The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Visconti Michelangelo Grande Le Double Reservoir Filling Problem

visconti michelangelo le double reservoir vacuum filler

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ciliegia

Ciliegia

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:23

Hi all

I've read that the Visconti limited edition double reservoir pens hold 'a ton of ink'. How much is 'a ton of ink'? Subjective, I know, but I'd consider 'a ton' to be more than 0.6mls. 

That's all that my limited edition Michelangelo Grande holds. 0.6mls. 

I've just conducted an experiment by filling and emptying it 12 times in succession; each time (using an ink sample vial to get an accurate measurement) it has only filled 0.6 mls. 

Here's my fill process....can anyone spot an error in this method?

I unscrew the blind cap with the nib pointing upwards

Pull out the plunger fully

Hold the pen nib down and depress the plunger fully just to check that the pen is completely empty.

Re-pull out the plunger fully.

Put the entire nib fully into the ink (so that the ink also covers 1/4 inch of the section)

Depress the plunger in one smooth, confident steady movement

Count to five (though I've also counted to ten, for good measure) 

Remove the pen from the ink.

Wipe the section.

Hold the pen nib down

Close the blind cap. 

Following that process, when I empty the pen into a sample vial, it contains just 0.6mls of ink. Not 0.6mls in the top reservoir, and a further ml or two in the main reservoir. Just 0.6mls in total. 

Am I being a total numpty and missing something? Is there a way of releasing the ink from the main reservoir that I'm overlooking? I've tried unscrewing the blind cap and jiggling the plunger when the nib is pointing downwards...no joy. I've tried unscrewing the blind cap, jiggling the plunger and trying to move ink from the main reservoir with the pen held horizontally...no joy. The main reservoir seems to be completely empty. 

Or is a 'ton of ink' 0.6mls and I just have unreasonable expectations?

Ideas, anyone?

Edited by Ciliegia, 06 October 2019 - 17:57.

Sponsored Content

#2 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 12:44

Vac fillers work best when you depress the plunger quickly. If you are taking longer than half a second to depress it, then just do it faster. Different pen, but my Pilot 823 won't fill properly unless I depress the plunger very quickly. I'd try to be more aggressive with it (just don't hurt the pen).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visconti, michelangelo le, double reservoir, vacuum filler

Sponsored Content

|