• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lloyd

• sansenri

• mpkandan

• LobsterRoll

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

both brown colours, mottled and ripple are very nice, and they are also nice in the bakul finish, as they are dark enough to stand out even in the matt finish which is less contrasted.

The Emperor is a nice pen, similar size to model 3, slightly more tapering on cap and barrel end. The section however is practically identical to model 3.

It was available once only in a past group buy.

looks like there is another version of this thread...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/349636-ranga-handmade-pens-matte-is-marvelous-theme-offer-in-ebonite-models/

I'll just copy my first answer here, it was odd not finding it

Posted 02 October 2019 - 23:25

Having skipped the previous group buy, I'll be your first customer here, Mr. Kandan... :)

When it comes to bakul I find the standard rippled and mottled ebonite colours to show their value

I'm going with a clipless model 8 in mottled brown (R5), Bock gold tone nib M (as I don't have a bakul model 8 yet!)

Thank you

Dear Mr. Sansenri Sir,

Thanks for your beautiful pictures as always. Yes .Bakul is Beautiful

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Dear Mr Kandan,

I have just realised I made a mistake filling in the form, I indicated Regular Bamboo where I intended Regular Sugarcane. I hope this can be rectified. I wanted Regular Sugarcane in Olive Green S23 with German Bock -Steel #6- Chrome Mono Tone - 1.1 nib

Very sorry if this complicates things. I will also send you an email.

Regard

Dupontdelamare

here is a larger image of regular s12 pink rose (red) - black ripple, bakul, model 4C on the right :)

fpn_1570211778__p1140777-3_ranga_4_red_r

What material is the middle (polished) pen made from? How do you think it would look in matte?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Dear Mr Kandan,

I have just realised I made a mistake filling in the form, I indicated Regular Bamboo where I intended Regular Sugarcane. I hope this can be rectified. I wanted Regular Sugarcane in Olive Green S23 with German Bock -Steel #6- Chrome Mono Tone - 1.1 nib

Very sorry if this complicates things. I will also send you an email.

Regard

Dupontdelamare

Dear Mr. Dupontdelamare Sir,

Thanks. Your change in order is well noted (Regular Sugarcane instead of Bamboo). Welcome

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

I could be interested in a Model 8 if I could get it about 1/2" shorter. Is that possible?

curious, as that's an odd request.

portable pocket size?

Out of curiosity I checked it on one of my model 8s.

Considering space taken up by the converter, there is some spare space in the barrel, at least 1 cm (sorry, I don't do inches...)

the odd thing if you want a shorter barrel would be that once capped, the cap might look longer than the barrel...(see image below for quick ref.)

possibly though you could ask for a shorter cap and a shorter barrel, I think that beyond the nib there is some spare space in the cap too, less than 1 cm probably. This might require more work.

(In case of an ED a shorter barrel would be easier, but I believe there is no ED offer in this group buy)

Ask Mr Kandan though, this might be a customization he may be able to do.

fpn_1570479346__p1170078-3_ranga_model_8

What material is the middle (polished) pen made from? How do you think it would look in matte?

I'm also curious about these questions.

curious, as that's an odd request.

portable pocket size?

Got it in one. I'm stuck with "fashionable" American breast pockets that are often barely 4" deep. And I generally prefer a shorter pen; among my favorites are my M2xx and Pilot Prera. Figure 1/2" as 13mm, and you're close enough. Though, given how low the clip mounts, just blunting the ends to be more like the 3C might just do the trick for me.

Here's the reply regarding that pen. I hope sansenri doesn't mind my posting his message to me:

It was regular ebonite blue ripple. Be aware that, in pictures, this colour always looks more blue than in reality while it leans more towards teal. It may be a little too dark to show good contrast between the blue and black ripples. There may be some samples of this in bakul from past group buys.

Oscar Wilde

Got it in one. I'm stuck with "fashionable" American breast pockets that are often barely 4" deep. And I generally prefer a shorter pen; among my favorites are my M2xx and Pilot Prera. Figure 1/2" as 13mm, and you're close enough. Though, given how low the clip mounts, just blunting the ends to be more like the 3C might just do the trick for me.

model 8 is as long as model 3, 15.5 cm approx capped.

if you need a M200 size (13.5 cm capped) you need a pen mod that is a good 3 cm shorter

it also depends whether you are choosing the model 8 due to it's width (barrel approx 1.2 cm), since it is the thinnest Ranga (if you exclude the model 2 which is very rare to see...)

The model 3, 3C and 8B are of comparable width (1.3-1.4 cm), and I am sure with one of these you can easily ask for a shorter version

I've seen a modification of a 3C in which someone had asked for a shorter barrel.

just for comparison model 8 and 8B side by side, below

(I should also have a capped picture if useful)

fpn_1570558870__p1170138-3_ranga_8_and_8

Here's the reply regarding that pen. I hope sansenri doesn't mind my posting his message to me:

It was regular ebonite blue ripple. Be aware that, in pictures, this colour always looks more blue than in reality while it leans more towards teal. It may be a little too dark to show good contrast between the blue and black ripples. There may be some samples of this in bakul from past group buys.

Yes, two things to note on the blue ripple

it always comes out very blue in pictures (see mine further up in the thread) but the real colour is greener

not to dislike, but you need to know...

here is one picture in which it looks more true to life

fpn_1570559910__ranga_4c_blue_ripple_003

the other aspect is that in bakul contrast between the two colours is dimmed so it looks dark, not to dislike either, but useful to see one (there were one or more shown in a previous Ranga group buy thread)

The model 3, 3C and 8B are of comparable width (1.3-1.4 cm), and I am sure with one of these you can easily ask for a shorter version

I've seen a modification of a 3C in which someone had asked for a shorter barrel.

Confirming that Mr Kandan will make you a pen with a shorted barrel. He provided me with a short 3 upon request. Just let him know the overall capped length you require. He is very accommodating.

Add lightness and simplicate.

check this, ref blue ripple bakul

photo belongs to MBDostoevsky from a previous GB Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:22

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/336634-ranga-model-8b-group-buy-infinite-beautiful-colour-and-nib-choices/page-4?hl=%20ranga%20%20blue%20%20ripple
unfortunately the picture is small

post-112646-0-50537700-1530252793.jpg

Edited by sansenri

Thanks, sansenri. Have you seen Teal Blue - Orange Ripple(S20) or Mustard Yellow Ripple (S9)?

Edited by Lloyd

Oscar Wilde

mustard yellow, yes (although not in bakul)

fpn_1570574366__p1180808-3_ranga_8_pinh_

the blue-orange ripple is nice too, although I do not own one...

Is that Rose-Mustard Yellow (S17)? Is it the same as My Kandan's Mini Suagrcane image?

Oscar Wilde

yes S17

the names have changed with time in view of the fact that regular ebonite colours are not pure

S17 used to be red-yellow (because most probably the colouring agents used by Ranga are red and yellow)

the resulting colour after "cooking" however, especially in regular ebonite, turns out more mustard and rose/pink

during the past group buys some participants complained they had ordered red-yellow but got mustard pink...

since there is no way to control the colours during preparation of standard ebonite to get strictly red-yellow

Ranga changed the name to mustard-rose/pink... (so everybody is now happy that WYSIWYG)... :rolleyes:

honestly, if you buy an ebonite pen you need to be ready to get what you get...

every pen is different, I love some of mine, some I'm less happy about what turned out, but won't complain

if I want a pen the same colour as everybody else I get one in precious resin...

Edited by sansenri