The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The Most Interesting “51” In The World…

custom 51 parker vacumatic t-1 61

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 RalphP

RalphP

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 20:48

Or not ~~ interesting, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

This custom "51" features the following: 

Four “quick change” threaded cap top jewels:  1)  a Solid Gold Crown – ideal to have on the pen in your pocket when going to see the dentist – this one is also of course known as the Crown Jewel;  2)  .45 solid lead – ideal for high caliber meetings;  3)  9mm Brass Jacket suitable for lower caliber meetings or casual writing;  4)  146/9 Mont Blanc White Star - ideal for highly pretentious meetings with status conscious individuals or groups…  etc.

51-ConGlom-1_zpspccwzy8j.jpg

The stainless steel cap has been bead blasted and strongly resembles titanium.  The war time Vermeil Blue Diamond clip is bent in such a fashion that it would hard if not impossible to duplicate – it is definitely crooked… but, I have not ever found it to be dishonest in any respect.   The hood or shell is dark blue and the barrel is black – reminiscent of two-tone cars in the ‘50s & 60’s.  The filling unit and blind cap are oversized slightly.  The longer than standard ink pump rod is brass and is housed in one excellent red anodized bushing.  The added vacuum pressure sort of supercharges the filling system.   The end of the rod contains a silver disc with the Parker Halo encased in translucent red plastic from the Parker Model Shop – the same exact red plastic used to make the Parker T-1 red jewels – it took way too long to make but that’s just hindsight.  The nib is an 18k 61 nib which was made in the UK.  Don’t know the reason why but 51 and 61 nibs made in the UK are just better writers and smoother than those made in the US – just a fact.

51-ConGlom_zpsgushbfne.jpg

Like it – Love it – or Hate it – you’ve got to at least agree it’s interesting…?

Life’s too short to always take Pens too seriously.

ralph prather

Sponsored Content

#2 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 18:22

Clever the way all that stuff was integrated. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#3 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 21:18

Interesting.....  Hmm.   Sorry, but I'm in the 'hate it' category on this one...... :(

#4 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 23:36

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD ....

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

#5 crescentfiller

crescentfiller

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 23:40

Well, I still think it is hilarious!

What a great send up of the pretentiousness of some pens (and pen owners?).

Hats off to Mr. Prather!

#6 hbdk

hbdk

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 15:52

:yikes:  Never seen anything like it! Not sure how to feel about it but thanks for sharing. :lol:

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

#7 DonLeone

DonLeone

Flexing heavily to the right

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 19:23

Awful taste but great execution  :D

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[ I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

#8 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2019 - 20:06

Indeed.  The, ah, shall we say "ParkMont" mixes the best fountain pen on the planet with one of the most pretentious.  And one can do so much more with this creation!  The integration is actually very well crafted, and gives the owner options.   

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#9 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:20

I like it, apart from the crooked clip☺
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#10 CarrotBasket

CarrotBasket

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2019 - 20:28

This is great, I love it. Impresively done too. I wish I could get my pens to that level of customization craziness.

#11 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 October 2019 - 23:12

with the passing of time some things  just grow on you.

Enjoy

Tom

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#12 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:33

Its a work of art! I think its hideous but at the same time, oddly compelling. Nice work :)

Instagram @inkysloth 
My website http://inkysloth.moonfruit.com/

#13 Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2019 - 01:04

I have a perfectly functioning, but well worn one I found in a farm auction box of junk, I can appreciate the fun of this and gives me something to aspire to.   

Warning- More silliness follows:

Unfortunately my clip has the less valuable single curve to the left, compared to the more valued re-curve on your reproduction of the highly collectible Model 51-VW-Ht. Though unconfirmed, the model designation stood for Parker 51, Variable Weight, Hoity Toity model.   The original models from Parker came out shortly after WWII. It quickly became apparent, that Parker's marketing brains of the day over evaluated the love of the Colt 45 slug jewel. Though the Colt model 1911 45 was at its hey day shortly after the war, it paled to the misguided mistrust of anything relating to Germany (other than rocket scientists of course) and the designation "VW" caused sales to plummet. For years following the war, a few of these could be found in South America, but all of those had "Lost" the 45 slug jewel for another popular 9 MM bullet.  

OK, I actually do have the well working old 51 from the early 40's that still works fine today.  The body looks to be dark blue with a silver cap. The fact that it still writes well should say something about the design and materials used.  It was found in the old box of junk as stated, and the clip is curved to the left, which is why I like. That said the tiny little skinny section hurts my hands after about 3 minutes of writing. Lean a little closer to Helium than Lead every day. You will move faster, sound funnier, and not die of lead poisoning.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: custom, 51, parker, vacumatic, t-1, 61

Sponsored Content

|