parker without mentioning how cheap or expensive they bought the pen first, so that they have their assurances in writing, just in case they decide not to bother with you later because your pen is not a Chevron Duofold or it was bought at a low price.

Bottom line so far: The situation appears messy enough for me not to bother even asking them about Sonnet steel nibs.

Edited a typo (and probably missed others)

Edit 2: It's the black Chevron Duofold (Prestige, etc, etc, and all the rest of it) which has the Ru-plated nib.

Edited by ardene

Well, previous experience with Parker (France), was superb...

I wanted to exchange a IM for a B under the Nib Exchange Program and as the local Agent does not stock nor cater for Duofolds they;

1) Arranged a Courier Company to collect from my place of work

2) Mailed the pen back to me with the same Courier

3) Covered all costs

I received my pen today and inked it up with Diamine Ancient Copper. Nice wet and smooth nib (I purchased a fine) but line width a bit on the broader side of fine (Yes, I know...). Actually, identical to my Parker IM medium. I am going to try another ink and if I am still not satisfied, I will make use of the exchange program and replace this with an XF or XXF. (With my previous exchange they had all the nib options available and that was early this year)

Hi Ardene.

I discussed Sonnet replacement nibs with the local Agent (South Africa).

What really surprised me was how cheap they were with an 18K coming in at about R750 ($50 at current exchange rate) and their steel nibs at R450 (About $30). Well, I have no idea what they would go for in the USA or Europe so maybe this is the going rate. Compared to this, a Lamy 2000 nib sells for R 1300 ($87)

Hi Marten,

Thank you for the info on the Sonnet nibs. There is an independent merchant in the UK who lists similar prices (with a little premium added for the gold nibs). It is the merchant I emailed earlier. Maybe I will email Parker again at some point asking them to buy extra nibs from them or through a local representative in the UK or Greece.

The Current HopDrop has the Centennial in Black/Gold, Black/Palladium and Blue/Black Palladium for $220. Shipping is free of course.

Edited by Theroc

The Current HopDrop has the Centennial in Black/Gold, Black/Palladium and Blue/Black Palladium for $220. Shipping is free of course.

Shipping isn't free for EndlessPens customers outside of US if one of those pens is ordered on its own; they'd need to pad their orders with another US$30 or more worth of stuff.

The US is not the centre of the fountain pen hobby or the assumed context of every discussion, even on an English-speaking forum such as this, I'm afraid.

I think it'd also be prudent to confirm with Michael or Ava directly whether EndlessPens is an authorised Parker dealer, if a prospective customer is contemplating even the possibility of swapping nibs through Parker's official nib exchange programme.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

It's available for ordering again at <AU$370 with "free" Prime delivery on Amazon.com.au (sold by Amazon US), and US$224 plus shipping on Amazon.com, so I "pre-ordered" one with a Fine nib. Now that I've done that, I've also sent Endless Pens a query asking if they are recognised by Parker worldwide as authorised resellers, for the purposes of determining eligibility for the nib exchange programme.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my big red to a local parker vendor and he said he believes they will take it back to france for a nib exchange to EEF for no charge. I'll know by monday.

He did grump a bit when I told him I got it for $224, since the retail is $780. He said he's gonna have to complain to parker because there's no way he can even come close to that price. But he was very very pleasant with me and said he was fairly confident they'll honor the nib exchange because it was sold through Amazon directly and not a shady grey market vendor.

So I can confirm that any authorized parker retailer will take a parker pen purchased anywhere, as long as you have a receipt that it was within 28 days (to qualify for the free exchange) but can't confirm yet that they'll honor every seller source free of charge yet. Will report back.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Could anyone link to some writing samples made with the less common parker nib sizes, such as needlepoint or Italic Medium? I've been on the fence about this periodic deal, but would be very interested if I could get an italic nib or needlepoint by substitution.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I was a little late to the party and Big Red cost me $263 with prime shipping. I got it today and I'm liking the pen but don't see it as a $780 pen. Mine is a M nib and it really fits me. Smooth, wet and a 0.5mm line width I enjoy.

I was a little late to the party and Big Red cost me $263 with prime shipping. I got it today and I'm liking the pen but don't see it as a $780 pen. Mine is a M nib and it really fits me. Smooth, wet and a 0.5mm line width I enjoy.

I agree, it'd be hilariously overpriced at MB 149 prices. But the 149 is hilariously overpriced too.

Honestly, if it was a piston filler, I'd say it was close to a 149 in quality, if it could be purchased with the huge variety of nibs they'll let you exchange into.

The fit and finish are stellar, but it just lacks the special materials that pens north of $500 demand.

And I wish it posted properly. if it posted like an M200 It'd instantly be one of my favorites.

Hi Guys.

I ordered mine in a fine which wrote more like a "thin" medium so contacted Parker, France again on this.

They arranged UPS collection from me (At no charge) and this went over to them on Thursday last week for an exchange to XF. They will then in turn ship this back to me again at no charge.

Now THAT is service...!

(There was also absolutely no issue with where I purchased from nor the pricing on the pen)