The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Beyond My Skill To Fix: Two Broken Mbs And A Broken Schaeffer Snorkel

montblanc schaeffer snorkel

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 rebcabin

rebcabin

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:53

I have three broken pens that I would love to give to someone or someones who have the skill, tools, and inclination to repair and to keep. If you can fix 'em or even salvage and use the parts, you can have 'em. I don't want to see these go to melt or resale or parts resale (I could do that!), but preferably to a collector who will restore and use them or even trade them on FPN. If you-all judge them beyond repair, then I'll reconsider. I just don't know enough to judge. 

First is a 1970's Montblanc, I don't know the model. I bought this new, broke the cap almost immediately, attempted a hamfisted repair (there is some glue residue on the surviving piece of the cap, which is in the photo and will be included with the pen), and gave up, a little brokenhearted. It's been in a drawer for 40+ years. The nib is in good shape, almost never used. I think it's a medium. It's moderately dirty, but the piston works and is smooth. 

https://www.amazon.c...jSAq_pXmpYuB20Q

Second is a Montblanc Mozart (cartridge only) with a pranged nib. The picture doesn't show the extent of the damage, but the tines are really bent. There is a slight blemish on the star on the cap. I don't know what the blemish is, and it didn't come off with light finger rubbing. The rest of the pen is in great shape. The threads are clean and smooth. I don't remember where I got this, or how and when I broke it, but I've had it a very long time. I probably bought it when the Mozart series first came out, but I am not sure.

https://www.amazon.c...cRf6_gFsgo1h3Fg

The last is a 1940's or earlier Schaeffer snorkel in burgundy. It was my wife's school pen. I broke the section very recently (*grrr*) when disassembling it to clean. The surviving piece is depicted and will be included with the pen. The nib is undamaged, but the pen is VERY dirty. She probably put it away inked decades ago. Having blown it once, I will not attempt further manipulation, but rather leave it in parts. 

https://www.amazon.c...0RBeYigg5KPi6uQ

Here are all three together

https://www.amazon.c...AQvin2QYh2ZlA8w

I'll leave this open for a couple of weeks and choose randomly, with preference to someone who wants all three. If you only want one or two, please don't hesitate to say so, however, because there might not be anyone who wants all three. For shipping, I request that you send me a prepaid shipping box so that all I have to do is bubble-wrap them and send them off.

Sponsored Content

#2 alc3261

alc3261

50 Something Callinebephile!!

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,990 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 00:31

I do not want to have these pens but just wanted you to know that I cannot see the photos, when I click on your links I just get an invitation to start my own Amazon photo account.

#3 elh93

elh93

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:05

I’m a mechanical engineer grad student and will do my best to repair them! 

#4 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,487 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:18

+1 on the photos not showing.

Edited by OCArt, 04 October 2019 - 01:19.

#5 Nia

Nia

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:48

Hey there! I'd like the Montblanc if it's still available, I have access to caps!

#6 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,704 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:41

I am a hobbyist repairer, I am interested in attempting to repair these.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#7 inky_finger

inky_finger

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:12

I would like to repair or reuse the nibs and parts.

Edited by inky_finger, 04 October 2019 - 03:14.

#8 InsaneRN

InsaneRN

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:41

Dropping my name in the hat for the random draw. (CONUS)

#9 Callinewbie

Callinewbie

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:35

I couldnt ever afford a MB with the budget limit set by my SO :-( this is the only way Id be able to get my hands on one. If you prefer Ill take all three but if there are others who've never had the pleasure of owning these and who would like to get one, I don't mind the others going to someone else. Spread the love :-) and truly appreciate your generosity.

Edited by Callinewbie, 04 October 2019 - 04:38.

#10 Callinewbie

Callinewbie

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:36

Surprised that all the apostrophes in my post disappeared on submission...hmmm...what gives

Edited by Callinewbie, 04 October 2019 - 04:37.

#11 ashutoshthakur

ashutoshthakur

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:51

I would like to try and repair these pens. Thanks!

#12 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,030 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 14:26

I would love to repair these. I've even managed a Snork or two already! Thanks very much!

#13 doggle2

doggle2

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 15:17

I'd also love to try and repair some of these!

#14 rebcabin

rebcabin

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 16:08

Apologies on the photos not showing. I will try to figure this out over the weekend.
Obviously, I don't know how to get photos showing on this site!

#15 rebcabin

rebcabin

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 16:11

Second is a Montblanc Mozart (cartridge only) with a pranged nib. The picture doesn't show the extent of the damage, but the tines are really bent. There is a slight blemish on the star on the cap. I don't know what the blemish is, and it didn't come off with light finger rubbing. The rest of the pen is in great shape. The threads are clean and smooth. I don't remember where I got this, or how and when I broke it, but I've had it a very long time. I probably bought it when the Mozart series first came out, but I am not sure.

https://www.amazon.c...cRf6_gFsgo1h3Fg

The "blemish" turns out to be a tiny, tiny "F", which I realized when I took
a loupe to it! So there is a little mark in the star that says this is a fine-point.

#16 rebcabin

rebcabin

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 16:14

I do not want to have these pens but just wanted you to know that I cannot see the photos, when I click on your links I just get an invitation to start my own Amazon photo account.

I'll work on re-posting the pictures this weekend. Sorry for the snafu!

#17 The Blue Knight

The Blue Knight

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 17:10

I will put my hat in the ring.Thanks

#18 jjlax10

jjlax10

Nib Maven

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 03:14

Please consider me for all three.
President, Big Apple Pen Club
Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.
www.jjlaxpenco.com

#19 rebcabin

rebcabin

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:34

Here is my latest attempt to share photos of this set.

https://www.amazon.c...XswbNpSXOYK1_W6

please gripe if they don't show up. I tested on another computer, but I did likewise with the last batch /boggle.

#20 Bibliophage

Bibliophage

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:47

I got "the group does not exist", weirdly enough.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, schaeffer, snorkel

Sponsored Content

|