The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Big Red Centennial For $224 On Amazon

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#1 katerchen

katerchen

Slow and furious

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2019 - 00:29

This is yet another instance of those wildly varying Amazon UK prices. This and *only* this model shows the price above:

https://www.amazon.c...0CFN8KJ6NK&th=1

Most likely, as soon as someone buys one, it will shoot up.

Worth watching though if you miss out on it : I got the exact same one for about the same price a couple of months ago. As soon as I bought it, went up to 300+

-k

Sponsored Content

#2 Theroc

Theroc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2019 - 07:52

This offer is actually from Amazon Prime US. It's been frequently dropping to this price point since June 2019. See the green line:

Parker Big Red.png

Always temporarily out of stock at this price, but they will honor this price and ship eventually. That's how I got mine.

Edited by Theroc, 07 October 2019 - 07:53.

#3 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2019 - 00:31

I caved. $225 is about the breakpoint I've been wanting to get one of the large duofolds, and I've always liked the red.

Okay, y'all stop posting good deals on pens. I'm broke for now.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 09 October 2019 - 00:44.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#4 Marten

Marten

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:42

Heh Heh...

I have a Big Red Centennial with a broad nib which I have only used twice as it is a bit too broad for daily use on cheap paper. Been contemplating ordering a fine nib unit but due to the high cost I just have not been able to justify this.

Sooo... The price on Amazon (Including delivery and Duties) is a few dollars more than what a nib unit would cost me. 

So yes, I have also ordered one, even though I have overspent a bit on pens this year. But this type of deal does not come around often. Way cheaper than even ordering directly from the UK or Europe and excluding the cost of postage from the equation.

#5 AGxM

AGxM

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:47

Also caved...not quite the Big Red of my dreams but too good to miss....

#6 katerchen

katerchen

Slow and furious

• 913 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:48

Did you get it at that low price? Now it shows : "New (3) from $298.42 + $9.85 Shipping"

#7 AGxM

AGxM

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 02:10

Got it for SGD$313 which is about the US$225 - now showing at SGD$604 or US$438

#8 Marten

Marten

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 12:06

And my apologies. A bit rude on my part not also thanking you katerchen for supplying the info on this deal. Much obliged to you.

Yes, prices have climbed since yesterday I see. Significantly as well.

#9 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,274 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 16:25

Be sure to double check regarding a converter! According to the listing I just saw the price was $263.00 PLUS $11.96 for a converter!

I get really tired of being nickel and dimed!!

Thanks for posting though.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#10 katerchen

katerchen

Slow and furious

• 913 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2019 - 00:34

Mine did come with a converter. But yeah the price fluctuates very wildly.

#11 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:05

I so wish I could trust Parker (and other European pens) to deliver a crisp, precise Fine gold nib! I'd even be prepared to pay a bit more than Japanese gold-nibbed pens of 'equivalent' quality for European 'heritage' or 'prestige'. The price is tempting for this pen, but I don't know if I could trust a Parker pen to either write precisely (despite having a Fine nib) or seal effectively against ink drying out when capped. :(

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#12 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2019 - 08:50

I so wish I could trust Parker (and other European pens) to deliver a crisp, precise Fine gold nib! I'd even be prepared to pay a bit more than Japanese gold-nibbed pens of 'equivalent' quality for European 'heritage' or 'prestige'. The price is tempting for this pen, but I don't know if I could trust a Parker pen to either write precisely (despite having a Fine nib) or seal effectively against ink drying out when capped. :(

My fine is a solid western fine.

Parker offers free nib exchange within 30 days for 14 different sizes, from OBBB to XXF. 

It's also a screwcap, so no dryout issues.

I'm impressed with the fit and finish. It doesn't post deeply enough for me, but the length is solid and it's well balanced.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#13 ardene

ardene

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 919 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2019 - 09:35

In my experience with modern Parkers it's just an if about ink drying out and even when there is some drying out going on it takes close to two months for ink to dry out entirely. Their nibs, especially those of the higher end Parkers, are indeed laying down comparatively thick and wet lines; they do however write precisely.

#14 Theroc

Theroc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2019 - 16:46

My only quibble with the current production (France) of the Centennial is the nib engraving. The UK version with arrow quill engraving looked much better, not to mention is iconic Parker.

#15 Bagpiper

Bagpiper

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:09

$223 again Sat 10/12/19 at 10:55 EST

Does anyone know if this pen is the same one found on the Parker Website, $489

http://www.parkerpen...-nib-1931375--1

or is it this one For $692

http://www.parkerpen...-nib-1931377--1

Thanka

#16 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 3,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:09

Parker offers free nib exchange within 30 days for 14 different sizes, from OBBB to XXF. 

Thanks. I didn't know about that. I'll have to ring Parker on Monday, though, to find out whether that applies in Australia, especially if I buy a Parker pen sold by Amazon US via Amazon.com.au. The Store Locator facility on Parker's web site pulls up nothing here.

If I'm able to get a EEF nib for the pen, then I'd be seriously interested.

It's also a screwcap, so no dryout issues.

In my experience with modern Parkers it's just an if about ink drying out and even when there is some drying out going on it takes close to two months for ink to dry out entirely.

Two months is not nearly good enough compared to other gold-nibbed, screw-capped Japanese fountain pens. Still, that's better than drying out in under four weeks.

What the hell is wrong with manufacturers who can't machine the threads precisely enough that there is essentially no gap through which air and vapour may escape, with materials such as resin that neither expands with moisture and temperature nor is permeable? :(

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#17 katerchen

katerchen

Slow and furious

• 913 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 00:41

$223 again Sat 10/12/19 at 10:55 EST

Does anyone know if this pen is the same one found on the Parker Website, $489

http://www.parkerpen...-nib-1931375--1

or is it this one For $692

http://www.parkerpen...-nib-1931377--1

Thanka

It is the Centennial size.

The green marbled one is an International, for comparison.

https://photos.app.g...BthCKokw6vbkEM9

#18 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 3,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:14

Hmmm. I just spoke with Parker's official distributor in Australia (Newell Brands), and it seems the nib exchange programme does indeed apply here, although just to be sure I'm sending them a follow-up email to confirm whether Amazon US is considered an authorised dealer for this purpose.

However, in the meantime I see the price has shot back up (because Amazon US doesn't seem to be listed as a seller right now, although chances are it'll come back again in the next so many days) on Amazon Australia for the model, so no matter the answer this will have to wait.

#19 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:31

Thanks. I didn't know about that. I'll have to ring Parker on Monday, though, to find out whether that applies in Australia, especially if I buy a Parker pen sold by Amazon US via Amazon.com.au. The Store Locator facility on Parker's web site pulls up nothing here.

If I'm able to get a EEF nib for the pen, then I'd be seriously interested.

Two months is not nearly good enough compared to other gold-nibbed, screw-capped Japanese fountain pens. Still, that's better than drying out in under four weeks.

What the hell is wrong with manufacturers who can't machine the threads precisely enough that there is essentially no gap through which air and vapour may escape, with materials such as resin that neither expands with moisture and temperature nor is permeable? :(

even something like my tactile turn gist, which has no "proper" sealing inner cap, only relying on metal matching metal, and has very coarse threads, but they're cut so precisely the pen just doesn't dry out.

I think the biggest problem parker has is the design of the inner cap on the sonnet having exposure to air. you can blow into its cap.

I can't find a leak in my duofold when I blow into the cap.

#20 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 3,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 05:58

Newell Brands in Australia just replied to me in writing to confirm that they recognise Amazon as a reseller of their products.

Now I just have to wait until that low price becomes available again — and before I spend that 'budget' on something else.

Or maybe I'll get the Prestige Ruthenium Chiselled version. Also at almost the lowest price ever, according to camelcamelcamel. However, there are just so many other pens I could buy with that kind of money instead, including makes and models with nibs I know I can trust (such as more colours of the Diplomat Aero)...

Edited by A Smug Dill, 14 October 2019 - 11:48.

Sponsored Content

|