The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pliers: Time To Start Learning Some Basic Nib Straightening Work.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:07

OK

Their "pliers" are not needle nose pliers from the hardware store, they are most likely specialty tools.

Example, take a look at the tools at "pen tooling."

https://pentooling.com/pliers.html

On a hardware store plier with teeth, the teeth will imprint/mar the nib.  You need a plier without teeth, or at least be padded enough that the teeth won't mar the nib.

A plier allows the skilled tech to do easier and faster what would be done with the fingers.

Again, a plier magnifies leverage and eliminates feedback.  So you REALLY have to know what you are doing.

That is the same reason I do NOT recommend newbies use a "section plier."  It is too easy to break the barrel or completely shear a pen in half.

The tool you did not mention is a nib block.

For hobby use, get the affordable $30 acrylic nib block, not the EXPENSIVE $200+ metal nib blocks.

Burnishers are DiY or commercial.  If you look creatively at some kitchen utensils, you can use some of them as burnishers.

You have to PRACTICE A LOT, to learn how to use a nib block to straighten a nib.  There is a lot of learn by trial and error.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sponsored Content

#22 eachan

eachan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 14:11

A plier is someone who plies a trade.  The singular of the tool is pliers.

For nib straightening, when fingers alone are not sufficient my default is the nib block and burnisher.  Burnishers, of course, must be as smooth as the block.  Penpractice provides an excellent kit

http://www.penpractice.com/page3.html

I use pliers - the round-nose type - only to reduce severe crumpling before using the nib block.

Regards,

Eachan

#23 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,559 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 15:46

...........There is a divine beauty in learning..............

...........To learn means to accept.........................

I have learned a lot from this thread......................

Thanks.........

Fred

#24 eharriett

eharriett

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 23:13

OK

Their "pliers" are not needle nose pliers from the hardware store, they are most likely specialty tools.

Example, take a look at the tools at "pen tooling."

https://pentooling.com/pliers.html

On a hardware store plier with teeth, the teeth will imprint/mar the nib.  You need a plier without teeth, or at least be padded enough that the teeth won't mar the nib.

A plier allows the skilled tech to do easier and faster what would be done with the fingers.

Again, a plier magnifies leverage and eliminates feedback.  So you REALLY have to know what you are doing.

That is the same reason I do NOT recommend newbies use a "section plier."  It is too easy to break the barrel or completely shear a pen in half.

The tool you did not mention is a nib block.

For hobby use, get the affordable $30 acrylic nib block, not the EXPENSIVE $200+ metal nib blocks.

Burnishers are DiY or commercial.  If you look creatively at some kitchen utensils, you can use some of them as burnishers.

You have to PRACTICE A LOT, to learn how to use a nib block to straighten a nib.  There is a lot of learn by trial and error.

Thank you.  That is helpful.  And that is what I'm looking to learn.  I'll get one of the blocks, too.

And thank you too for the explanation.  I do want to learn.

#25 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

You do, indeed, only live once.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 00:36

For nib straightening, when fingers alone are not sufficient my default is the nib block and burnisher.  Burnishers, of course, must be as smooth as the block.  Penpractice provides an excellent kit

http://www.penpractice.com/page3.html

I use pliers - the round-nose type - only to reduce severe crumpling before using the nib block.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was wondering if nib blocks and burnishing tools was ever going to be mentioned in the thread. The thought of pliers on a nib is pretty horrifying

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."
~ Benjamin Franklin

#26 Larry Barrieau

Larry Barrieau

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 00:23

Is there a video out there which explains the basics?

To better see my icon     http://fpnlcb.shutterfly.com/pictures

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen.  (It's smaller than an sj)

#27 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2019 - 17:41

Of what?

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#28 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,208 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 19:38

Of what?

unbending nibs

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#29 Vintagepens

Vintagepens

David Nishimura

• Member - Gold

• 2,595 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 22:24

http://vintagepensbl...eos-on-nib.html

#30 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• 1,880 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 05:42

The only way to learn, is by damaging pens/nibs, why do think the repairers have so much stock?
Nibs, a knowledge of metallurgy is an asset, easily learned, a lifetime to master in nib work.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

Sponsored Content

|