The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conway Stewart Needs Complete Restoration. Who To Send To?

pen repair restoration sac nib tuning shop online reputable

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AlohaJim

AlohaJim

Carpe Diem

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2019 - 14:58

I have a Conway Stewart in excellent outside condition. I sent it to a pen repair person for a complete restoration, new sac, nib tuned and polished. I got it back and all it got was "grease" and does not fill or write. Charge was $17. (restoration quote was $40)

Rather than pursue with this fellow and waste my time, are there any reputable pen restorers, repair persons in the USA, with an online website, that I can send my pen to for restoration and nib tuning and polish?

Thanks for your help.

jim

My Photography Web Page

http://www.uscommerc...photography.com

flying-letter-exc.png

Sponsored Content

#2 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2019 - 15:04

CS pens are an easy restoration..... usually!

You might do well to identify the model you are refering to, and the known issues, otherwise you will simply attract another guy who thinks it is a quick buck  for an easy fix.

#3 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 16:05

I got it back and all it got was "grease" and does not fill or write.

Which means that they never tested the pen after working on it. 

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#4 AlohaJim

AlohaJim

Carpe Diem

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2019 - 17:46

CS pens are an easy restoration..... usually!

You might do well to identify the model you are refering to, and the known issues, otherwise you will simply attract another guy who thinks it is a quick buck  for an easy fix.

I have been thinking of doing it myself since I've have other hobbies that are far more intricate, etc.

But, not sure if I want to step into the world of fountain pen repair or refub for my own pens as I get them and as they need servicing.

Should I take the step?

My Photography Web Page

flying-letter-exc.png

#5 AlohaJim

AlohaJim

Carpe Diem

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2019 - 17:47

Which means that they never tested the pen after working on it. 

You're right.

Scary thought.

My Photography Web Page

flying-letter-exc.png

#6 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 18:01

I have been thinking of doing it myself since I've have other hobbies that are far more intricate, etc.

But, not sure if I want to step into the world of fountain pen repair or refub for my own pens as I get them and as they need servicing.

Should I take the step?

That's your call. Lots of people do, which is why I spend so much time answering questions here on FPN. Maybe we've saved a few pens along the way. :thumbup:

Pen repair is not rocket science, but there are some pitfalls, so best to try your hand on a few lower end pens before tackling something really nice or a pen you care about.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#7 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 22:52

Unfortunately, the way of learning pen repair, leads to broken pens. That's how we end up with our spares stock, and hopeless basket cases. Once you have have serviced a good number of inconsequential pens, you will gain the tactile "feel" to service more important pens.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#8 Fuzzy_Bear

Fuzzy_Bear

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 02:07

Danny at The Write Pen. Thewritepen.net
The glory of the young is their strength; the gray hair of experience is the splendor of the old.

#9 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,701 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2019 - 05:41

Ron's very quietly making his presence known.

Send it to him. I physically could not be happier with the EXTENSIVE work he did to get my wahl doric fixed, and he did it at a stellar price.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#10 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 October 2019 - 23:10

I know my limitations.   I'll do old lever fillers, but I'm paying Danny to take care of three of my 'to be serviced' pens (over 11 years "need to be serviced"), and another three to someone he recommended, where I don't have the card on me at the moment. 

<edit> - Sherell Tyree of Inkpen was to whom I gave my Sheaffer piston fillers for service. 

Edited by Bibliophage, 09 October 2019 - 00:12.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pen, repair, restoration, sac, nib, tuning, shop, online, reputable

Sponsored Content

|