The Irreverent Rebelliousness Of Fountain Pens:

maukapens

You misspelled "Irrelevant"

ir·rev·er·ent

/əˈrev(ə)rənt/

adjective

showing a lack of respect for people or things that are generally taken seriously.

"she is irreverent about the whole business of politics"

Grant Kosaki

The Mauka Pen Co.

grant@maukapens.com

Instagram & Facebook: @maukapens

www.maukapens.com

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• samasry

• ISW_Kaputnik

• silverlifter

• maukapens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

let's not totally disrupt the gush of poetry that's moving our newly found member when inspired by the magic of using a fountain pen

we know it's different for some of us who were born with the fountain pen in our hand (well...almost)

but although he has not yet caught exactly where that magic is, he's got a glimpse alright!

and the ballpoint was invented by the devil, I often think that's true...

:D

on second thought, spontaneous poetry, or promotional poetry?

Edited by sansenri

But then, I was dropped on my head as a child so I'm a little 'weird' any way.

I was dropped on my head too! Are we sure correlation isn't causation?

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Chicolini: Now I ask you one...What is it has a trunk but no key, weighs two thousand pounds, and lives in a circus?

Prosecutor: That's irrelevant!

Chicolini: A relaphant? Hey! That's the answer...There's a whole lotta relephants in the circus.

Michael Flanders - "Some think the title of this song is irrelevant. But it's not irrelevant, it's a hippopotamus."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0WPwFD9is

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Pretty sure HB meant what he wrote.

I don't even remember why I'm here.

WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE?!

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I truly enjoy writing with my fountain pens. And I truly enjoy it when someone notices when I sign with my pen and ask to hold it in their hand (like when signing in at the doctor's office), just like I truly enjoy it when someone stops me in a parking lot to ask about my 2006 Z4 Mcoupe (a car they've never seen before and think it's new), or when I'm driving my 1949 Cadillac coupe (bought new by my dad) and someone rolls down their window to ask about the car or say it's beautiful. It happens just enough to remind me [or assure me] that there are still people who recognize beauty and uniqueness when it appears in everyday life that is filled with technology and the mundane.

The avataris my first pembroke welsh corgi in the back seat of the Cadillac. He loved to go for a ride in that car.

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

If we are going to banter and mangle a tortured metaphor, why not say, as it applies to fountain pens, "Revenant"..... something which will not simply die and go away, something archaic, wondrous, and living well past its expected time on this plane. Derived from the French... to return. And like some vintage pens.... periodically spiteful, or vengeful at being disturbed from its slumber.

Wait -- are you saying that fountain pens are like zombies? (Or is it just the ones that are filled with blood red ink...?) :lticaptd:

I'm enjoying this thread immensely BTW (as well as its pair thread about the "luxury" of fountain pens).

I was in a yarn store yesterday, and when the clerk handed me the credit card slip she pointed me to the (ballpoint) on the counter. I said, "No, no, I HAVE a pen!" -- and fished the Forest Green Parker 51 from my purse. Ironically, that's the pen that I paid two bucks for at an estate sale last year, and I'm betting the store pen and its stand cost more than that (not to mention the cost in refills, which will eventually likely be for more $$ than the $20 US I paid to have the nib tuned last weekend at the Commonwealth Pen Show).

Oh, I know people will say -- "Oh, but you have to add in the cost of the show, and the cost of ink, and the cost of the gas you used to drive to Massachusetts, and the cost of gas to drive to the estate sale last year... etc., etc." Well, I'd have to be spending money on gas every time I went to Staples to buy BP refills, too -- which would likely be more often than it would to refill a fountain pen from an ink bottle, and more money spent in the long run. And the trip to the show was part of an overall trip to visit my husband's mother, and and the ink in the pen was some the nibmeister had to test the pen with -- so part of the overall cost. :rolleyes: As well as the "leisure" of getting to schmooze with like-minded people all afternoon (which is half the fun of a pen show) -- not to mention the leisure of having some "me" time by going to that estate sale in the first place.

I was in an antiques store a couple of years ago, and the owner said that it was unusual for women to be looking for fountain pens -- unless they were artists. Which was a weird statement to me, because I've ALWAYS found fountain pens and such to be cool (okay I was an art major in college -- but this dates back to childhood and the fascination I had with some pen/pencil combo that had been my grandfather's -- and at first mostly just because it HAD been his...). OTOH, when I go in there now, I think she drops the prices on the vintage ink just for me, after the 12 bottle case of vintage Quink Blue-Black which she'd bought at an estate sale -- sealed -- had EVERY bottle complety evaporated....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The bottom line on this whole FPN thing is this:

Oh I love writing with fountain pens

The way that it effortlessly flows

(see the song below)

Roller-ball and Ball points require energy and effort

- Roll the ball

- Get some ink

- write portion of a letter

- Roll the ball again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuYPjzeY_Fk

That is why I have a name for that freak of a pen: Sisyphus!

It is against our lazy human nature, It is freakin malarkey, I tell ya

No one (playing with full deck of cards), really starts this FPN thing aiming to be a rebel with or without a cause.

But if there ever was a cause, what would it be?

I can only think of one :

The way that it effortlessly flows

Edited by salmasry