The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Why Are Conklin Nibs So Fragile?

pens nibs conklin

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,040 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 00:00

I have a few old Conklins, and I've looked at many online, and it's very hard to find one with an intact nib: I see many with the tipping broken off. I dropped my little ringtop Student Special on a carpeted floor the other day: it didn't land on its nib, but the nib cracked right across.

I love Conklin nibs, but they seem weirdly fragile compared with other nibs of the same vintage. Does anyone know enough metallurgy to give an informed answer to this perplexing question?

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 08:31

They are prone to cracking, even the bouncy, flexible nibs. Maybe it's just age. I have three very old crescents and one has cracked; the one that I never flexed. It still writes but I fear if I tried to flex it the crack might spread.

#3 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,040 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2019 - 21:08

Mr. Minuskin has offered to fix it, but I have to get my tax refund first.

#4 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,724 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2019 - 04:06

Greg can fix stuff nobody will even LOOK AT.

I got scammed on an ebay bait-and-switch vacumatic and was sent the pen with a nib that had bilateral breather hole cracks. Nobody else would even touch it, but Greg's proficiency with a laser welder (it was about $120 for the welding and tuning but the pen was a gift from my mom so I was kind of obligated at that point) saved it and even kept it flexible, but I only barely give it more than a 1.5x spread just to be safe.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 09 October 2019 - 04:06.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#5 Parker51

Parker51

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 05:22

Please remember the technology behind the production of the nibs in question was rather simple and crude in regard to the testing of the materials involved and how they were treated back when they were made.
It reminds me of how many aspects of metallurgy were clouded in mystery for a very long time. Today the structure of a metal can be carefully designed, but it is expensive to do so to get the characteristics one wants and needs. And so even today often parts are not designed optimally due to it being cheaper to build in redundancy than use highly engineered materials.
The nibs likely were not over engineered to adress a metal structure that lacks the needed tensile strength for long term use. Meaning they don't have redundancy if for some unknown reason the metal structure is lacking and so they crack or break.

#6 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,040 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:55

The nibs that have cracked or lost their tipping are from the gold-filled small ringtops someone called student specials. I wonder if those nibs are simply more cheaply made? I have other Conklins that seem to simply have sturdier (though still flexible) nibs.
Tis a mystery.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pens, nibs, conklin

Sponsored Content

|