Found: 250-Year-Old Journal

ethernautrix

Subscribed to this YouTube channel, Curiosity, Inc. earlier this year. This man is always on the hunt for "treasure" (a widely-defined term for him), but this one is definitely spot on:

...Wait, not sure how to embed the video, so here's the link:

If the link doesn't work, it's YouTube/Curiosity, Inc. "Lost for 250 years! 1700s Battle Journal Found! most important time in modern history"

Sounds a bit hyperbole, but I'm sure there's an appreciative audience for this treasure here.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ethernautrix

• ridiculopathy

• Octo

• Fermata

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for this, enjoyed the vid. Very tempted to achieve some degree of immortality by hiding a journal of my own to be found in the year 3000.

Will a very old hand written journal be more readable in 1000 years than todays computer records?

I buried a time capsule in my garden in December 1999 with all the stuff and news items that I though would be of interest to future man. I dug it up by mistake last Spring and couldnt resist opening it. What a load of garbage, so much tosh about Clinton and Monica and not much else.

That was pretty cool! Thanks for posting.

Thank you for this, enjoyed the vid. Very tempted to achieve some degree of immortality by hiding a journal of my own to be found in the year 3000.

Will a very old hand written journal be more readable in 1000 years than todays computer records?

I buried a time capsule in my garden in December 1999 with all the stuff and news items that I though would be of interest to future man. I dug it up by mistake last Spring and couldnt resist opening it. What a load of garbage, so much tosh about Clinton and Monica and not much else.

One of the limitations of computer records is that it depends on the survival of the technology that can read it. I wrote a lot of (likely inane) scripts for my toys when I was a kid that were lost once zip drives became obsolete!

Your story about the 1999 time capsule made me chuckle. I mostly remember how anticlimactic Y2K was.

Your story about the 1999 time capsule made me chuckle. I mostly remember how anticlimactic Y2K was.

Yeah, the only really good thing was that Pittsburgh had awesome fireworks on New Year's Eve that year. But stupidly, most of the Downtown restaurants weren't open to take advantage of the crowds afterwards (the line to the Downtown McDonalds seemed to be out the door -- and we sat in the car with the engine off in the parking garage because the exit gate was apparently not working correctly. There was no point in our wasting gasoline because we couldn't have backed out of the parking space anyway -- the line of cars in the exit lane wasn't moving....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I posted this over at fpgeeks, and someone mentioned reading a book about forgeries -- finding old paper and mixing historical inks and such and whatnot. I ordered a sample from Kindle and skimmed the first page -- sounds interesting, will probably want to read the entire book.

If the book in the video is a forgery, I would still want it.* The trouble a person would have had to have gone through (try to say _that_ in Polish, etherX, HA!) to create such a book would be impressive.

*If it were given to me or I found it. If I had to pay for something presented as genuine, then, of course, I would want the authentic thing.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

If the book in the video is a forgery, I would still want it.* The trouble a person would have had to have gone through (try to say _that_ in Polish, etherX, HA!) to create such a book would be impressive.

Yes, especially with the choice newspaper cuttings they included. But I don't doubt it's possible!