• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SoulSamurai

• A Smug Dill

• sirgilbert357

• sansenri

Parker advertised this feature with the Vacumatic in the 1930’s

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

That's actually kind of cool, I don't think I've ever seen a nib designed so deliberately for "reverse writing." I am really curious about how the thing writes, my gut feeling is that you would get a bit of skipping with that tip design, with certain inks. Wonder if tuning the nib would be more difficult than a typical nib? Regardless, it seems like a gimmick to me.

Thanks for sharing!

I don't think I've ever seen a nib designed so deliberately for "reverse writing."

Sailor Zoom nibs and Naginata Concord nibs are designed to produce a distinctly different line width by reverse-writing.

Every Sailor nib I've used is capable of reverse-writing, even the ones that aren't specifically designed to do so.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I had Sheaffer school pens, $1.00 each, in the 1960s that performed just fine with the nib upside down.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

WASP (W. A. Sheaffer Pens) The Clipper, No. 7 nib. 'Writes two ways' 1930s.

48774306111_dfe7474b43_c.jpg

Edited by jaytaylor

Research is hard to do. There was a guy who built the Cadillac of DC wind mills in the '30's to the '50's for farmers out in the sticks. Worked great.

Used ones sold well for generations.

He'd tried a 4 blade prop, then settled on a 3 blade prop. It was in Mother Earth book, so wasn't that hard to find, had any of the new guys thought the old folks with ivory slapsticks might have known what they were doing.

But old folks are stupid....didn't have computers.

Modern engineers went with inefficient two blade giant wind mills, wasting billions, before going over to a 3 blade prop that worked.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Why is it important to write with your pen upside down?

I favor F and EF nibs. On occasion they don't get along well with poor-quality paper but if I flip them over I can write with them. Of course, I wouldn't want to do this all the time or I would think the pen itself were the problem and not the paper.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

That's actually kind of cool, I don't think I've ever seen a nib designed so deliberately for "reverse writing." I am really curious about how the thing writes, my gut feeling is that you would get a bit of skipping with that tip design, with certain inks. Wonder if tuning the nib would be more difficult than a typical nib? Regardless, it seems like a gimmick to me.

Thanks for sharing!

Look up the Parker 180, Sheaffer Stylist, and Omas 361 to name a few. Edited by SoulSamurai

"There's a sucker born every minute".

P.T. Barnum

Barnum was a pessimist.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

A large number of pens made in the vintage days were designed to write both sides. I think every single non-flex sheaffer I own writes perfectly in the reverse.

It's also super easy to make most nibs write in reverse with just a few seconds and some micro mesh,

I reverse write all the time in my notebooks.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

A large number of pens made in the vintage days were designed to write both sides. I think every single non-flex sheaffer I own writes perfectly in the reverse.

It's also super easy to make most nibs write in reverse with just a few seconds and some micro mesh,

I reverse write all the time in my notebooks.

But Honeybadgers, this nib is HAND GROUND by an 82 year old ARTISAN who has a PATENT on this stuff!!!!! You can't get this ANYWHERE ELSE!!!

But Honeybadgers, this nib is HAND GROUND by an 82 year old ARTISAN who has a PATENT on this stuff!!!!! You can't get this ANYWHERE ELSE!!!

Which is why I'm just so confused. Clearly, thought and effort went into it. But visually, it looks like some moron ground baby's bottom into his nibs. And none of the videos demonstrate a lack of baby's bottom, only showing inkflow already established.

I would like to see him send test examples to the major FP reviewers on youtube.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I have a few pens that were intentionally designed to allow reverse writing, either from the factory or from a nibmeister.

I'm surprised he was able to secure a patent since this functionality has been well established for many many years. Maybe the patent is just for the technique to create the special 'V shape passage' but that still seems like a hard thing to patent and an even harder thing to enforce (maybe the patent clerk didn't know much about nibs).

• 3 weeks later...

Sailor Zoom nibs and Naginata Concord nibs are designed to produce a distinctly different line width by reverse-writing.

Every Sailor nib I've used is capable of reverse-writing, even the ones that aren't specifically designed to do so.

Goulet just talked about this in a video where he discusses "stacked" nibs

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason I always thought writing with a nib upside down would damage the pen. I actually like the look of this pen ok, but I've not really been impressed with the previous couple of kickstarter pen projects I backed so will pass on this.

Goulet just talked about this in a video where he discusses "stacked" nibs

I hate videoed reviews and vlogs. Information density is just so low in those things.

Do note that neither the Sailor Zoom nib nor the Naginata Concord nib are "stacked".

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.