Has A Ballpoint Been Able To Replace Your Fountain Pen?

ncpenfan

I hate to say it..however I won't...'cause I ain't one of those people who drop toads in the punch bowl of life.....

{ frision; Dramatic Eye Look Thingie } Hope this was helpful in some way.................

Fred..

hear the one about the psychic who was reading Kim Kardashian's mind....

And fell asleep........................................

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• Honeybadgers

• Intensity

• CSG

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A question was asked. Sometimes the answer is not the same old same old. Some apparently prefer a Stepford town.

I tend to like different kinds of pens that write. All together in harmony.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I actually own that same Montblanc Rubber and Metal ballpoint, was a birthday present from my wife a few years ago, before I was heavy into fountain pens, still enjoy using it today. But I do prefer a fountain pen.

A question was asked. Sometimes the answer is not the same old same old. Some apparently prefer a Stepford town.

I tend to like different kinds of pens that write. All together in harmony.

Some prefer The Bramford aka The Dakota '68 ..72nd & Central Park West..New York City....

Deja Vu....CSN&Y..........'70

Fred..

No matter who you are..or where you are on life's journey..You are

welcome to the Fountain pen Network...............

And for the frictionary fans....Slysight: Watching someone with out appearing to...........................

I picked up the newer sherpa pen cover for ballpoints, and it's just cartoonishly long and bulky, so it's unfortunately never going to be used.

Once I'm done needing a sharpie however, the normal sherpa pen cover is getting a uni needle gel roller and will be used along with the trusty fisher AG-7.

I really need to ask someone to media blast the chrome plating off of an AG-7. I want one in solid brass really badly, and sanding the rear portion of the barrel is just not possible.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

It's rather hard to do when I don't own any ballpoint pens......

:)

:lticaptd:

My answer to the OP is "Nope...." I do have some Uniball rollerballs for specific types of drawing, general over a pencil drawing which is done with one of my trusty Berol Turquoise leaseholders. But BPs? No....

Today I got invited to a picnic my husband's company threw for people working on the current project (multiple groups). There was a raffle where you put your name and phone number into a box and various managers for the different groups did the drawings (my husband won an Amazon gift card, and the joke was his name got drawn by his team lead). The woman handing out the tickets offered me a pen and my husband said "Oh, no, she HAS a pen...." And the raffle tickets for the two of us were filled out with the Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue and Edelstein Star Ruby LE ink.... :thumbup: (Star Ruby didn't look half bad on the orange paper....)

I do have one BP for sentimental reasons, because it has the imprint for my friend's small business on it. But any other BPs in the house are my husband's.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

All together in harmony.

In Harmony, you say? I have a 1926 Duofold Lucky Curve ringtop I found in an antiques shop in Harmony, PA a few years ago.... B)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

No. Presently, I am on an extended trip to Europe and traveling very light. I brought with me a blank journal and a Parker flighter ballpoint. At the last moment, I threw in my Kaweco brass sport and two cartridges. I haven’t touched the Parker.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

I'm too young to have been using fountain pens while growing up--it was already ballpoint pens exclusively then, even for learning cursive in school. I expanded to gel pens and marker tip pens when those became widely available in my college years. Fountain pens are a more recent hobby and transition, so no, for me it's the other way around. Fountain pens have replaced most of my ballpoint/gel pen use.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I confess I use a ballpoint for duplicate checks, because who can be bothered to write something twice. And when I'm putting my taxes together I tend to notate my statements with said ballpoint, because I don't like to keep a fountain pen uncapped unless I'm actually writing with it.

My bank started charging me more for the carbon copy checks.

I never actually bothered using my checkbook to balance my account anyways, so that's gone.

I confess I use a ballpoint for duplicate checks, because who can be bothered to write something twice. And when I'm putting my taxes together I tend to notate my statements with said ballpoint, because I don't like to keep a fountain pen uncapped unless I'm actually writing with it.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Latest purchase, made for some unknown reason, Waterman Carene Amber Marine ballpoint. I like this color, and I already have the fountain pen. Ballpoints with broad points make good drawings to be washed over.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

Birthday cards.

We have a monthly office stream and

Fountain pens don't cut it.

Ugh! I reach for the oil based ink excreted off the cheap commodity office ballpoint. :wacko:

I repurposed my Sailor Zoom with Noodler's as an expensive Sharpie.

Doesn't cut it on some heavy cardboards. :unsure:

Out comes the sharpie.

Right tools for the right job. :)

No way.

Way. Pen or pencil washed over with watercolor is my choice of executing a sketch sometimes. I try different methods and don't let prejudices get in my way.

Oh! It's not prejudice. I do certainly use pencils, felt-tips and brushes. It's the ballpoint what (ever since I started with FPs some 40+ years back) I have never again been able to cope with. Oh! I do use them when I must, e.g. when I have to sign, do not have an FP at hand and I'm offered a ballpoint. But they cannot replace a fountain pen, no matter how hard I try.

BTW, I always use waterproof inks (ever since I remember), so no problem with ink. Yeah, sometimes you want to write on plastic-coated something... but for this I found loooong ago some Inoxcrom felt-tip pens that write an F line, entirely made of steel (so, sturdy) and able to write anywhere. These, did actually heavily coexist with FPs when I had only two or three because they allowed me to include more colors in my notes. You see, for scarcely used colors, an FP may suffer of ink drying, but a felt-tip was less prone. Now, I do use several FPs for colors and almost never the felt-tip pens (well, rather, never).

This is a photo of some notes I took in the late '80s/early '90s on an A6 journal with a 4mm square grid (so, tiny handwriting). The blue and black were written with an FP (I think it was a Slimline/Noblesse MB) with an EF nib. The red and green were written with Inoxcrom felt-tip pens. Interestingly, I still conserve all of them.

fpn_1570285741__20191005_162143.jpg

Sorry for the bad writing. I can hardly avoid being an MD after all. And if I weren't, being an IT professional doesn't help much ether.

A ballpoint? Pressing hard on paper to write? Having ink dry as well when unused? Licking the point to start it?

No way.

Edited by txomsy

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Well at school we used only ballpoint and all my studies I used only simple ballpoints or roller balls. Since I tried a fountain pen first time I do not see myself using anything else. Nevertheless sometimes there is no choice if the paper has some coating and fountain pen simply can not be used to write on it.

No, ballpoints didn't replace fountain pens. When I have to write something, even the grocery list, I use my beloved nibs. Sometimes pencils did replace them, but after a while I always go back to fountain pens.

It is only if I have to write an envelope or something that could be washed out that I use a ballpoint pen: a rotring tikky or a ballograf epoca being my favourites.

I rarely use anything but a fountain pen anymore. Occasionally I will use a Sharpie or the Parker 45 Flighter bp or mp I keep in my Franklin planner. I keep a Waterman Hemisphere rollerball with a Pilot G2 refill around as well. Checks? Whatwver is handy. Sometimes a fountain pen sometimes a bp or rollerball.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain