NickiStew

No imposition? Perfect. Well, if you don't mind check the Noodler's "Brexit" review incl. the text on the bottle https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/312368-noodlers-brexit-exclusive/

Was the "perfect" sarcastic? Nothing that I wrote was.

I find the bottle label quote that you reference here a backhanded compliment/criticism of the British monarchy under King George and the manner of ruling the American colonies and the American War of Independence. If standing up for independence against colonialism is a form of objectionable political labeling, then by all means avoid the brand. It seems hardly an "imposition," but you may have other feelings about colonial rule (I object to it). And if the sly reference to the EU as a foreign ruler is also an "imposition," then again, by all means avoid the brand. But of course, the debate among all Europe and the UK was exactly about the various positions on how much autonomy to give up. It seems hardly an "imposition" to me to simply indicate which philosophical side one may stand on. I, for one, am an EU supporter (I think Brexit is a mistake), but I also support Liverpool, and I am an American in the US. We can buy products, I think, without being too imposed upon by the philosophical or geopolitical positions or statements of manufacturers. Or at least I can, and I wanted to state that I don't find these bottles/labels objectionably political. And I certainly find them more interesting and creative than the Diamine labels (I actually own more Diamine inks, but we're not talking about what is in the bottle--although this fact may make this conversation trivial).

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aurore

• TSherbs

• inkstainedruth

• Enkida

Wow. And I thought Noodler's Inks got political.... :huh:

That being said, this looks like a really pretty ink. What's the dry time like?

Three years and counting...

This is the best post I've ever read!

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

Was the "perfect" sarcastic? Nothing that I wrote was.

No, it was not sarcastic, I was just glad I got your point whether I agree with it or not.

If you find the analogy between the EU and colonialism Tardif was suggesting (using it to sell a couple of bottles in a foreign country) acceptable, then ok, however I do not. Honestly, I do not care much what is your political view, or Tardif's or my own, it has nothing to do with pens/inks, I just believe such names - whether witty or not - as Diamine brought (moreover a British company) are reasonably acceptable while Tardif's genius (this was sarcasm) using politics in his attempt of selling a couple of bottles is not. Regardless it was pro or against Brexit, I just find it inappropriate. The only reason I brought it was you were claiming none of his titles is political or an imposition, on the contrary I found his Brexit ink (bottle) exactly such. Just an opinion, with all respect.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

I see it as just a very mildly amusing name to develop sales by having a topical title.

It is no big deal, just marketing.

....using politics in his attempt of selling a couple of bottles ....

I don't think he does this. I don't even agree with your use of the term "politics" for what his labels refer to.

We're clearly very far apart on this. Have a good day!

Must step in. I think humour should not be construed as politics.

I can hardly see how a sticker in a bottle can coerce or impose on anyone's behaviour. I can see how anyone may use the media at their reach to express themselves. But besides as freedom of speech, I can hardly see that as an imposition. Well, I know there are those who hear voices and must follow "the writing on the wall", but I expect they are not that many.

On "Brexit" ink. Whether I like politics or not, reading Nathan's commentary in any way other than irony, sounds to me pretty sensitive. I only see a joke where a descendant of people who had to fight themselves independent, now points to the (long dead) representative (King George III) of those who didn't want his ancestors to quit the irony of some of their descendants feeling in a similar situation now. Oh, and calling for mutual understanding in the end.

If that is not a joke, then "Bloody Brexit" isn't either. Whether that is in a good or bad taste is obviously debatable. But nobody can't deny the fine irony of Nathan, or the actual pointedness of SK in highlighting how such a long "divorce" is straining everybody's patience.

And, as one who likes to read international journal's forums to "feel the air", I think that if it is OK to put forward one's opinion in a daily journal for all to see, complaining about using stickers on bottles is... well, itchy.

Edited to fix a few typos.

Edited by txomsy

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

What I find vaguely amusing is that this product has been commissioned and named by German supplier! Whether it's a serious political statement, I doubt it, as I have a feeling that a few more heavy sheeners may be forthcoming as part of their 'Bloody' series. Would be fun to see a Trump ink as part of the series? An orange colour?

Ruth, the drying time is similar to all the other Diamine heavy sheeners. Whatever that is - in terms of amount and on what paper surface.

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

OK guys, I sincerely respect your opinions and appreciate your arguments. I might not fully agree but what I do or do not agree with is the least important thing in the world anyway.
The ink looks nice, so does the Noodler's and this is the only important thing :)

Preferably EU.

I've read all your discussions on the name of this ink. But either I'm too insenstive, or I don't understand where all the fuss comes from. I might understand how someone would not like to have something with the word 'bloody' on it, because of the profanity. But as to the 'Brexit' half of the name bothering anyone... People who think it's a good idea may be so happy to get out of the EU as to want to use the ink as a reminder of the for-them-great Brexit; people who are against it will probably think that the epithet is appropriate enough. And, anyway, I'm sure that all of them wish the Brexit to finish once and for all. Whatever the outcome is, half of the British population will dislike it, but the b***** process is being a nuisance for everybody, I think.

Actually, I was thinking of buying a bottle because of the name (I've already got one of those black T-shirts with a silvery spider on it, so it seems I sort of like collecting Brexit), though I'd like to see some review first, ink-wise, not name-wise. I prefer this colour to the 'Bloody Absinth' one, even if I like the Brexit as little as I like absinth.

Edited by Cassotto

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (Oscar Wilde)

I'll have to think hard about whether or not to indulge in this one.

Oh, please do, if only to write a review as brilliant as that for 'Bloody Absinth'!

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Oh, please do, if only to write a review as brilliant as that for 'Bloody Absinth'!

Well, since my spouse wanted the ink, why not? :lol:

Also, hot take: it looks a lot like Oxford Blue to me at first gander

Edited by Enkida

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

So, you're saying "Oxford Blue -- but with lots of sheen?" Tell me more.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Don't get your hopes up, it is in my opinion a badly behaved ink if just for the dry times (I didn't bother clocking the nuances between 40 and 60 seconds, but it takes a full minute to dry enough to write without smudging). Right now I am struggling with the problem of an upgraded photoshop, the unpleasant discovery that photoshop dropped twain (scanning) support, and the fact that my scanner's default settings are so bad they make this ink look like Bilberry, which it doesn't at all in real life - it's a very dark navy blue with warm red sheen, full stop. This would have been a good thing to discover 23 scans ago, though, ugh...

Edit: ah, there we go, have a written review

Edited by Enkida

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Edit: ah, there we go, have a written review

Already read and enjoyed! Thanks!

I absolutely intend to buy this gorgeous Brexit ink, even if it's still trying to dry after three years, and deals a no-deal to my most burp-loving eyedropper :D

I absolutely intend to buy this gorgeous Brexit ink, even if it's still trying to dry after three years, and deals a no-deal to my most burp-loving eyedropper :D

The most recent novelty seems to be that you will need an exact and approved time frame for using it before you actually start.

Edited by aurore

Preferably EU.

The most recent novelty seems to be that you will need an exact and approved time frame for using it before you actually start.

You'll also need at least one major group to argue against using it in the manner to which you intended.

Keep in mind there is still a chance (whether hypothetical or not) that if you order it now it may arrive empty (or disappear a bit later).

Preferably EU.