The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conway Stewart 15 Cap Band Loose.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cris56

Cris56

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:15

I was lucky enough to purchase a CS 15 in mint, unused condition. Also in the same purchase 2 Dinkie 550s ( 1 blue marble and 1 green marble ) in their original boxes and also mint unused. They were part of an estate and had been stored all these years. All 3 pens with gold nibs, clips and cap bands.
My question relates to the 15s cap band being slightly loose, not coming off but rotating askew in its groove. What adhesive is safe to use with this material so I can firm the band and not affect the cap material ?. As an aside, all levers are stiff so the sacs have petrified. I am unsure of sac sizes, I think the 15 takes a No 16 sac. The Dinkies I believe are No 15, am I on the right track? . All advice gratefully appreciated. Cheers, Cris.
Words flowing from the soul and conveyed to paper, require the touch of a fountain pens soft carress.Distinct and individual like a lovers touch.

Sponsored Content

#2 johnmc2

johnmc2

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:55

Hello from a fellow Antipodean and Conway Stewart enthusiast.  

The first question must be, do you want the pens for a collection, or as pens with which to write?  

If the former, the advice is to leave them alone, all I would do is remove the old sacs (to prevent discolouration of the plastics due to the gases produced by the deteriorating sacs).  

If you want to "restore" them (i.e. use them for writing) then the following applies:

Don't worry about the rotating cap band.  This is a result of shrinkage of the plastic and is very hard to remedy.  Some 15s and Dinkies are made of casein, and any water-based adhesive (e.g. PVA) may affect this material.  Introducing a more permanent substance such as cyanoacrylate may be effective but will potentially affect the value, as it's an irreversible action.  Your choice.  

When it comes to sac sizes, I use a flexible approach.  Many of the sacs I remove from vintage pens are quite large, but my approach is to try various sizes, talced, in the barrel, and use the largest that will easily (and I mean easily!) slide into the barrel.  I then check that this size sac will fit over the nipple in a way that is tight but not too tight.  It should require a slight stretch, but not so much that it will tend to slide off the nipple once lubricated with shellac.  

Remember that the smaller the sac, the less likely it is that the heat of your hand will be transferred to the contents and cause flow issues.  Against that, you have to balance the amount of ink you want to be able to fill.  

Edited by johnmc2, 05 October 2019 - 04:56.

#3 Cris56

Cris56

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 06:09

Thank you John. I do intend to remove the old sacs from all 3. As far as I am concerned apart from a polish they will be left alone. I use a polish designed for glass, it is inert so no reaction to the material of the pen. They will be in a display cabinet together with a number of other British pens I have. My other main interests are Onoto’s of which I have 7 and Esterbrook J’s, I have 5 and 1 SJ. One of them in Dubonnet Red with a Osmiroid medium rolatip nib is my daily writer. The others are Wyvern, New Bond, Platignum, Montblanc, some Parkers and Sheaffers. Got bitten by the bug 3 years ago when I got out of Hospital and haven’t looked back. Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.
Words flowing from the soul and conveyed to paper, require the touch of a fountain pens soft carress.Distinct and individual like a lovers touch.

Sponsored Content

|