The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Recommend To Me An A5 Journal

journal a a5 unlined ivory

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 foreignexport

foreignexport

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:52

how about Rhodia rhodiarama goalbook

they come in about 20 different colours

Sponsored Content

#22 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2019 - 16:17

I had not seen these, they must be new. Good suggestion, although the ones that are blank are kind of scarce, and they do have all these 'planning' pages that are useless to me.

#23 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2019 - 17:05

The paper quality of these Rhodia goalbooks is not the same as the webnotebook. I bought one and it was not FP friendly. :(

#24 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2019 - 18:18

The paper quality of these Rhodia goalbooks is not the same as the webnotebook. I bought one and it was not FP friendly. :(

:(  :(  :(

#25 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2019 - 18:20

Why is it that the pretty, hardbound blank books all have crapola paper? I'm looking at you, Paperblanks. Grrr.

#26 foreignexport

foreignexport

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2019 - 23:32

that's good to know - at cult pens they are identified as being ideal for journals - but i have not yet used one myself

it states 90gsm vellum paper by clairefontaine

Edited by foreignexport, 28 September 2019 - 23:35.

#27 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 2,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 05:57

Boy, I can feel your pain.....I’ve been on that journey for many years. Can’t count how many different books i’ve Tried. After getting really frustrated and spending a lot of money, it hit me that
Maybe writing with fountain pen is a three legged stood. Ink, pen and paper. I decided to make pen and ink match my paper. Journaling became a system, not just a book i write in..
Long and short of it is i use hard cover Leuchtturm1917 for journals. Nicer paper than Rhodia. Cream color paper, with a light dot print. A big feature for me deciding on these, was Page Numbers. When there is an event i want to be able to go back to, i make a note of the item and page number in the back of the book. I find this really valuable. I added a nice leather cover.
I had my perfect Journal and then had to adapt my pen and ink to the paper.
I switched all my Journaling pens over to fine and extra fine nibs. They are all wet writers putting down a thin but saturated ink line. I weeded out a few of the very wet inks to avoid bleed through.
That’s my journey. It may not work for you, but maybe you’ll find an idea out of my system that you can use.
Good luck. Let us know what you finally decide on. If you come up with a better system I’m ready to learn.

#28 LizB

LizB

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 06:11

Have you considered making one yourself? That sort of casebound, signature-sewn notebook is not terribly difficult to make if you are a bit handy, and it may open up your paper choices a little.

#29 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 11:38

Since you requested hard bound then Endless Recorder +1 although there might be ghosting in the 68 gsm variant of TR

#30 Mech-for-i

Mech-for-i

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:05

I dare to be different , if you write as daily need Fine or EF and not really trying to paint with ink , then one of Muji's Recycled Paper book bind Journal ( those with a ribbon bookmark ) can be had in multiple size including A5 , they come in cream and blank ; I had no trouble with FM and M nib on them with my usual Iron Gall Blue Black. I use them with a fabric book cover that's of course 3rd party. An A6 is one I carry in my travel pack ( for short business trip ) . Muji's got several grade of notebook and except for the cheapest, they tend to work well with fountain pen. They have better heavier stock notebook, the wire bound dot grid with a elastic bungee closure is particularly good

The other one I would recommendis the Maruman Report Pad Type W, that's the blanck page type , they comes in 60g weight A4 ( 50P ), B5 ( 50P ) and A5 ( 40P ) its colored light light cream , you can say its white but its actually very faint cream.

#31 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:13

I am noting all these suggestions!

I may indeed start making my own journals at some point. I like making things as long as they are not mechanical. Leuchtturm makes lovely books but their paper ghosts and sometimes even bleeds through as I write with flexible nibs. I now have acquired a couple others to try, Endless Recorder and Taroko Design, have not written in them yet. The adventure continues! 

#32 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 13:27

TWSBI

#33 sombrueil

sombrueil

sad, but true

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 13:47

TWSBI

A good review of it here: http://earnestward.b...nals-twsbi.html

Tomoe River paper but seems it is the thin stuff which for me shows a lot of ghosting (but no bleed through).  It does only come in black (bearable) and is soft cover, which I do not prefer, but it seems a worthy option at a very good price point.

#34 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 14:07

A good review of it here: http://earnestward.b...nals-twsbi.html

Tomoe River paper but seems it is the thin stuff which for me shows a lot of ghosting (but no bleed through).  It does only come in black (bearable) and is soft cover, which I do not prefer, but it seems a worthy option at a very good price point.

After 8 years of buying journals, TWSBI is my all around favorite, especially in the bang for buck category. Ticks all the boxes for me, and under $20. That's my kind of journal.

Edited by TSherbs, 29 September 2019 - 14:08.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: journal a, a5, unlined, ivory

Sponsored Content

|