Pelikan Souverän M800 Brown-Black Fountain Pen

jaytaylor

I LOVE this pen! I might not have gotten the IB nib after all but with them back in production I will fix that when the budget allows for it.

~ Gobblecup:

What terrific images!

Thank you for posting a terrific set of photos.

It looks like a lovely pen.

May yours be an especially treasured writer!

Tom K.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• Intensity

• Gobblecup

• sirgilbert357

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tom,

Thank you for the good wishes. It is already seeing some happy use today. I am enjoying it!

Best,

Thomas M.

Gobblecup ~

Just received mine the other day. I had been awaiting the release of this pen for awhile. I got a medium nib as I already had a Stresemann with the broad nib I generally prefer but find difficult to use in my journal.

Let me start by saying it is everything you would expect regarding a Pelikan M800 series in terms of quality of materials and usability. And as there are pictures in the above posting I am going to refrain from posting more. So I will get to the basic question of style and aesthetics.

The cap, section, and knob are all a rich royal brown color. The barrel is a bit different then I expected though. The broader stripes appear much more golden then brown in hand, though I imagine one could get away with calling the color a shimmering bronze type brown. Not exactly the true brown I envisioned. The narrower stripes are black. All hardware is a bright gold.

Overall the pen exudes a richly elegant appearance. It will surely make a stunning impression upon its' presentation for use of any kind. It is not a pen of subtle looks, but demonstrates more of an "in your face" attitude. While it is more "bling" then the stodginess of the Stresemann model, it would still be suitable for business use, just be careful of upstaging your boss's Meisterstuck.

...it would still be suitable for business use, just be careful of upstaging your boss's Meisterstuck.

~ bits8964:

I laughed out loud when I read the above.

Thanks for that!

It sounds like a great pen.

May your provide much writing pleasure, even at the expense of Meisterstücks used by others.

Tom K.

I do not know if many of us have both models on hand especially the Tortoise because of it being rather rare. But I would love to see the comparison!

Gobblecup ~

Those real world shots are changing my opinion on this pen. I want to see more real world pics from end users. It looks like Pelikan marketing shots have failed to show the true beauty of the brown stripes! How do they so consistently sell their own pens short like this? They need to rethink their marketing strategy...

would love a side by side comp pic with M800 Brown Tortoise

I have a brown-tortoise and the brown-stripe didn't look different enough to justify buying. The real-world photos of the brown-strip definitely look like a nice alternative. The colors are similar but the tortoise has more variation.

Those real world shots are changing my opinion on this pen. I want to see more real world pics from end users. It looks like Pelikan marketing shots have failed to show the true beauty of the brown stripes! How do they so consistently sell their own pens short like this? They need to rethink their marketing strategy...

I agree that the real-world pictures of the brown-stripe M800 are much more compelling than the marketing pictures but such is not always the case with new Pelikan's. This is why I always wait to see real pictures before buying a new Pelikan model.

One of these days my Brown will arrive and I will get some side by sides with the 2013 Tortoise, unless, of course, someone else does it first.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I agree that the real-world pictures of the brown-stripe M800 are much more compelling than the marketing pictures but such is not always the case with new Pelikan's. This is why I always wait to see real pictures before buying a new Pelikan model.

I have adopted that stance too. I bought the Renaissance Brown based solely on marketing pics and was (thankfully) not disappointed. My preorder of the M805 Ocean Swirl got cancelled when I saw real world pics though...now I wait for real world pics by default.

I didn't want the Blue Dunes at all no matter what pics I saw, so that was flop for me from every angle...thankfully. I'm trying not to have 12 different colors of the SAME PEN. Sigh...

But the M800 Brown Black might end up in my collection if I have a good Christmas bonus and can justify the silly price...

Edited by sirgilbert357

I'm particularly disappointed with M600 Turquoise promo graphics, which advertised a signirifantly more green-tinted and vibrant turquoise compared to reality (which is basically just medium to light blue).

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I was hesitating whether to add this Brown Black to my collection (which already has the 800 and 400 Brown Tortoise), but now I think I am won over. I will definitely get this new beauty - (even if I really don't need yes another Pelikan M800, as I have an embarrassingly large collection of these wonderful pens!)

Edited by Quadratus

Not for me, both colour and price.

Technically, no different to the few M800's I possess and enjoy.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

One of these days my Brown will arrive and I will get some side by sides with the 2013 Tortoise, unless, of course, someone else does it first.

~ BillH:

Did a Pelikan Souverän M800 Brown-Black make it by pack-mule out to Rattlesnake Junction?

Or is it still in transit, stalled in a high mountain pass, wolves, coyotes and grizzlies monitoring its progress?

Tom K.

I LOVE this pen! I might not have gotten the IB nib after all but with them back in production I will fix that when the budget allows for it.

~ Gobblecup:

I've returned to this thread several times to once again enjoy your images of the Pelikan Souverän M800 Brown-Black pen you've acquired.

Your enthusiasm for the pen is inspiring. I hope that after nearly one month, you've found it to be a great writer.

Tom K.