Pelikan Souverän M800 Brown-Black Fountain Pen

jaytaylor

fpn_1575531343__cognac_brown.jpg

Cognac brown looks lovely with that broad nib and high shading. Looks like it displays a range of hues. Hazelnut brown has a nice range of constituent hues too which looks gorgeous in broad nibs, along with dark edge outline effect in wet areas. Cognac does seem to have a softer, paler look than Hazelnut Brown would give.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Intensity

• Gobblecup

• sirgilbert357

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cognac brown looks lovely with that broad nib and high shading. Looks like it displays a range of hues. Hazelnut brown has a nice range of constituent hues too which looks gorgeous in broad nibs, along with dark edge outline effect in wet areas. Cognac does seem to have a softer, paler look than Hazelnut Brown would give.

~ Intensity:

Thank you for explaining the qualities of Hazelnut Brown.

Had it been available, I'd have brought home a bottle, due to your recommendation and that of Lam1.

As it is, Cognac Brown's soft, pale tones are highly satisfactory.

In a general sense I'm drawn to pale colors, almost like pastels or watercolors.

Cognac Brown's range of tones are expressive without ever veering into histrionics.

It's a pleasant close to 2019 to add an ink from Graf von Faber-Castell.

Tom K.

Pelikan IB nib is a beauty. The first photograph gives the metallic brown binde a lot of dimension and complexity, almost like tortoiseshell versions. Previous images made me think it is a more "flat" striped appearance without individual lines showing brightness and color variations across them.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Pelikan IB nib is a beauty. The first photograph gives the metallic brown binde a lot of dimension and complexity, almost like tortoiseshell versions. Previous images made me think it is a more "flat" striped appearance without individual lines showing brightness and color variations across them.

~ Intensity:

Thank you for your nice comment.

What you've noted is certainly the case.

Like you, I’d thought that the stripes were unvarying color strips.

Upon examination of the pen, they vary.

It often appears less metallic than vaguely nacreous, like mother-of-pearl, with a cinnamon light chocolate hue.

Those stripes which tend more toward the nacreous have a lovely shimmer under the lamp on my writing desk.

Anyone interested in quiet elegance, with a touch of warmth, might consider the Souverän M800 Brown-Black.

It adds another IB nib with a Fritz Schimpf Italic Grind to my nest, which is everything which I might desire.

Tom K.

Got my M800 Brown stripe late this week; delayed by late arrival in country of the factory IB and slow dispatch from the wholesaler to my B&M store.

I have to give Pen & Ink/Pen & Paper an attaboy for their service... the delays were not their fault, but they upgraded the shipping from standard mail to courier at no extra cost in compensation. I told them not to, but they did it anyway.

It's definitely a beautiful pen with the dark brown fittings rather than traditional black.

It's not inked yet... but soon, very soon!

Glenn.

For those searching for a comparison between the M800 Tortoise Brown and M800 Brown Black, there is an excellent video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA_AFAk6qv4 posted by Pure Pens, with a clear side by side exhibition of both models.

The Tortoise has similiarities to the new Brown Black but they are recognisably distinct.

I think both are very attractive pens... Which is not very good news for my bank balance!

For those searching for a comparison between the M800 Tortoise Brown and M800 Brown Black, there is an excellent video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA_AFAk6qv4 posted by Pure Pens, with a clear side by side exhibition of both models.

The Tortoise has similiarities to the new Brown Black but they are recognisably distinct.

I think both are very attractive pens... Which is not very good news for my bank balance!

Thanks for this. I didn't grab a tortoise brown when they were available on clearance for $400 back in the day and then winced as the price for one just seemed to rise and rise and rise. My M800 Brown Black with an IB nib and a matching ballpoint arrived today and I'm delighted with both. I do wish it had a clearer ink window, but it seems like Pelikan is moving away from that. It's a mistake to trade form for function, I think.

I'm really glad I read this thread and went for the IB nib and a bottle of Smoky Quartz ink. It's quite nice right out of the box.

I got an IB nib for my Brown Black, I am very happy with it!

~ Gobblecup:

After all that you went through, I'm glad that an IB nib finally arrived for your M800 Brown-Black.

It's very good news.

Happy Writing!

Tom K.

Got my M800 Brown stripe late this week; delayed by late arrival in country of the factory IB and slow dispatch from the wholesaler to my B&M store.

I have to give Pen & Ink/Pen & Paper an attaboy for their service... the delays were not their fault, but they upgraded the shipping from standard mail to courier at no extra cost in compensation. I told them not to, but they did it anyway.

It's definitely a beautiful pen with the dark brown fittings rather than traditional black.

It's not inked yet... but soon, very soon!

~ Eccles:

Congratulations on your M800 Brown-Black with an IB nib!

If you've inked it, I hope that it's writing well for you.

Tom K.

Thanks for this. I didn't grab a tortoise brown when they were available on clearance for $400 back in the day and then winced as the price for one just seemed to rise and rise and rise. My M800 Brown Black with an IB nib and a matching ballpoint arrived today and I'm delighted with both. I do wish it had a clearer ink window, but it seems like Pelikan is moving away from that. It's a mistake to trade form for function, I think.

I'm really glad I read this thread and went for the IB nib and a bottle of Smoky Quartz ink. It's quite nice right out of the box.

~ DilettanteG:

That's great news that your Brown-Black fountain pen and ballpoint arrived.

I'm especially glad that this thread was a factor in your choice of an IB nib.

Happy Writing with the Smoky Quartz ink!

Tom K.

~ Eccles:

Congratulations on your M800 Brown-Black with an IB nib!

If you've inked it, I hope that it's writing well for you.

Tom K.

Not yet Tom, thank you... I'm waiting for my current user, a Copper-Orange Al-Star to run out... I try not to have multiple pens inked at the same time.

It's good for me to exercise the self-discipline.

Glenn.

• 4 weeks later...

I was planning to buy my first M800 next year. I think my plans have changed.

+1.

This model definitely changed my my plans. It is my first M8xx, and after a few days on the desk, it went directly into my daily rotation, where it has stayed now for almost 4 months. I wanted an M800 in green-black to finish off my vertical collection, but between this pen and the M605 Stresemann, the next M8xx will have to wait for another budget cycle.

• 3 weeks later...

I have now received my Pelikan M800 Brown Black and can confirm that it looks significantly different from the M800 Tortoise. The new M800 Brown Black has a rich, deep bronze colour and a subtly brown cap and piston knob colouring. For me it is an improvement on the classic Pelikan M 800 Green Black, this time with attractive brown stripes that go splendidly with a deep brown ink. I have inked it up with Akkerman "Bekakt Haags" but the Edelstein "Smoky Quartz" would also be a good match.

The fears expressed by some in this thread that it was a repeat of the Tortoise are unfounded!

I have now received my Pelikan M800 Brown Black and can confirm that it looks significantly different from the M800 Tortoise. The new M800 Brown Black has a rich, deep bronze colour and a subtly brown cap and piston knob colouring. For me it is an improvement on the classic Pelikan M 800 Green Black, this time with attractive brown stripes that go splendidly with a deep brown ink. I have inked it up with Akkerman "Bekakt Haags" but the Edelstein "Smoky Quartz" would also be a good match.

The fears expressed by some in this thread that it was a repeat of the Tortoise are unfounded!

~ Quadratus:

Congratulations!

Your description above conveys this pen's beauty.

I'm s pleased to know that you like writing with it.

Thank you for this post.

Tom K.

If anyone is interested in a still photo of the two pens side by side, here are mine. I was able to get the Brown Black in the now available BB nib, so I bought more than one because they can be turned into almost any grind one might want. One of mine will become an architect point, which is my personal favorite.

I think FPN software reduces the size of the photo, so you may be able to click on it to enlarge it.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B33973A58-9935-44AB-9551-29E81BA7AD94%7D/origpict/IMG_2467.jpg

~ whichwatch:

Thank you for posting the image of your two pens, side-by-side.

That's a helpful comparison.

Tom K.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone own both a Brown-Black and a Pilot Custom 823 brown transparent?

If so, how does the brown of cap/section/piston knob of the Pelikan compare to the section/plunger knob of the Pilot.

Thanks!

Does anyone own both a Brown-Black and a Pilot Custom 823 brown transparent?

If so, how does the brown of cap/section/piston knob of the Pelikan compare to the section/plunger knob of the Pilot.

Thanks!

I've only got the Brown-Tortoise M800 but Id venture to say that comparng theat anr the 823, the Pelikan is just a little darker. I don't think that a photo would show a difference though. Just about discernable i natural daylight.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"