Does Anybody Make A Clone Of Parker 75 Cicele (Sterling Silver)?

InvisibleInk

If you want a Parker 75 buy a Parker 75.

If you want something else buy something else.

Buying a "clone" that some company produces is just ripping off Parker. IMHO

I agree with you 100%. Although it's not as bad as copying existing, current production models. But still.

I'm always surprised how pretty much nobody on this forum gives a hoot about intellectual and property rights. Seems like ripping off Parker, Lamy, Pilot, among others, is quite alright and is even encouraged. I'll leave it at that.

I'm thinking you'll get more bad energy from a clone, than from the real deal!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• InvisibleInk

• Glenn-SC

• FarmBoy

SHALITHA33 I like these pens because Parker 75 has (at least to my taste) one of the best designs possibles.

I am a pen user not a collector and :

-it has the right weight not too heavy or too light

-grip is very good, you won't get tired writing with it for long period of time

-design is elegant neither too showy nor cheap looking

-craftsmanship is superb I have a couple of 75 and 61s which have worked flawlessly since they were bought nearly 55 years ago

-cleaning and maintenance is very easy compared to any other filling mechanisms I have experienced. Especially if you change your ink colors 75 is very easy to flush and clean. (in comparison the 61 has a auto fill mechanism which drives a person nuts to flush)

All in all 75 in my humble opinion stands above Lamy 2000 (too bulky for long writing sessions at least for me) or any other really well designed pens I have experienced. But then again it is a matter of taste.

dan in montreal I agree fakes (with fake logo pretending to be Parker or other brands) are a disgrace and nobody should pay a peny for them, BUT do a bit of research on copyright laws and you see many of what you consider illegal copies are perfectly legal and legitimate. Example of this is Wing Sung 601 or Hero 616 in relation to Parker 51.

I take my hat off to designers in Parker company. Given the choice I would buy a Parker, but while they are no longer manufacturing 51 or other such classic pens, why should another company not use the same design and technology after copyright has expired to make good writing instruments under their own name?

By the way I was in Montreal once and bought few bottles of ink from "Le Stylo" in the Place Cathedral. They had very knowledgeable staff. Where else do you recommend in Montreal?

Edited by InvisibleInk

And its a blatant admission by the Clone Manufactures that they cant come up with a better design that would sell. Their hopes at making money is to copy someone elses idea.

If someone wants to make Replicas or custom versions of popular pen designs, versions that the original manufacturer never offered, I am all for that. Make them and let everyone know that they are replicas.

But spitting out mass copies of something made popular by another manufacturer strikes me as cheap and wrong.

I hunted and eventually found a 75, it's a nice if small pen, particularly the Ciselé, and you can still find it new so there's no reason beyond the price to look for a copy which would not be as reliable and have such a great nib.

Luckily I don't believe in ghosts, my 75 just needs a little polish.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

The non-Parker designs that are close to the 75 Sterling Cisele were contemporary to it: Sheaffer made sterling silver Imperials with a similar grid, but rotated 45 degrees, and also with diamond-shaped grid rather than squares. If I remember correctly, there were also some Sheaffer Targas with a shallow incised grid without any black filling.

Parker has continued the sterling cisele design on the Sonnet since its introduction. It also appears on the Parker 180 and Parker Premier (the Premier is essentially a slightly larger and fancier 75, and it uses the same section and nib).

If you shop carefully on eBay or at pen shows, you can occasionally find new old-stock Parker 75 Sterling Cisele's. They tend to be expensive, but such is the nature of buying something rare. If they are unused, the plastic sleeve should be present, and the fountain pen will almost always have a pristine nib sticker (look for a "flag" style sticker the clip). Here are some examples on eBay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Parker-75-14k-Sterling-Silver-Fountain-Pen-Set-Never-Used/143374866742?hash=item2161ced936:g:WvwAAOSwuQtdcYO7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/parker-75-sterling-silver-fountain-pens-in-box-sheaffer-rare-fountain-pen/123730318115?hash=item1ccee6d323:g:K4MAAOSw0G9brLtn

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-75-Sterling-Silver-Fountain-Pen-And-Ballpoint-Pen-14K-Nib-In-Original-Box/283607604114?hash=item4208549b92:g:BhEAAOSwTj9dWH~K

Fine and Extra-fine seem to be the two most common nib grades on the new-old-stock examples, then medium next after that. Because of the exchangeable nibs, if someone wanted extra-broad, oblique, italic or whatnot, the dealer could order a nib for exchange.

-- Joel -- "I collect expensive and time-consuming hobbies."

INK (noun): A villainous compound of tannogallate of iron, gum-arabic and water,

chiefly used to facilitate the infection of idiocy and promote intellectual crime.

(from The Devil's Dictionary, by Ambrose Bierce)

Finding NOS 75s is quite doable. They come at a premium price.

75s are not 70 plus years old at any rate.

Ive apparently been very lucky, Ive owned far more used pens than new and I havent had a mojo on my used pen butt for decades but almost every new pen hates me and makes that well known.

Edited by FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

So, ever think of either some sage smudge or some peyote? Might help...

MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

KALESSIN thanks those are very beautiful pens also. I'll keep watching for them.

ISMITH42 I checked what peyote was and this turned up "a hallucinogenic drug prepared from the peyote cactus, containing mescaline." thanks for the suggestion. We have exorcise sessions every Sunday, I'll give it a try. Probably have to rob some of it to the pen also :)

FarmBoy I think I have to save up and do that or do what SHALITHA33 suggested and build one from NOS parts. Fortunately I only need one or two pens (I am not a collector) so the cost will not be too much of a burden divided by 30 years of usage.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions (and even making fun of my mortal fears, cheered me up).

Edited by InvisibleInk

plus, no-one has really answered the question

haven't the Chinese made a replica of this? it's hard to believe... I've seen replicas of Omas Paragon and of Waterman Liason which were far less popular that the 75 cisele...

there must be one, if you look hard enough...

have you consulted the Chinese pens thread? there's hundreds of models on show and the thread has outlived the OP (a wealth of knowledge thanks to him)

(although I mostly agree with the suggestion, if you want a 75, get a 75...)

one more comment, the 75 is a small pen by today's standards, have you tried one, before handing cash needed for a NOS?

plus, no-one has really answered the question

haven't the Chinese made a replica of this? it's hard to believe... I've seen replicas of Omas Paragon and of Waterman Liason which were far less popular that the 75 cisele...

there must be one, if you look hard enough...

have you consulted the Chinese pens thread? there's hundreds of models on show and the thread has outlived the OP (a wealth of knowledge thanks to him)

(although I mostly agree with the suggestion, if you want a 75, get a 75...)

one more comment, the 75 is a small pen by today's standards, have you tried one, before handing cash needed for a NOS?

No, no one ever tried to make a Parker 75 look-alike.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I think that pens which require heavy machining, and made out of precious metal, are cloned less. Pens which are made of gold/silver-plated brass and resin/plastic, are cloned more often (such as Montblanc 144 and 146). A rather believable clone of the Montblancs can be made very cheaply, which is hard to tell from the real thing without a using a magnet or disassembly. The 75 Cisele with it's deeply cut grooves, and produced out of Sterling Silver, is not an ideal target to clone. And while much of the industry turns a blind eye to their products being cloned, the agencies which enforce hallmarks for purity with precious metals is far more heavy handed, and will gladly invoke Fraud charges to anyone who sells silver-plated products as solid Sterling.

I would wager that a modern reproduction/clone, made by actually cutting real/solid Sterling Silver, and using a real 14/18Kt Gold nib, would cost as much or far more than what pristine New In Box sets are sold for. The only way you could manufacture a bargain clone 75 cisele would be by having the grooves roller stamped in thin brass sheet tube, and silver plated afterwards. Something like that would suffer from brassing (silver worn away at all of the edges of those checkerboard boxes) in short order, certainly less than 2 years with any reasonable use.

Edited by Addertooth

Imagine you are holding the pen and sitting exactly as the former owner of that pen was sitting. You are indeed mimicking him, taking his place. Taking place of a most probably dead person. Well, what if his spirit spooked into you?! All his sadness, misfortunes, maybe even sickness. Call me an idiot but I think it is too close for comfort.

Of course the other way around could work too, all his good fortune, happiness, luck,.... But with my luck most probably I will end up with his bald head not his fortune!

Hmm, maybe I should toss all my vintage pens in the trash. I think that one of the pens might have been owned by someone who was hanged. Still worse, one might have been owned by a lady, and who knows what that will do to me. I wonder if that goes for a used tape deck I just got, too.

I think that pens which require heavy machining, and made out of precious metal, are cloned less. Pens which are made of gold/silver-plated brass and resin/plastic, are cloned more often (such as Montblanc 144 and 146). A rather believable clone of the Montblancs can be made very cheaply, which is hard to tell from the real thing without a using a magnet or disassembly. The 75 Cisele with it's deeply cut grooves, and produced out of Sterling Silver, is not an ideal target to clone. And while much of the industry turns a blind eye to their products being cloned, the agencies which enforce hallmarks for purity with precious metals is far more heavy handed, and will gladly invoke Fraud charges to anyone who sells silver-plated products as solid Sterling.

I would wager that a modern reproduction/clone, made by actually cutting real/solid Sterling Silver, and using a real 14/18Kt Gold nib, would cost as much or far more than what pristine New In Box sets are sold for. The only way you could manufacture a bargain clone 75 cisele would be by having the grooves roller stamped in thin brass sheet tube, and silver plated afterwards. Something like that would suffer from brassing (silver worn away at all of the edges of those checkerboard boxes) in short order, certainly less than 2 years with any reasonable use.

Well of course you're right, but if you do look at replicas (not fraudolent copies), what happens is they are not exactly like the original, and of course they cut corners where they cannot use the same materials or manufacturing technology.

I recall there is a Chinese pen that is ciselled in brass, I think it's the one with the dragon clip.

So this type of finish is possible (obviously not identical, let alone in solid silver...).

And Chinese replicas have always suffered from plating wearing off in any case...

I think if they wanted, they'd do it, maybe they have...

Maybe it turned out so different no-one has realized it's a 75 replica.

I think the Jinhao X450 tries to replicate the 75 section, for example...

Edited by sansenri

FRREDY I tired but it is difficult to write with a pen when a bulb of garlic is tied to it :)

OK guys I hear what you say. Don't blame me when one day as you are holding an old pen suddenly words start to appear that you did not write :)

Invisible..had no idea re your concern over Vampires...wasn't it Bram Stoker who let us know that garlic is a deterrent to Vampires...

Contact Lih-Tah Wong { cost you nothing to email } at Parker 75.com LTW@Parker75.com re your need for a Parker New Old Stock 75....

In the matter of Clones.....I'm here to tell you the truth in regards to 'em.....If one buys 'em 'tis Bad Mojo for life.........

Let all of us know what you do..Thanks.....Take care...Be safe out there.................

Fred

Redacting: Ain't gonna blame you......

"Tis a good day..no one has a bead on me..and every day is Christmas..................

Edited by Freddy

Still worse, one might have been owned by a lady, and who knows what that will do to me.

Yeah, it might not behave unless you put pink ink in it....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for the suggestions. They are not expensive, so I could order different ones and try to see how they perform. Thank you China also.

Edited by InvisibleInk

now, I new they must have had a go at it...

they leave nothing non-attempted, it's in their nature

As much as it may not be identical, inspiration is more than clear

Jinhao 75...

check the link here, there's a silver (colour) version

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32850541706.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5b607d59tXgGnB&algo_pvid=f4b7d1a4-ff45-48e9-8876-f70792a545a0&algo_expid=f4b7d1a4-ff45-48e9-8876-f70792a545a0-16&btsid=3061a7fa-543e-4947-97e1-b5fefae3f090&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_9,searchweb201603_52

costs less than $10

and the section is resin not metal

here is the picture

fpn_1568547581__jinhao_75.jpg

Edited by sansenri