Has Anyone With The Aurora Archivi Storici Had Trouble With It Drying Out?

msalerno

I purchased an Aurora Archivi Storici last year and I've been unable to use it because it just doesn't write. I have to press down hard to get some ink to come out, and then as soon as I stop writing for more than 10 seconds, it dries out and I have to press down again. If I try and drag it across the page quickly, it starts skipping. If I leave ink inside of it for a week, the converter empties out.

I'm not sure if it is a nib issue or a feed issue. Has anyone else had trouble with this pen?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• clear1

• msalerno

• miel

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I have several vintage 88s, I don't have an archivi storici, but they usually are considered to be good pens.

Unless you can return it to the seller, you should probably ask for Aurora assistance, it takes time but they usually are helpful.

Sounds like there's dried ink in the feed that's preventing fresh ink from getting to the nib, so fill the pen with water, let it sit over night, rinse and repeat until you know longer have ink flushing out of the feed. Could take a few day or a couple weeks.

Also, sound like the cap doesn't seal well. Some pens seal better than others. Pens that don't seal well need to be used daily to keep the ink flowing through the feed rather than drying out.
So if you won't be using the pen for a while, rinse out the ink before setting the pen aside.

If youre feeling brave, pull the nib out and give the underside of the nib and all the feed a good clean. I also pulled the tines apart a super smidge to help with flow. Been good as gold ever since. Easily one of my favourite pens. Good luck. Keep us posted.

This post helped me pluck up the courage to tweak mine.

Edited by Tas

My Archivi Storici is a wet writer with a scratchy nib ... no problem with dry outs.
So perhaps yours only needs a good flush ... or the help of Aurora support.

Mine is frustrating too, and I can't figure out whether it's nib or feed. It writes nice and wet, usually, but then has random hard starts. It's already been back to Aurora, but after a while I realised they didn't really help.

I've pulled out the nib (very easy) and fiddled with it, but no change. At least it's not worse! I hope to get it looked at by a nibmeister soon. I think I've given it a blast in the ultrasonic cleaner, but I suppose another go won't hurt.

I seem to remember it also dries out relatively quickly, but I've usually emptied it fairly soon out of frustration. Shame, because I adore it when it works well. A cross between a P51 and a Lamy 2K with a nib full of feedback, which I like.

Aurora again :wallbash: You might wish to do a search of the posts on FPN from the past year or so.....there has been a lot written here about this AURORA 's poor communication and customer service. And, their poor quality control too. :gaah:

msalerno-- the link Tas provided is useful. If the section or "coupler" is tight, some gentle heat will soften the black resin that's used on the threads. The feed comes out the back end (barrel end) of the section, so you can easily clean out dried ink. Check it for blockage along the whole length of the feed channel - I use a piece of .001" brass shim to carefully run through the slot. Check for damage to the cartridge piercer (where the converter attaches to the section). Even a slightly bent nib on an Archivi Storici (or vintage 88 or 98) can be tricky to spot if you haven't handled a lot of these pens. But maybe some professional help is needed if you don't feel confident working on the nib.

My experience with these (mine is a piston filler) is quite different - it's a lovely, juicy smooth writer. Same with the vintage 88s and 98s (piston and cartridge) - I'm a big fan!

My Aurora 88 Archivi Storici is one of my most reliable writers. It's one of my 2 EDC since several years (the other is Pilot capless). At the beginning, I had the same problem as you: hard startings with Aurora blue. But zero problems since I switched to Pelikan blue-black. I know this is counter-intuitive, because Aurora uses to be a much wetter ink than Pelikan.

Edit: mine has a piston filler

Edited by Orval

Orval

Thanks for the advice everyone. I just sent it out to a nibmeister today. If that doesnt help, Ill try disassembling.

If that doesn't help then you might consider disassembling your nibmeister :rolleyes: .

Keep us posted. We love success stories.

There is a hole on the cap, just below the clip. Seal it. I did it with small ball of parafilm. No problem after that.

If you can't see it, pour water in the cap. You can see where the water comes out.

Edited by clear1

There is a hole on the cap, just below the clip. Seal it. I did it with small ball of parafilm. No problem after that.

If you can't see it, pour water in the cap. You can see where the water comes out.

Will that not cause a vaccum when pulling off the cap? :unsure:

Will that not cause a vaccum when pulling off the cap? :unsure:

Well, we are not talking about some NASA-grade sealing and vaccum, are we? ;)

I've been using it like that for quite a while. No noticible problem. Worth a try, I believe.

Already tried that, but with tape. It didn't seem to make a difference.

Already tried that, but with tape. It didn't seem to make a difference.

Hmm, sorry to hear that. It worked for me.

What kind of ink do you use? I used inks with good flow, like Parker Quink Blue.

• 2 months later...

Ive taken my 98 Archivi Storici apart, flossed the nib tines with dental floss, soaked the feed in soapy water - which helped bring back ink flow. Mine is still a dry writer; I changed the ink to Sailor Blue Black, which resolved all issues. Writes beautifully now!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Ive taken my 98 Archivi Storici apart, flossed the nib tines with dental floss, soaked the feed in soapy water - which helped bring back ink flow. Mine is still a dry writer; I changed the ink to Sailor Blue Black, which resolved all issues. Writes beautifully now!

:) yay :)