Mitchell Roundhand Nib Trouble

kingcobradude

I have some Mitchell roundhand dip pin nibs, and in the narrow sizes, they work fine. But with the broader sizes, they just refuse to start writing, and half of the time when they do start, the line is only in the center of the nib and wildly uneven. Any advice to help with this?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• kingcobradude

• AAAndrew

Top Posters In This Topic

Lick the nib to get rid of the oil.

Or, take a match or a lighter to it for a second. I've done both.

Others take a tooth brush and tooth paste to them.

You have to get rid of the oil.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

If these are vintage (and maybe even new ones, I'm not that familiar with current nibs), the coating you need to remove was not an oil, it was a shellac. Soap will have little to no effect on a shellac coating. (the rubbing may loosen it if the coating was particularly thin or fragile) With the toothbrush method, it's the abrasive in the toothpaste which takes it off. Alcohol might work, it should dissolve shellac, but then some companies used a more mixed varnish which may or may not be soluble in alcohol.

The best method for vintage pens is still heat. The big, broad nibs you're talking about are even less likely to be affected by the heat than delicate, finely-pointed ones. I insert the nib in a holder, and wave the center part of the nib over a flame for two seconds, ("one-one-thousand" then removed for half a second, then back in for the second second) then wipe it off. Sometimes you'll even see a small puff of smoke and smell the evaporated finish. Wiping it off ensures any loosened finish will be removed.

Also, ensure all of the tines are lined up evenly, and ensure you are placing it squarely on the page, i.e. that you aren't tilting it more in one direction or another.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

:thumbup: It's no problem here on the com to increase one's knowledge with out even trying.

I'd never read about doing the flame trick twice nor how exactly.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.