Conway Stewart Needs Complete Restoration. Who To Send To?

kealani

I have a Conway Stewart in excellent outside condition. I sent it to a pen repair person for a complete restoration, new sac, nib tuned and polished. I got it back and all it got was "grease" and does not fill or write. Charge was $17. (restoration quote was $40)

Rather than pursue with this fellow and waste my time, are there any reputable pen restorers, repair persons in the USA, with an online website, that I can send my pen to for restoration and nib tuning and polish?

Thanks for your help.

jim

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kealani

• Ron Z

• Honeybadgers

• northlodge

CS pens are an easy restoration..... usually!

You might do well to identify the model you are refering to, and the known issues, otherwise you will simply attract another guy who thinks it is a quick buck for an easy fix.

I got it back and all it got was "grease" and does not fill or write.

Which means that they never tested the pen after working on it.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

CS pens are an easy restoration..... usually!

You might do well to identify the model you are refering to, and the known issues, otherwise you will simply attract another guy who thinks it is a quick buck for an easy fix.

I have been thinking of doing it myself since I've have other hobbies that are far more intricate, etc.

But, not sure if I want to step into the world of fountain pen repair or refub for my own pens as I get them and as they need servicing.

Should I take the step?

I have been thinking of doing it myself since I've have other hobbies that are far more intricate, etc.

But, not sure if I want to step into the world of fountain pen repair or refub for my own pens as I get them and as they need servicing.

Should I take the step?

That's your call. Lots of people do, which is why I spend so much time answering questions here on FPN. Maybe we've saved a few pens along the way. :thumbup:

Pen repair is not rocket science, but there are some pitfalls, so best to try your hand on a few lower end pens before tackling something really nice or a pen you care about.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Unfortunately, the way of learning pen repair, leads to broken pens. That's how we end up with our spares stock, and hopeless basket cases. Once you have have serviced a good number of inconsequential pens, you will gain the tactile "feel" to service more important pens.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

Ron's very quietly making his presence known.

Send it to him. I physically could not be happier with the EXTENSIVE work he did to get my wahl doric fixed, and he did it at a stellar price.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I know my limitations. I'll do old lever fillers, but I'm paying Danny to take care of three of my 'to be serviced' pens (over 11 years "need to be serviced"), and another three to someone he recommended, where I don't have the card on me at the moment.

<edit> - Sherell Tyree of Inkpen was to whom I gave my Sheaffer piston fillers for service.

Edited by Bibliophage

• 2 months later...

Dear Jim

Could you find anybody wich are able to restore your Conway? Wich model is it?

Otherwise keep me informed.. I can do it.

All the best

Georgios

That's your call. Lots of people do, which is why I spend so much time answering questions here on FPN. Maybe we've saved a few pens along the way. :thumbup:

Pen repair is not rocket science, but there are some pitfalls, so best to try your hand on a few lower end pens before tackling something really nice or a pen you care about.

Based on what you had to do for my wahl doric, it's not so much rocket science as rocket surgery.

Any pen I'm not comfortable restoring, I'm sending to Ron. That's only been one pen thusfar, but his work was absolutely perfect.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Conway Stewarts are fairly simple to resac if someone didn't glue the section in - get the section out (can't remember if the no-no is to twist or wiggle that leads to cracks), find the right size sac, trim to fit, shellac on, and get it back in

• 5 months later...

Having done rocket surgery in the USAF, I would prefer to repair pens, some of them anyway, just not Shaeffer Snorkels.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.