The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Two Sided Parker

nibs parker two-sides

2 replies to this topic

#1 ozjourno

ozjourno

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 02:07

Hello nibsters,

I have two daily workhorse pens a Parker VP with a number 63 nib which writes a very fine fine and a Parker 65 with a tip much larger than the VP but it writes a very similar line. I have been photographing my various pen nibs through a microscope to try to learn a bit about tip shape and the resulting line characteristics and noticed these two nibs, unlike my Parker 51s have noticeable tipping on the upper side of the nib as well as the lower. The VP upper side appears smaller but definitely shaped and polished, The 65 has a definite flat grind. Both write really well albeit with a hair-thin line when reversed. I know the Parker 180 was famously a tw sided pens and the vacs. Does anyone know if the VP and 65 nibs were designed to be double sided?

P65.jpg

nib VP.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,529 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 17:37

I think you are simply seeing the results of the tipping and grinding methods of the past.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#3 awa54

awa54

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 17:29

A large tipping pellet can have tip geometry that allows for a fine line... Parker probably had just a few sizes of iridium* pellets that they would weld to nib bodies, then the final line width would be determined by how much of that tipping was ground away in the finishing steps.

* tipping is usually an alloy of hard metals like osmium, ruthenium, tungsten and even occasionally iridium.

David-

So many restoration projects...

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nibs, parker, two-sides

Sponsored Content

|