The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Wild Pelikan Needs Nurture

pelican 100 restoration maesters

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 adamselene

adamselene

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 12:31

What I do when my wife looks for plant racks for the garden in antique stores is ask to see pens, and its rarely rewarding. This time is was exciting.

A sad looking pen, but the blunt rounded shape called for a closer look. Nib looked to have been polished many times, and I could only see K, (I really need to find time for cataract surgery). I have only modern Pels, but Ive seen 100s online.

At home, I can read the nib with my loupe, and look at webpages, and its definitely an 100.

Looks too delicate to do more than remove the cap.

Now Its residing in a tray, and I refrain from touching it. Again, time, prevents a photo.

I promise to take a photo when I send it off to rehab.

Just read http://www.caprafico...restoration-275 and Im enen more afraid of touching it.

Any suggestions?

Edited by adamselene, 16 September 2019 - 12:32.

Sponsored Content

#2 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,544 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 19:33

Don't know what country you are at so it's hard to aim you at a professional restorerer.

But that is what one does to a grand pen..............worth of resale is for some....but to me, the true worth is restoring a once grand pen........as much as possible, so it works as it should.

In twenty-40 years....with ongoing inflation, it will then be a cheap repair. B)

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#3 adamselene

adamselene

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 818 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 13:45

Y

Don't know what country you are at so it's hard to aim you at a professional restorerer.
But that is what one does to a grand pen..............worth of resale is for some....but to me, the true worth is restoring a once grand pen........as much as possible, so it works as it should.
In twenty-40 years....with ongoing inflation, it will then be a cheap repair. B)

I am in the Central Valley of California. Also looking to fix the lever on a CS Churchill, a stub. CS fixed it before. Bought it in Worldlux, a great online presence, when I chanced upon the store hanging out before getting on my first cruise. It was my first real stub, after my pilot 78 (? Think they’re called 78). I walked into a store a saidI think I like this stub thing), and the rest is history.

Worldlux sent it to a nibmeister for me when it had flow issues, without cost, and it came back in a great CS leatherette box, not a pentube. It was my favorite office pen for quite a while.

So, anywhere in USA. I am honored by your response, once lived on ketch in Alligator Alley your neck of the swamp, but now it’s a hammock under the ramada.

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2019 - 14:40

Ooh, you found a Pelikan in the wild?  So jealous.  And this from someone who's found Parker 51s in the wild (and for cheap).

My first thought, since it sounds like a really old pen, would be to contact Rick Propas (www.thepenguinpen.com) -- for advice if nothing else.  He's the most knowledgable person I can think of about vintage Pelikans, and if he can't do the work he can certainly point you to the right person (I was just commenting in another thread last night that I made the mistake of going to a talk he and Janet Wright gave at a pen show about collecting vintage Pelikans, and now I WANT one...  Only my wallet is going "nope nope nope nope nope"....

Another person to contact is FPN member sargetalon (if he hasn't already seen this thread).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 adamselene

adamselene

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 818 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:35

Tried and failed to upload photo from ipad

Edited by adamselene, 24 September 2019 - 08:55.

#6 kdv

kdv

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2019 - 13:27

If it is a 100: look at the breather hole in the nib. Heart shaped? You are lucky.
Greetings
Kdv

#7 adamselene

adamselene

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 818 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:28

If it is a 100: look at the breather hole in the nib. Heart shaped? You are lucky.
Greetings
Kdv

A round breather hole.

How to shrink picture size with iPad to post pix?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelican 100, restoration, maesters

Sponsored Content

|