NickiStew

bb-tamoe-river-03.jpeg

And yet another Diamine sheen exclusive with a topical name... Bloody Brexit. Whatever your political opinions may be, this is another heavy sheener for Seitz Kreuznach and their expanding collection of 'Bloody'inks!

bb-watercolour-01.jpeg

A deep rich blue serious sheening ink, that bleeds out bright turquoise with tiny hints of Royal blue when blended with water.

bb-rhodia.jpeg

When dry, the concentrated areas dry a heavy metal red. Check out that blot and the squiggles! Depending on your paper surface the ink writes a deep blue with hints of red sheen in evidence. I thought the abstract calligraphy title worked quite well - with messy, angry and frustrated lettering?

To view the full article and images please visit my blog: **** WWW.NICKSTEWART.INK ****

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aurore

• TSherbs

• inkstainedruth

• Enkida

Wow. And I thought Noodler's Inks got political.... :huh:

That being said, this looks like a really pretty ink. What's the dry time like?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I actually thought it would be a Noodler's ink....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I prefer the Noodler's version.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Political perhaps, but I think they intentionally chose an ambiguous name which can be interpreted neutrally—as a comment on the process, rather than the outcome—expressing a sentiment that most Brits regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum can agree with. I had the impression that the Noodlers inks were rather more explicitly partisan.

iPad, Midori passport and MD notebook, Quo Vadis Habana, Watson-Guptill sketchbook

I'll have to think hard about whether or not to indulge in this one. I mean, plus side, S-K is local for me. Minus side, I absolutely hate that name, no matter how ambiguously you can politically parse it. And of course it's in the same family of blue with red sheen that has flooded the market lately... But nah, mostly the name annoys me.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

I hate to point out the obvious but bile green veering towards yellow would have made more sense.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

So someone on penexchange (German FPnish site) asked SK what they meant with that name, and heres the answer

https://www.penexchange.de/forum_neu/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=25464&start=60

Translated roughly, not a profi here and there are some technical trade rule terms here I dont know how to TL properly:

First, a word about naming. A blue ink with red edges written on white paper easily conveys an association with the basic colors of the Union Jack, so choosing a name related to Britain was obvious. But what do we think of these days when Britain ones to mind? Yes, the name "Bloody Brexit" is provocative, and ultimately that was the intent. You can only bear with the grotesque spectacle that the British are presenting us with their exit plans by using black British humor.

Seitz Kreuznach is a German company with a strong international presence. We stand fully for the fundamental values ​​of a unified Europe, an idea that has given us peace, security, and prosperity for over 60 years; but if the British desire for unrestricted self-determination calls for a withdrawal from the EU, from our POV this can no longer be prevented. Great Britain is one of the strongest markets for us; due to threshold regulations, a financial stake we maintain within the UK and our sales, Seitz Kreuznach has to pay VAT (value added tax) to the British government to do business there. With Brexit we will be released from this obligation. Britain will become one of the non-EU countries and thus import duties will be borne by the British consumers instead, which will bring us significant tax relief. Although well involuntarily benefit from this development, from our point of view the consequences for our British friends will be painful. We can only regret this will happen but not prevent it. I hope that answers your question sufficiently.

With best regards,

George Seitz

disclaimer: I may have gotten the part about import taxes wrong, but the gist is, Brexit= british will pay more for SK products (aka everyone will lose), we feel bad about it but can only deal with it with humor, with a subtle pro EU anti British parliament shenanigans undertone, hence a snarky name on purpose

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

^ @Enkida, thank you for the link and the translation. This however is an ink made by Diamine, i.e. it is a British ink as opposed to one made in Austria (where I think SK inks are made). Which means that the name is intended to be taken as either a pun on the rather messy political situation in the UK at the moment (I live in the UK) or (mainly for those who know that for Brits 'bloody' accompanying something is a profanity expressing exasperation with the something in question) as a direct condemnation of Brexit.

Edited a typo.

Edited by ardene

Three years and counting...

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Three years and counting...

:lticaptd:

Seriously, though I did mean the INK dry time. Not the estimated Brexit timeline....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

At least this name more or less successfully tries to sound witty... unlike Nathan's endeavours.

Lovely shown, Nick, as always!

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

At least this name more or less successfully tries to sound witty... unlike Nathan's endeavours.

I dunno about that. One of the new (LE? inks for the Commonwealth Pen Show at the Noodler's table was called "Harold's Hearse" -- but you have to catch the reference. I did, and thought the name was hilarious -- but then, I got the reference.

I think a lot of the names of Noodler's inks are ones where you have to get the reference (if political) or being willing to look it up (if historical).

I dunno about that. One of the new (LE? inks for the Commonwealth Pen Show at the Noodler's table was called "Harold's Hearse" -- but you have to catch the reference. I did, and thought the name was hilarious -- but then, I got the reference.

I think a lot of the names of Noodler's inks are ones where you have to get the reference (if political) or being willing to look it up (if historical).

I did not mean Nathan's names are meaningless, he is actually more than creative. Nevertheless in this case it is just a witty name, without imposing any opinions or views (this is where I see the difference between this and Noodler's). Reflecting anything in a funny universal way? Great. Imposing the manufacturer's views? No, thanks.

Preferably EU.

I did not mean Nathan's names are meaningless, he is actually more than creative. Nevertheless in this case it is just a witty name, without imposing any opinions or views (this is where I see the difference between this and Noodler's). Reflecting anything in a funny universal way? Great. Imposing the manufacturer's views? No, thanks.

I've not been in your conversation, but my thoughts are so contrary to yours that I thought I'd throw my two cents in. "Bloody Brexit" to me shows no wit at all, nor do I mind it. It is simply a mild curiosity, with a bit of vulgarity and alliteration. Noodler's titles are so much more creative, and I find none of the titles political or an imposition of a point of view (as you say). They are often historical and/or military. Perhaps, for me, only the Charlie pen, but to be for freedom of speech and against assassination hardly seems political since it is a value shared around much of the world. Yes, Mr Tardif has at times spoken separately on some political things with a certain slant, but his ink titles do not seem any kind of imposition to me. And the artwork is another form of creative uniqueness. Diamine is nowhere near that (ps, I love diamine inks)

Edited by TSherbs

No imposition? Perfect. Well, if you don't mind check the Noodler's "Brexit" review incl. the text on the bottle https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/312368-noodlers-brexit-exclusive/

Preferably EU.