Are There Any Luxury Permanent Markers?

Honeybadgers

Something like the montblanc document marker, but that uses permanent marker cartridges?

Like a luxury sharpie or something like that?

I can't find a single felt tip/permanent marker that isn't just basic disposable junk.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• pen2paper

• Parker51

• challer61

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Sturdie Sharpie body from Kickstarter. Awesome. They are listed as sold out but if you email them, they will sell you one. Mine is titanium and I love it. Basically, you unscrew a Sharpie and put the guts into this holder. Changes the experience totally.

I can't find a single felt tip/permanent marker that isn't just basic disposable junk.

I'm sure you're already aware of this but I'll bring it up just for the sake of completeness: Platinum has some felt-tipped versions of their Preppy that use normal ink cartridges. There's round-tipped and chisel-tipped versions, and they carry ink cartridges in regular and highlighter colours, and of course Noodlers have some inks that are designed for markers and highlighters.

Yookers have several models of felt-tipped pens that use fountain pen ink cartridges (and converters). Prices range from about $12 to about $50. their latest is an aluminium-bodied magnetic-cap pen on Kickstarter. I have a couple of the cheap models, they are fine but I found them vulnerable to drying out so probably best stored tip-down and not left unused for too long. The more expensive models might not have that problem?

Some artistic pens (like Copic fineliners and colour markers) are designed to be refilled; replacement ink and tips are available. Not exactly luxury, but a step above disposable junk (in theory).

I'm sure you're already aware of this but I'll bring it up just for the sake of completeness: Platinum has some felt-tipped versions of their Preppy that use normal ink cartridges. There's round-tipped and chisel-tipped versions, and they carry ink cartridges in regular and highlighter colours, and of course Noodlers have some inks that are designed for markers and highlighters.

Yookers have several models of felt-tipped pens that use fountain pen ink cartridges (and converters). Prices range from about $12 to about $50. their latest is an aluminium-bodied magnetic-cap pen on Kickstarter. I have a couple of the cheap models, they are fine but I found them vulnerable to drying out so probably best stored tip-down and not left unused for too long. The more expensive models might not have that problem?

Some artistic pens (like Copic fineliners and colour markers) are designed to be refilled; replacement ink and tips are available. Not exactly luxury, but a step above disposable junk (in theory).

I need something that is permanent and writes on things like glass. I don't need bottled ink in a pen, I just want a body that doesn't feel cheap and nasty but uses a permanent marker cartridge

The sherpa seems interesting. I might grab one. The sturdie case just looks like a metal sharpie with the same cheap plastic grip and cap. Neat, but not what I'm looking for.

I ordered a sherpa case. It's a shame nobody's thought to just make a disposable permanent marker cartridge for a high end body from someone like cross or montblanc.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The Sherpa, Sharpie holders look nice and there's a wide variety of styles available.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I grabbed one of the less expensive $35 sherpa cases, Let's see how it feels!

I have to have a permanent marker for my organic chemistry and microbiology labwork for writing on tubes and glassware and such. So no FP refillable stuff works, or I'd just put the preppy felt tip insert into a plaisir (which I've already tried and it works great, but the ink doesn't really work like a permanent marker) and I just wanted something nicer to use.

You might give the Parker 5th a look see. The tip of mine is very much like an ultra fine Sharpie. I use it to mark on glossy paper, specifically my calendar, frosted glass slides, and test tubes. I haven't tested the ink for permanence however, maybe I should.

I was going to suggest the Yookers, but @SoulSamurai beat me to it. Sounds like that doesn't suit your needs anyway. Platinum makes some brush pens that use inks other than standard FP inks; maybe those would work. They have some fancy and expensive ones but also this cheap one:

https://www.penchalet.com/fine_pens/fountain_pens/platinum_refillable_carbon_brush_pen.html

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Got the sherpa and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for! I was worried it would feel too thick and bulky but it's not, it's a tad less bulky than a conklin all american, the snap cap is lovely and crisp and doesn't wobble whatsoever, it posts deeply and securely, it's metal but not heavy at all, there's an inner cap that will keep it from drying out, the fit and finish are great and it doesn't look ungainly or unbalanced, and it looks nice and professional.

Literally perfect. Thank you parker51!

I didn't know anyone made refillable alcohol based permanent marker fluid, let alone Pilot. I ordered a bottle and will give it a shot in the plaisir with a preppy felt tip as well!

I'll pick up the zebra one as well for giggles since they're not expensive. It looks like sharpie makes one as well. I'll nab one and report back on all three.

The tiffany pen is what I was thinking of, it genuinely looks pretty incredible. If I had $700 laying around, I'd buy one. I do like the twist cap, but I think for practical purposes, the sherpa's snap cap is better.

Edited by Honeybadgers