The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Surfing The Fountain Pen Teal Wave

pelikan pilot sailor diplomat kaweco teal turquoise

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bennett

Bennett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 September 2019 - 22:02

I have noticed over the past year or so, a significant but growing number of fountain pens produced in the teal or turquoise family of colors. Here is a listing of entries that fall under this wave. Please add others that I have missed. My guess is that this color is selling well, otherwise, all these manufacturers would not have jumped on board.

This a bit of a retro color event. I believe that the last time teal was popular may have been when Parker 51's were at their height in the 1950's and blue/green teal was a frequent color choice. 

Pelikan 205 Aquamarine

Pelikan 600 Turquoise-White
Pelikan 805 Ocean Swirl
Pilot Custom 74 Teal
Platinum 3776 Kumpoo
Sailor Pro Gear Ocean
Sailor 1911 Stormy Sea
Diplomat Aero Turquoise
Kaweco Sport Turquoise
Pilot Vanishing Point LE Tropical Turquoise
Montegrappa Elmo Turquoise

Edited by Bennett, 26 September 2019 - 21:20.

Sponsored Content

#2 IThinkIHaveAProblem

IThinkIHaveAProblem

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2019 - 00:37

This is like one stop shopping for my wife...

Goodbye back account balance. :P
Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

#3 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:32

I think teal was "hot" in the early 90's too.  Maybe not for pens, but Daughter played on a youth soccer team named the Teal Seals back then...  :lol:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

#4 Tom Kellie

Tom Kellie

From EEF to BBBB Small Signature

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,476 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:13

I think teal was "hot" in the early 90's too.  Maybe not for pens, but Daughter played on a youth soccer team named the Teal Seals back then...  :lol:

~ BillH:

Were the Teal Seals the Real Deal?

I feel that their appeal might have seemed surreal.

Tom K.

#5 KaB

KaB

Tsukiyonist

• Member - Gold

• 1,212 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2019 - 03:57

Lamy petrol.

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif  Current rotation: home: Lamy Al-star 1.5, GvFC Moss Green; Lamy Vista 1.1, Diamine Oxblood; Sheaffer Touchdown 0.6, Sailor Kin-Mokusei

Case: Visconti HS EF, Sailor Kin-Mokusei; Estie 2314M, R&K Alt-Goldgrün; Lamy Studio 1.1, Diamine Ochre 

#6 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 1,429 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 September 2019 - 14:52

~ BillH:

Were the Teal Seals the Real Deal?

I feel that their appeal might have seemed surreal.

Tom K.

Tom  :lol:  Not then, but many of them went on to play select through high school.  But after that year the coach "rebranded" them and did not allow the mothers any input...

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

#7 SpecTP

SpecTP

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 949 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2019 - 22:54

Lamy petrol.

good luck trying to find any of that ink..

#8 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,387 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 15:29

I didn't think of those Pelikan's as teal....though I'd have to look up Pelikan 805 Ocean Swirl.

For a while it was hard enough finding a teal ink.... :huh:..I think I have one, but only one. :( 

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#9 Bennett

Bennett

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 21:28

Bo Bo:

Good point. Some of the pens are marked as turquoise, not teal. However, they are technically both in the blue/green family of colors. The other thought is that I think manufacturers prefer the turquoise color name since it sounds classier than "teal."

The one pen, in my mind, that best represents a true teal is the Sailor Pro Gear Ocean.

Bennett

#10 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 00:05

Turquoise is technically a lighter/brighter color than teal and can be more blue, as the actual mineral turquoise--different color range. 

Teal:  Hex triplet: #008080

008080.png

Turquoise:

40e0d0.png

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#11 austollie

austollie

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 22:02

Lamy petrol.

If you mean the fountain pen, I agree.  That's a beautiful dark teal.  I absolutely love mine.  It's one of my daily writers.  I also adore the "matching" ink.  It's my favourite ink at the moment, although I don't think that it matches the colour of the pen on normal paper.  When I write with it and there is nothing next to it (e.g. other writing in black), the Lamy Petrol ink almost looks like black.  It's one of the things that attracts me to it.  It's conservative enough to use in meetings, yet if I write with black ink in one meeting and with Lamy Petrol in the next and I end up with two ink colours on the one page, then I end up with nice contrast.  Oh Lamy, please make more Petrol ink (plus Dark Lilac).

#12 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2019 - 03:18

good luck trying to find any of that ink..

Lamy Petrol.  Still holding onto my untouched bottle.  I tried it out with cartridges.  I discovered that I had little liking for pen people's interpretation of teal, turquoise and the like.

The UnTeal..

Edited by pajaro, 13 October 2019 - 03:22.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#13 essayfaire

essayfaire

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2019 - 22:28

I actually think of the Blue Carbonesque Pilot Vanishing Point as teal mixed with a greyer blue.  I also am pretty sure that to my mind, one of the Edelstein cartridges was what I would consider teal.  And as noted above, Tsuki-yo; it is deeper than what I think of as turquoise or aquamarine.

“It's bad enough wasting time without killing it.”
Norton Juster, The Phantom Tollbooth

#14 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2019 - 03:10

I absolutely love Pelikan Aquamarine but quite honestly, I find that Diamine produce about every colour and at reasonable prices.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, pilot, sailor, diplomat, kaweco, teal, turquoise

Sponsored Content

|