Urushi Sets Said To Launch 2019.09.29

bogiesan

Lamys Facebook thingy says the new LX marron is now available in Europe and the Urushi models will be launched on Sunday, September 29, 2019. Thats tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/223965857741159/posts/1465024670301932?sfns=mo

https://www.facebook.com/223965857741159/posts/1471668506304215?sfns=mo

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bogiesan

• Mulrich

• rvur

• BaronWulfraed

Yeah... nope. Just a lame Lamy public relations stunt perpetrated on Facebook. My apologies. Apparently there will be no reliable information about pricing until December.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I don't think Urushi on an LX makes any sense but I suppose many other Urushi pens are also just coating a cheaper material but this still feels like a weird model for Urushi. Unless the price is surprisingly affordable I couldn't justify buying one of these.

I haven't tried a Dialog 3 but my first reaction to the price was to laugh. I eventually noticed the price was for a set of 4 pens but that's still way more than I would pay for any Lamy pen (the set of 4 costs € 16393 without VAT).

I don’t understand the hate being expressed around here toward these pens and toward Lamy. I do not know why it’s not bloody obvious: the price is based on the craft of the finish and the limited edition of 33 sets, not the price of a Dialog body. I’m not buying a set either, and I know why not, but I’d love to see them and maybe write with a demo unit at one of Lamy’s stores, just so I could know how much I’d really LIKE to have them, securely locked in a beautiful display case, so I could never used them.

Thank you, that’s about US$17,500.... w-a-y out of my reach! I sure like to see them, though, wouldn’t you?

YEEET.... I dont think this will be good... seems more like Japanning to me but ok...

I once tried to delve into the world of Urushi production only to realize there's only 1 guy in Japan whose the only one left making taps and tools, and probably a handful of collectors and all of them are nearing 80s while true you can maintain metal implements but if you needs fresh blood into the industry someone has to take up the slack

Edited by Algester

• 4 months later...

I got a note from Lamy Germany saying the Dialogue Urushi series sold out quickly and the pens did not appear on the marketplace. Repeated efforts to find photos on the web of these urushi pens in use by the lucky and likely well-to-do owners have turned up empty.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a note from Lamy Germany saying the Dialogue Urushi series sold out quickly and the pens did not appear on the marketplace. Repeated efforts to find photos on the web of these urushi pens in use by the lucky and likely well-to-do owners have turned up empty.

Appelboom has one set available still

Appelboom has one set available still

Yes. I’ve seen it in person when I visited their shop (it’s 5 minutes on foot from my house, so I’m a frequent visitor :rolleyes:).

I’m well aware of the skill and effort needed to give a pen a top-quality urushi coating and of the kind of prices that go along with that skill and effort. In my opinion (which is worth as much as you paid for it) the price of this Lamy set is dictated by its potential value as a collector’s item (i.e. as a financial investment), not by the urushi and certainly not by its potential use as a writing instrument. These pens are not meant to be used; inking them up will drop their value both immediately and immensely.

You can get really nice off-the-shelf urushi pens for 800 to 1200 euros each. If you’re prepared to do some digging and to have some patience, you might find urushi artists who will coat your pen for substantially less than that.

It was nice to have personally seen this rare set (and its lavish packaging) but since I’m not an investor, not a fan of urushi and already the happy owner of a Dialog 3, the set left me stone cold.

Edited by TheDutchGuy