The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Is This Tropen Worth $130?

tropen

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 InvisibleInk

InvisibleInk

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2019 - 13:44

Hello people

Quite by chance I came across a pen store that has a new old stock TROPEN and he is asking $130 for it.  I had never heard about this brand and I do not know the model name (I include a photo instead) and my search online was not very fruitful except for a thread on this site.

What is your experience with it?  I only care about its writing I am not a collector.  Is it worth $130 (USD)?

thanks in advance

PS.  It is brand new in the box never sold

Attached Images

• tropen_germany 2.jpg

Edited by InvisibleInk, 18 September 2019 - 13:47.

Sponsored Content

#2 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2019 - 15:55

Gold nib? Looks like possibly a piston filler? Never seen this model before. Personally I would be reluctant to pay that much.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#3 InvisibleInk

InvisibleInk

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2019 - 17:42

Thanks for reply Pakman.  No the nib is steel and the model name is scholar.

I like the look but seem expensive to me at 130, so I wanted to double check with you guys.

#4 Biber

Biber

...but that was another lifetime

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 18:15

It's a student pen from the 50s and 60s I believe. Nevertheless they're great pens, but, in my opinion, worth only about half that asking price.  

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

#5 InvisibleInk

InvisibleInk

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:18

Thanks Biber.  So it is a pass.

#6 txomsy

txomsy

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2019 - 11:31

I feel tempted to agree. I think I have seen similar pens  (Tropen scholar) for significantly less. They were not NOS, though.

Actually, you can find a similar one, NOS, on eBay for half the price. right now. And even choose the colour for a little more.

OTOH, there are auctions for double the price as well.

Edited by txomsy, 20 September 2019 - 08:26.

#7 eachan

eachan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 12:05

Good pens.  They generally sell for between £60 to £70.  A small premium might be added if it is truly NOS but the price quoted by the OP is far too much.

Regards,

Eachan

#8 InvisibleInk

InvisibleInk

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2019 - 18:01

Thank you guys.

#9 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,132 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 22:40

Looks like a good one.

I agree that the price is too high for my tastes - but we have to consider the rarity. Anything of such an age, which has never been used and is still in its box could command a steep price. I still think the seller is being somewhat optimistic - but there may be a collector out there who needs this.

If you have fallen in love with this pen, try offering half the asking price - or an amount that it's worth to you?

Good luck.

#10 Rancho Gordo

Rancho Gordo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 22:47

I have the moroon. It was a little dry and feels somewhat unsubstantial but having used it now for a few weeks, it's becoming a favorite. I prefer a broader nib but this is making me write neater. Also, it's very light and there's almost no fatigue, even after a long writing session. 

I'm glad I have it. 

#11 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 September 2019 - 22:58

Generally in great condition they sell between $60-$90 usd.....c.1980's

Piston filler { haveta remove blind cap } with { sometime } a semi-flex and or flexie steel nib....

They are  robust everyday writers.....................

Fred

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tropen

Sponsored Content

|