Which Envelopes Do You Use?

Rocket1

I very much enjoy writing letters. I have some matching letter sets, but was looking for recommendations for envelopes to use with assorted writing paper, such as Tomoe River, Clairfontaine, laid cream paper etc. I was previously using supermarket white envelopes but I'm not sure they entirely match with the paper inside. But I am also not sure if it even matters, as envelopes may be thrown away! I am looking for something relatively inexpensive and available easily in the UK.

Many thanks in advance!

CHECK OUT MA BLOG! www.inkredibleblog.wordpress.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TMLee

• Rocket1

• Runnin_Ute

• almoore

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be worth looking at Basildon Bond, they produce matching envelopes and paper and they are nice quality and not too pricey.

Alternatively Conqueror used to produce nice paper and matching envelopes,it's been a long time since I bought any but worth checking out.

Al

I used to use Conqueror envelopes till i realized I could actually make the same on my own, and even more.

Try it.

You'll have fun.

What i do is to buy a small quantity of Conqueror paper , and then make envelopes out of each sheet.

I prefer writing on A5 size paper, whatever ink friendly paper.

So my envelopes end up C5 ? Size.

I can choose whatever shade of Conqueror paper, like the greys or the blues becos these shades, mask out the contents from prying eyes.

Use an extg envelope as a template, take it apart,

Transfer that envelope outline onto a sheet of copy paper. Marking with pencil outlines at strategic corners and turns .

That becomes your template.

Use this template and photocopy these pencil markings onto your fresh Conqueror paper.

Then fold along the markings and glue into a usable envelope.

When you do this, you will also see that you can modify the design of your envelope to your liking.

But its best to stick to established , approved postal envelope sizes lest you get $charged extra for non standard sized envelopes.

I cant remember whether i posted on this forum about making your own DIY envelopes.

My memory fails me.

If I did, it will probably be illustrated.

Anyway, theres another thread on this forum which takes it a step further.

You can place inside your envelopes an insert of patterned paper.

Very nice. 👍

Someone find that link and post here

😊

You can continue with this idea, making your own personalised envelopes too.

Or bespoke envelopes of your very own creations.

You can photocopy a logo onto your envelope as well.

Lots of possibilities.

Its $cheaper than buying your envelopes , add to that , the potential of something uniquely your identity.

Have fun

😊

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

• 4 weeks later...

The last envelopes I purchased were business size (#10) in a box of 500 from Costco. Good enough and the fp friendliness isn't to bad. I do have some templates of two or three sizes a cousin made for me a number of years ago. Rather than do on copy paper as TMLee suggested he used an old manilla folder and cut it out. So it takes some abuse. I believe I have had mine since the mid to late 70's.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Last I bought were Office Depot (via Office Max post merger) #10 and #6 3/4 "Security" envelopes with their "Clean Seal" (peel and stick).

No idea how they handle pen ink. For the monthly bills that don't provide envelopes I run up sheets of 2x4" self-stick inkjet labels. For the rare special need I run the envelope through my Epson printer, using Word to format the addresses.