Nemosine Fission And Neutrino With 1.1 Stub Nibs

pitonyak

Having heard good things about Nemosine pens, I decided to order five. I met some people that really liked them so I decided to give them a try.

I do not have any stub nibs, so, I ordered them with 1.1 stub nibs to give them a try. The moment I start talking about the nibs, remember that I have no experience with these nibs, so, although I can describe how they behave, I do not have the context of what is normal with this type of nib.

All of the images that I post can be found in full size in my smug-mug pen library. Last time I posted, I included a link to the full size image, but, I just don't want to take the time to do that. If you really want a closer look, just jump over to the library and take a look; I expect most people will not bother so this is faster:

https://pitonyak.smugmug.com/Pens/

The pen on the right (the smaller one) is a Neutrino ($10 on closeout), the others are all the Fission model ($15 on closeout)

Nemosine_01_all-L.jpg

The Fission has a much larger NIB

Nemosine_12_Neutrino_Fission_nibs_top-XL

Nemosine_13_Neutrino_Fission_nibs_bottom

The Nemosine Fission has a turned brass body and cap. The threaded twist cap also threads to post for a secure fit. I have NEVER seen that before. Here is a close-up of the threaded body where you can twist the cap for posting.
Nemosine_Fission_02_pen_body-L.jpg
The Nemosine nib is manufactured in Germany by JoWo with final tuning and installation at our Pennsylvania workshop. So they claim to tune each nib. The five pens all looked like they were set right so I believe them.
The pen feels large and heavy.
Each Nemosine Fission includes:
  • Cigar Style Brass Body Nemosine Fission Fountain Pen
  • #6 Nemosine JoWo Nib Installed
  • Removable Ink Converter
  • Arrives packaged in a basic pen sleeve (cloth of some kind)
  • Length Capped: 140.4mm | Length Posted: 169.3mm
  • Length Unposted: 128.3mm | Grip Diameter (Mid): 10.62mm
  • Barrel Diameter (Largest): 14.3mm | Weight: 44g (1.5oz)

This is one of my Fission bodies, see the threaded portion on the back of the body. This posts amazingly well. The converter does not fit super tight, so, I needed to hold onto the cartridge rather than the pen body while twisting the end to fill the converter. This was not an issue, and I have seen this before. I think it is probably good practice anyway. I believe that the converter is an international standard sized converter.

Nemosine_Fission_02_pen-L.jpg

The back of the nib is seen here. The nib might look like it is not aligned, but it is fine (as you will see in the next picture). The odd thing is that the black section is not aligned in the middle of the slit. I can push it over if I want, but it wants to then move back. Not sure if that is an issue or not, it seems to write so....

Nemosine_Fission_03_nib-L.jpg

Looking head on at the nib, ok, maybe it is off a hair...

Nemosine_Fission_04_nib_head_on-L.jpg

The top of the nib. The nib has an "N" at the top, then "1.1" at the bottom. The very bottom says "MADE IN GERMANY".

Nemosine_Fission_05_nib_top-L.jpg

Another view from the bottom

Nemosine_Fission_06_nib_bottom-L.jpg

Now lets look at the Neutrino before comparing writing samples (and similar). Notice that there are no threads on the body for posting. Sure, I can throw the pen cap on the back of the pen, but it will rattle around. I almost never post anyway, so I don't really care. If you are a die-hard posting fan, you probably will not like this pen.

Nemosine_Neutrino_08_pen-L.jpg

This is their smallest mode. The nib is a #5 size manufactured in Germany by JoWo. Each unit includes a removable international standard sized ink converter. WIRED Magazine listed this as one of 7 sensibly priced fountain pens under $30 that could last a lifetime. I paid about $10 for the pen.

Each Neutrino includes:
  • Brass Body Nemosine Neutrino Fountain Pen
  • #5 Nemosine JoWo Nib Installed
  • Threaded Twist Cap
  • Removable Ink Converter
  • Arrives packaged in a basic pen sleeve
Length Capped: 136.5mm | Length Posted: 147.9mm
Length Unposted: 115.8mm | Grip Diameter (Mid): 8.9mm
Barrel Diameter (Largest): 12.1mm | Weight: 36g (1.5oz)

This is the backside of the nib:

Nemosine_Neutrino_09_nib_bottom-L.jpg

And the top of the NIB

Nemosine_Neutrino_10_nib_top-L.jpg

Nemosine_Neutrino_11_nib_top-L.jpg

So, how did they write? My only comparison is to the Pilot 78G with a BB nib, and both of these pens are better writers than that one. I inked up the Fission (larger pen) with Waterman Absolute Brown Ink. First I wrote on Clairefontaine paper, which is very smooth. The 7th letter that I write dropped a large blob of ink onto the page. I usually dab the back of the nib after filling, and this is why; oops. The combination of smooth Clairefontaine paper and the larger #6 nib required more pressure to write than the Neutrino with the #5 nib. Also, the HP MultiPurpose 24lb paper required less pressure to write than the ClaireFontain paper, especially with the #6 nib.

sample_nemosine_fission_clairefontaine_p

Zoom in on part of this on the clairefontaine paper.

sample_nemosine_fission_clairefontaine_p

How about on cheaper paper, the HP MultiPurpose 24 pound paper. I think this was purchased from Costco in 875 page reams. I was going to test on the better HP Premium Laserprinter paper that I usually use. The 32lb paper is great stuff but I wanted lower quality paper for this test. I mean lower quality paper that is still pretty good paper.

sample_nemosine_Fission_hp_paper-XL.jpg

Here is a close-up

sample_nemosine_Fission_hp_paper_02-X2.j

So, the pen complains a bit when starting on an up-stroke. See the s in "stroke" above? There is never a problem on a down stroke, but sometimes on an up or side stroke. I think this is probably a thing with this type of nib, but, I cannot speak to it since I usually use an EF nib

I inked up the Neutrino with Watermine Serenity Blue. I chose these two colors so that they would both be Waterman with the hope that they will have at least similar characteristics, but, be different enough that it is obvious which is which. So, this is the clariefontain sample from the Neutrino.

sample_nemosine_neutrino_clairefontaine_

Here is a full size sample

sample_nemosine_neutrino_clairefontaine_

Here I switched to the HP MultiPurpose 24lb paper.

sample_nemosine_neutrino_hp_paper-L.jpg

And the full size sample on the HP paper with the Neutrino

sample_nemosine_neutrino_hp_paper_02-L.j

In summary, I must say that I am very impressed with these pens. I need much more practice with them to be sure, but, I am impressed with what I am seeing so far. The #6 nib in the Fission with the Waterman Brown ink is easier to use on a paper that is not as smooth as the ClaireFontaine. The pen works better (easier, less pressure) on the HP paper. I am not used to nibs of this size. The #5 nib, however, seems to be more reliable on both types of paper. I don't know if this specific to the one pen I tried or the nib; I think the nib.

I will be buying more of these pens, very impressed over-all.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pitonyak

• A Smug Dill

• MuddyWaters

• Honeybadgers

The fission is only weak to me because it doesn't have a very nice capping feel, and the screw to post is really weird since it makes it HUGE. it should have been just a normal, deep posting pen, which would've been awesome.

The neutrino is a solid little pen. Like a pilot metro with way more nib options.

I'm sad that nemosine is closing up shop to work with his brother at birmingham. I just hope they carry the space theme over, because I have no emotional attachment to pittsburgh, though I do applaud their commitment to making all pens and inks in the USA..

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The fission is only weak to me because it doesn't have a very nice capping feel, and the screw to post is really weird since it makes it HUGE. it should have been just a normal, deep posting pen, which would've been awesome.

Given that this is so obviously supposed to post, because you can screw it on, I was posting the Fission. Normally I do not post, but, posted, this pen is too heavy for me to use. No problems not posted. Might be what I am used to, but, I won't be posting this pen.

I was not aware that he was moving his shop. I hope he makes more pens and does not just shut the doors for good.

Nemosine is closing shop completely and he's going to focus on working with his brother at Birmingham pens, where they're going to focus on making everything exclusively in the US.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

The fission is only weak to me because it doesn't have a very nice capping feel, and the screw to post is really weird since it makes it HUGE. it should have been just a normal, deep posting pen, which would've been awesome. ...

I never post my pens, so I didn't realize that my fission screws to post. Trying it, it's like a cartoon pen or a weapon. The only thing I don't like about the fission is its weight. I'm waiting on three singularities in different nibs now.

The only thing I don't like about the fission is its weight.

The combination of the heft, hardness and glossy smoothness of the pen body is what makes the Nemosine Fission a pen I don't enjoy using at all. I have hefty metal pens (e.g. Rotring Initial, which is still my 'first love' that got me deeper into this hobby), thick pens (e.g. Platinum Izumo) and pens with glossy hard finishes (any number of pens finished with urushi/lacquer) that I enjoy using, but the Nemosine Fission is just... wrong to me.

I'm waiting on three singularities in different nibs now.

Ten in the post for me, and I already have half a dozen here.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I have four in the mail too

Fission, or Singularity?

I just wiiish Nemosine offered its remaining stock of Singularity — with the Stub nib options — earlier when I "ended up" ordering three Fission pens just to try out the #6 EF, 0.6 Stub and 0.8 Stub nibs; the only Singularity pens on offer at the time was the Coral, and only with F nibs (or maybe M nibs were on offer too, but since I have no use for round-tipped Medium or Broad nibs, there would be non-options for me).

Now I'll probably end up ordering some Chinese pens with more usable and much prettier acrylic bodies in search of something into which to transplant the nibs, and junk the Fission pen bodies.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Now I'll probably end up ordering some Chinese pens with more usable and much prettier acrylic bodies in search of something into which to transplant the nibs, and junk the Fission pen bodies.

OCArt found that the Nemosine #6 nibs fit in a Wing Sung 699. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/347840-wing-sung-699-victo-green-stationery-vacuum-filler-coming/?p=4249469

Thanks (I guess?) -- I've now ordered one for just overA$30.

And you can order the nibs directly from them at a decent price.

Not when I'm ordering from Australia. Nemosine wants to charge me US$25.68 for shipping a nib.

That, and the fact I can buy a whole Nemosine Singularity pen for US$7.99 instead of just "its" #6 nib for US$7.49 and pay the same shipping charges, makes ordering the standalone nibs not worth considering at all.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I think that I sorted out my problems writing with the 1.1 stub on the fission pen. Two things. Use a wetter ink and do not roll the pen while you write.

I received some more pens in the mail from them with different nibs, and they all work great.

Fission, or Singularity?

I just wiiish Nemosine offered its remaining stock of Singularity with the Stub nib options earlier when I "ended up" ordering three Fission pens just to try out the #6 EF, 0.6 Stub and 0.8 Stub nibs; the only Singularity pens on offer at the time was the Coral, and only with F nibs (or maybe M nibs were on offer too, but since I have no use for round-tipped Medium or Broad nibs, there would be non-options for me).

I got the singularities. Indeed that sounds frustrating. At the initial time I had looked I didn't see the singularity online and so looked at reviews of the fission. Even if I usually like metal bodied pens, this one seemed to have consensual reviews that it was not a comfortable pen to hold due to its build. The shipping costs to Canada made it even less likely that I would buy. However the singularity with capacity to eye dropper won me over at least for a trial as a work pen, especially the extra fine version, but I also got a fine, medium and broad, knowing they are jowo nibs that I could use in the future and also could use now just for testing.