Inktober 2019

DrDebG

I am behind the times. I wasn't aware of what "Inktober" was until recently. I did a quick search here on FPN and did not find a topic for it.

From my brief and limited understanding, Inktober is a chance to use pen and ink to develop your drawing abilities throughout the month of October. Each day, the person taking up the challenge would sketch/draw - using pen and ink - a subject of their choice. Then you "post" your drawing on whatever social media you wish. This was started apparently by Jake Parker about 10 years ago. Mr. Parker also gives "prompts" to stimulate creativity.* Here is a link to the challenge: https://inktober.com/

Have you done the Inktober challenge before using your fountain pens and ink? Are you going to do it this year? Where do you post your drawings?

If you are doing the Inktober challenge, perhaps you could post your drawings here. It might be an inspiration for others.

So, I will climb out on the long limb and post my first ever Inktober drawing here. Please understand, I am no artist and did this really to play with my inks and pens (and brushes). But perhaps this might encourage those of you who aren't "artists" either but what to try something new.

fpn_1569979450__foxy_5x7.jpg

Foxy, here, was created with a combination of about 10 different inks, applied using fountain pens and brushes, and highlighted using Platinum fineliners.

Your comments are welcome, and certainly your drawings are as well.

Edit: *The prompt for today was "ring". I obviously didn't follow that prompt with my drawing.

Edited by 5Cavaliers

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DrDebG

• ethernautrix

• pen2paper

• LobsterRoll

Thanks, I'd been wondering what "inktober" is. I love your fox and now want to draw ponies all over my journal and To Do lists. Unfortunately, my drawings generally look more like post apocalyptic mutants, so instead I might use Inktober as an ink a day warm up for NaNoWri.

Either way, you've inspired me!

What a charming illustration! I look forward to seeing more of your artwork.

Thank you. That was very kind of you!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks, I'd been wondering what "inktober" is. I love your fox and now want to draw ponies all over my journal and To Do lists. Unfortunately, my drawings generally look more like post apocalyptic mutants, so instead I might use Inktober as an ink a day warm up for NaNoWri.

Either way, you've inspired me!

Great! I am glad to inspire someone . . . If only how not to draw! :)

Oh, I like your drawing!

I always assumed that Inktober was the challenge to use a different ink everyday, so I was eliminated. Hahaha.

But to draw something everyday? That changes everything! (I "draw" (when I do, which is not often) with black ink almost exclusively, cos I like it.)

Thank you for the explanation and the inspiration.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Hey now! Someone posted over at fpgeeks, this same topic: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/29048-Inktober-2019

Shows that Inktober has a list of daily prompts, and you either write or draw something, just use your pen(s) and ink(s) everyday.

With this new understanding, Inktober is 365 days per year for me (+1 every four years, obv.). Hooray!

But I'm still inspired to try drawing again. So thanks again for that!

etherX in To Miasto

My friend challenged me to do Inktober with her this month. I'm not an artist, and I'm working on getting over my fear of a blank page and trying to have fun with sharing drawings. Also, it's nice to get extra incentive to try something new with fountain pens and inks.

Thank you for sharing your drawing! I'm really enjoying the colors and textures.

October 2nd - the 2nd day of my Inktober Challenge. Today's "prompt" word was mindless, so I guess my little sketch is sort of a mindless sketch. I happen to love mountains and fantasize about them. This is completely a fantasy sketch for me.

BTW, this took me about 30 minutes to do. It was done completely with fountain pens, fountain pen ink and a couple of brushes and water of course. I am still getting used to how water and fountain pen ink interact in a drawing, so still learning. Ink that was used includes Akkerman Dutch Masters 03 Gere Oker van Frans, Rohrer & Klinger Blu Mare, Robert Oster Verde, and the main sketching was done with Stipula Calamo Fading Gray in a Lamy Safari Medium nib.

fpn_1570080386__10-2_6x8.jpg

As you can see, I am no artist, but it is fun to do something new with my fountain pens. I have doodled a bit, but never really drawn anything with my fountain pens.

So, come and join me.

Charming was my instant response too! Nice composition... looking forward to ongoing posts.

Thank you for your kind comments. I am just out to have a bit of fun with this.

Hey now! Someone posted over at fpgeeks, this same topic: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/29048-Inktober-2019

Shows that Inktober has a list of daily prompts, and you either write or draw something, just use your pen(s) and ink(s) everyday.

With this new understanding, Inktober is 365 days per year for me (+1 every four years, obv.). Hooray!

But I'm still inspired to try drawing again. So thanks again for that!

Thank you for your comments. And thank you for the link on fpgeeks. Wow! There are some great works of art there.

Yes, Inktober has daily prompts that you can use if that is what inspires you, as Jake Parker, the creator of Inktober, says. But it is optional.

For me, I am not going to get all tied up about rules, I am just going to have fun with this.

Edited by 5Cavaliers

This might be stretching the rules a bit, but I've decided to include photos of some of BJS's work. She is a friend and a well known artist in the Pacific Northwest of the US, who over the last couple of years has had some major health issues. I was talking with her yesterday morning and told her about the Inktober challenge, and she asked if she could participate with me on the challenge. She admitted that she hasn't drawn or painted for a couple of years, but wanted to get back into it. As she says, "art is so freeing and relaxing yet so utterly challenging". All of her work is started with pen and ink, whether it is a drawing, a pastel work or a painting. She isn't part of Twitter or Instagram, so I am going to post her challenge art here for your enjoyment. B is known for her amazing landscape work. Hope you all don't mind too much.

fpn_1570121635__mini_painting__seashore_

4"x4" Miniature acrylic started with dip pen and ink

Edited by 5Cavaliers

For me, I am not going to get all tied up about rules, I am just going to have fun with this.

I'm with you. I already use my pens and inks to write everyday, so I don't need no steekin' prompts.

Err... I still have yet to begin the drawing, though. *Hangs head*

But it's early in the month yet! Surely I can draw three things today! (Or four things tomorrow.)

Good luck to all with more determination and getting-it-done-ness!

ADDING: Ohhh! The miniature painting! Sweet! Thank you for sharing that.

Edited by ethernautrix

etherX in To Miasto

I did Inktober a few years ago, and posted the drawings here rather than on "social media" (didn't know that there were prompts, the way there are for NaPoWriMo -- interesting). Meant to do it again this year, just to get back into the swing of things. But this has been largely a bad week for me, where I spent way to much time sending "WTAF?" emails and making similar types of phone calls involving a variety of (mostly -- but exclusively) -- tech related stupid. (Yes, we're only four days into the month -- and yes, it's been THAT bad.... :angry:)

I made a brief stab last year at NaNoWriMo. Did well the first couple of days, even with the Ohio Pen Show happening at the same time. But as the month went on, more and more non-writing stuff took up too much of my time and energy (I had the same problem when I tried a second stab at "The Artist's Way" book and course (Thanksgiving is NOT the time to be going back through morning pages looking for insights and "aha" moments -- especially when you're trapped in a house full of in-laws.... :doh:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

October 3rd - I decided to use today's prompt for Inktober, 2019, which is "bait". I spent more time trying to think of what to draw for "bait" than I did doing the actual drawing. Oh well. . . so it had to be some kind of cartoon . . . it was all I could think of.

Again, I am not much of an artist, but this is just for fun anyway. So, please join me in posting your Inktober sketches.

fpn_1570141384__bait__1_of_1.jpg

"Bait" holding on for dear life

Pens and Ink: Platinum Art Fineliners; Montblanc 146, Waterman Serenity Blue, Akkerman Shocking Blue

Paper: Cheap junky Xerox copy paper that doesn't like water

Edited by 5Cavaliers

October 3rd

... So, please join me in posting your Inktober sketches.

Since last year was no inktober thread on FPN also, I started again posting my sketches here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/220855-whats-up-at-christofs/?p=4252788

But I will not be able to cover the whole month in time. Just a prompt from time to time.

C.

Since last year was no inktober thread on FPN also, I started again posting my sketches here:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/220855-whats-up-at-christofs/?p=4252788

But I will not be able to cover the whole month in time. Just a prompt from time to time.

C.

Great! Thank you for letting us know! Perhaps we can revive the Inktober threads again. And thank you for posting your art!

BJS's Day 4 Inktober entry - pen and ink sketch overlayed with acrylic.

fpn_1570342096__moms_mini_mountains_1_of