The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

2 Montblanc 146S With Wide Variances?

montblanc 146

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gabetjh

gabetjh

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:41

i recently purchased 2 montblanc 146s both from japan.

1 is the Montblanc 146 Platinum in "Fine" nib (stated in the box with the F sticker), and another monotone nib Montblanc 146 in "Medium" nib (stated by Kingdom Note).

When i received them i believe there is an error somewhere. The platinum should be in M and the monotone nib in F/EF?

Variances between them that made me think that either one of them might be fake? 

Monotone Nib Montblanc 146

• White Logo on cap has slight protrusions
  • Top cap trim just stated Germany
  • No inner clip engravings
  • Bottom cap trim stated Montblanc meisterstuck no 146 (note the font differences)
  • Nib writes like EF/F but stated to be M by seller
  • piston filler 
  • Feed differs
  • Skipping/Irregular Ink Flow 

Platinum Montblanc 146

• White logo on cap does not protrute
  • Top cap trim states serial number only
  • Inner clip engraving stated Made in Germany METAL
  • bottom cap trim stated Montblanc Meisterstuck (note the font differences)
  • Nib writes like M but stated to be F due to F sticker in the box
  • piston filler
  • Feed differs

oQnDRUp.jpg

pLKfc7u.jpg

rTTns6I.jpg

ZNCeRdJ.jpg

GIyyAhX.jpg

kn2dtNJ.jpg

bd37l1E.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 gerigo

gerigo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 928 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2019 - 14:41

They not fake. You can usually tell a fake pen by the filling system and feed. The pens are piston filled and have the right original Montblanc feeds. One is modern and the other is an older pen with an ebonite feed.

The older pen is definitely an XF, while the modern pen, if labeled F is probably a fatter fine. Try flushing out the older pen to make sure the pen is completely clean and then fill with a wetter ink since the 4001 inks are super dry. Also try using different papers. See if the older pen continues to skip. The unfortunate thing about the newer pens is that they have become a lot fatter in terms of nib grinds.

Edited by gerigo, 17 September 2019 - 14:42.

#3 BlueJ

BlueJ

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2019 - 15:56

The older pen may have been graded M by the seller according to Japanese standards, where a given nominal nib grade will usually be much finer than an American or European counterpart.

#4 gabetjh

gabetjh

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2019 - 16:35

They not fake. You can usually tell a fake pen by the filling system and feed. The pens are piston filled and have the right original Montblanc feeds. One is modern and the other is an older pen with an ebonite feed.

The older pen is definitely an XF, while the modern pen, if labeled F is probably a fatter fine. Try flushing out the older pen to make sure the pen is completely clean and then fill with a wetter ink since the 4001 inks are super dry. Also try using different papers. See if the older pen continues to skip. The unfortunate thing about the newer pens is that they have become a lot fatter in terms of nib grinds.

The older pen may have been graded M by the seller according to Japanese standards, where a given nominal nib grade will usually be much finer than an American or European counterpart.

Thanks for all the replies! After much observation i realize that Kingdom Note might have sneakily gave a different unit or changed the nib because the nib in the image is labelled as 14K but i received a 14C! So that is one issue down. Will contact the seller in regards to this. I believe the pen i received is XF but the pen i actually placed my order is M!

I read that i can try flushing out using water or i can use the ultrasonic cleaner since i have one in my office.

#5 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2019 - 19:45

I read that i can try flushing out using water or i can use the ultrasonic cleaner since i have one in my office.

yes to water (may even add a little soap)

and

yes to ultrasound cleaner

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, 146

Sponsored Content

|