• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• Braxfield

• Jamerelbe

• essayfaire

I'm not sure I get it, but will readily confess that in over thirty five years of fountain pen use, not once have I ever turned a pen over to write with the wrong side of the nib.

There's another thread about this kickstarter. The general consensus there was along the lines of "WTH?" Especially since the closeup of the nib looks as if it's deliberately being ground with baby's bottom....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I don't think want this kickstarter is offering is that unique. There was an option on the FPN LE Conid pen to have a different grind on either side of the nib. I think it required the top side (reverse) of the nib to be finer than the bottom side (normal writing position; opposite of this Kickstarter). I'm a little surprised the Kickstarter project was able to secure a patent.

I've flipped a pen on occasion when poor paper was preventing my F nibs from writing properly. Don't think I'd want to write like that normally, however.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Don't think I'd want to write like that normally, however.

I'd prefer not to have to rotate the nib upside down in order to get the narrow lines I expect from a Fine or Extra Fine nib as marked, but I choose a nib width grade based on my intended writing outcome.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The Parker 180 did this back in the 70s. The difference being that the 180 made it look cool.

Still wasn't enough for me to keep my 180 Imperial. The grip is too slim.

Now a fat 180 kickstarter, that I would back.

it literally has preground baby's bottom. they would need to send out a bunch of review models to trusted reviewers like SBRE or david to show me how it doesn't constantly hard start before I'd be convinced.

Not a SINGLE segment in any of the video shows the nib first touching the paper and then writing. It's only the ink coming down once the line has already been established.

The whole premise of the nib seems flawed. You're going to create a miniscus of ink at the narrowest point in the slit, which sure ain't going to be that fat gap being filed into it.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I'd prefer not to have to rotate the nib upside down in order to get the narrow lines I expect from a Fine or Extra Fine nib as marked, but I choose a nib width grade based on my intended writing outcome

Doesn't everyone? ;)

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at this. I even watched the video. At best a possible solution to a non-existent problem. Some of the participants seem to agree, as they have subscribed to the one-sided version of the two-sided nib ie the magic grind sans magic grind!

The modern pen scene seems to be dominated by three peculiar practices: upside down writing, "eye-droppering", and profligate nib-tuning. In almost half a century of fountain pen use it has never occurred to me to do any of them.

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

Doesn't everyone? ;)

Not really, some (like myself) like to use the finest lines possible and only want that broader line when we flip the nib over for a signature or header.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I looked at this. I even watched the video. At best a possible solution to a non-existent problem. Some of the participants seem to agree, as they have subscribed to the one-sided version of the two-sided nib ie the magic grind sans magic grind!

The modern pen scene seems to be dominated by three peculiar practices: upside down writing, "eye-droppering", and profligate nib-tuning. In almost half a century of fountain pen use it has never occurred to me to do any of them.

It may not occur to you but pens have been ground to write upside down longer than you've been using them. The parker 180 is probably the most obvious, but most pens, back in the days when they were hand ground, were polished to reverse write. It was much more common back in the day than it has been in the years of the ballpoint's reign.

Edited by Honeybadgers

I did not know that pens had ever been ground to write upside down. I'm obliged to Honeybadgers for putting me right on the matter. Yet another glaring omission in my education. Perhaps I should amend my position to state that, for my part, I have never felt the need.

"They come as a boon and a blessing to men,
the Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley Pen."

I won't be backing this project (I'm already on the latest Ensso project), but wanted to say I don't hate the looks of this pen.

As far as the nib goes, my experience with "double sided" nibs dates Co to early experiences of flipping my generic M nib pens (before I knew there were other options!) to minimise bleed through on poor quality school book paper. More recently I ordered some "duopoint" nibs from Pablo of fpnibs.com, who ground one side (the "normal" side) to a stub, and the top-side to an EF. The latter always seemed to have problems maintaining steady ink flow, so I stopped flipping them, and settled for enjoying the stub side.

What interests me with this project is the decision to grind the "flip side" to produce the wider line. If their nib dude is as good as they say he is (only time will tell!), this really *could* be a good option for those who want it...

Parker Vacumatics initially were made and advertised so as to be able to be flipped over to write with a different width. The pens were said to write "two ways".

This was 1934, 1935, 1936 ...

So, if you want that feature, go vintage.

Also, as mentioned earlier the 180 was also made with this feature. I have one ind it write's wonderfully.

Note: other makers may have done the same thing, but I am unfamiliar with contemporaneous material documenting this.

Such an original idea and patented too, if only someone had conceived this before......

1930s W. A. Sheaffer Pen W.A.S.P.

48774306111_dfe7474b43_c.jpg

Edited by jaytaylor