The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Staedtler Premium Corium Urbes Prices On Amazon Are In Free Fall

staedtler leather premium fountain pens

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Theroc

Theroc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 20:28

Staedtler's beautiful Premium cities fountain pens are collapsing on Amazon's Global UK store.

Most of them are very low stock. Amazon's pricing algorithm does some very odd things in such instances.

These are $250 MSRP (And quite a few are priced accordingly) but some versions are selling for under $40. Even the ones that are priced higher are becoming cheaper day-by-day.

The FOMO is extreme, but I already have a bunch of them. That does not mean others should miss out:

https://www.amazon.c...990&ref=sr_pg_1

Staedtler's Premium fountain pens are exquisitely well-made, their only flaw is that they are ridiculously over-priced. That's not a problem now :P

Usually when Amazon prices collapse like that, the item is never coming back.

Sponsored Content

#2 peroride

peroride

Write now, enjoy pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 21:26

Thanks for the FOMO call

Discounted 5 times regular price: Jakarta, Rio De Janeiro, Melbourne look like places to visit !

If only pen prices matched vacation prices  :D

#3 Theroc

Theroc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 00:25

If only pen prices matched vacation prices  :D

If only. I'd settle for the discount percentage, doesn't have to be the pen's price.

#4 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 04:19

Ordered three cheap ones in F, M and B.

Thanks for the heads up!

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#5 Theroc

Theroc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:42

Ordered three cheap ones in F, M and B.

Thanks for the heads up!

:thumbup: Glad to be of service.

#6 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:21

Seems to be done and dusted now.....

#7 leporeju

leporeju

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 14:40

Actually, just picked up a fine Rio for $53.

#8 katerchen

katerchen

Slow and furious

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2019 - 21:25

Woot. Snagged a Melbourne for 55, shipped. 

I think these are the same pens as the Metallum, of which I have one and really like.

-k

#9 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:39

Got 2 of my 3 today, the F and the B. They're interesting pens. they LOOK like cheap souvenir pens from a distance but in the hand, the quality is obvious.

Totally not worth the ~$250 MSRP, but for $50, they're impressive. Nibs are flawlessly tuned, fit and finish is impressive, the design is a little strange but they're a 1 turn cap and the big clip is very practical. And the leather feels nice in the hand and the silkscreening on them is beautiful.

I might give 1 or 2 away as gifts, but I'm absolutely keeping one with an F nib. Probably tokyo. Sorry Jakarta/Buenos Aires

Edited by Honeybadgers, 17 October 2019 - 05:39.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#10 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2019 - 23:55

More I use 'em, the more impressed I am.

They look so silly, but they feel so unique in the hand, the leather feels nice, the clip is very practical, and the sensation of capping-uncapping is that of a hyper premium pen. There is ZERO slop in the threads. None. 

The only downside is that it's awful posted. But plenty long enough unposted.

St. Petersberg and Frankfurt are still under $60 each with Broad nibs (my F M and B are all flawless, but the B is particularly pleasant, perfectly smooth with only the barest hint of paper texture, just right flow for good shading and a great XXF reverse) but all the rest are $150-$270 again.

Still a total ripoff for more than $100, just because of the odd design and steel nib. If these had 14k gold nibs, I'd say $200 would be very fair for them.

If you want a really, really, REALLY good steel nib pen for everyday use (the leather will likely patina, but the rest of the pen feels tough as nails) for only a bit more than a faber castell loom, I highly recommend grabbing one of the few left.

#11 Benpiggy

Benpiggy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2019 - 19:41

Thank you for the information.

I got a Frankfurt, Bold, for $57, but need $10 for shipping and tax to USA, 1 day ago.  

I hope the B is wet, broad and smooth!

It should be arriving in 2 weeks.

#12 Jamerelbe

Jamerelbe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2019 - 21:31

They don't ship to Australia :(

#13 Benpiggy

Benpiggy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2019 - 00:26

I am sorry to hear that  :angry:

#14 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 5,156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2019 - 09:04

Thank you for the information.

I got a Frankfurt, Bold, for $57, but need $10 for shipping and tax to USA, 1 day ago.  

I hope the B is wet, broad and smooth!

It should be arriving in 2 weeks.

Mine's a solid B. not crazy broad, but a solid western B. It's tuned perfectly, not a firehose but lays down enough for great shading and sheen, and there's not a hint of scratchiness or tooth, just a lovely, precise hint of drag.

#15 Theroc

Theroc

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2019 - 00:18

If the urban designs of the Urbes series do not appeal, and you prefer more restrained aesthetics, good deals can also still be found on the Lignum (wood) and Resina (resin) Staedtlers.

Though the markdowns are not as significant as for the Urbes, but that's mostly because the Urbes are priced much higher to begin with.

#16 Benpiggy

Benpiggy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 09:02

Just arrived on 2nd Nov. Very fast.

A solid pen. Very wet and broad. Love it.

Can post, but looks odd and cap heavy.

Still, a gorgeous pen. Original price is crazy, but the current sale price is decent.

Fantastic nib!

Happy.

#17 morbidsteve

morbidsteve

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 November 2019 - 21:49

Based on the info you guys provided I just bought a Madrid and a Santiago, both under $60, M nibs. Hope they are juicy as you all say!

#18 Benpiggy

Benpiggy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 November 2019 - 02:05

Great choices

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: staedtler, leather, premium, fountain pens

Sponsored Content

|