The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Leonardo Davinci's Drawing Supplies

leonardo davinci drawing art supplies

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tadeo

Tadeo

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 02:22

Today, You Know which video platform gave me the following suggestion:

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Tadeo

Sponsored Content

#2 MHBru

MHBru

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:49

that was very cool.  thanks for sharing

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,853 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 17:35

Thanks for posting the link.  Really interesting stuff (especially the part about the watercolor paints).

But I will note that what the guy didn't bring out during the first part, with the silverpoint drawings, is that part of the reason you need a rougher surface is that you are actually leaving little scrapings of the silver onto the surface, and then those particles of silver will oxidize (I've always wanted to find someone who will make me a silverpoint "lead" to fit in one of my Berol Turquoise leadholders -- or at least make the tube shape and then I will figure out a way to grind down the end to a point.  

I think there are places you can buy them, but they aren't cheap....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#4 ridiculopathy

ridiculopathy

Modern

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:38

Thank you for posting! I saw an exhibit of Michelangelo's drawings a year or so ago, so seeing this (drawing supplies from about the same time period) helps put it into context!

#5 milkb0at

milkb0at

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:54

Fascinating. Imagine what LdV could have done with today's art materials.

#6 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,022 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 13:47

Fascinating. Imagine what LdV could have done with today's art materials.

The same thing, I'd imagine. It's not the tool but the user.

Ruth, I do have a silverpoint, stuck in a generic pencil. It was made decades ago. I think I use (used) it on a piece of matt board covered in gesso.

I had books from Dover describing artist's tools and materials and I must have made every one, apart from the iron gall ink.

Thanks, Tadeo, for this video!

Edited by Sailor Kenshin, 29 September 2019 - 13:54.

#7 milkb0at

milkb0at

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2019 - 21:37

The same thing, I'd imagine. It's not the tool but the user.

I was thinking along the lines of either

(a) the same but moreso, since there's be less prep time (coating papers, mixing up paints) and equipment that's generally quicker to use, or

(B) with his love of technical & design drawings, I'd bet he'd love Copic markers and all that.

#8 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,853 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:37

Yeah, but he was also an engineer and inventer -- I even saw a thing on TV once saying that he might have been the one behind the Shroud of Turin, because one of the things about that is that the figure seems somewhat strangely shaped proportions (almost as if seen from an angle) -- and da Vinci would have been aware of -- and maybe used -- a camera obscura for some of his other work.

I bet he'd be using fountain pens with really cool fill systems.  I can see him having fun with a Sheaffer Snorkel (dunno what he'd think of a capillary fill Parker 61 -- whether he'd think it was also cool, or not).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#9 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,913 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2019 - 13:33

Oh my. Just found this.

The British Library now has 570 of Leonardo's marvellous notes digitized for us all to drool over :puddle:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leonardo, davinci, drawing, art, supplies

Sponsored Content

|