The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Asc (Armando Simoni Club) Delivery Times?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 23:16

mongrelnomad You are lucky guy...there has been a lot written in website about this Company' (Aurora) poor communication and customer service. ;) 

Care to share your own personal experiences?
Too many pens; too little writing.

Sponsored Content

#22 bebox

bebox

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 September 2019 - 21:56

Small update.

A short video from Manu (Founder of ASC) came in the form of an email, explaining why the pens are late (it seems it isn't just mine).

Basically the factory in Italy was on holidays the whole month of August and they didn't calculate that re-starting production and polishing and shipping would take that long. 

As a small "thanks for waiting", they'll include a $100 coupon for future acquisitions in the box.

And the pens will be shipped out starting next week.

The video is private, so can't share; but it's kinda funny, with Manu sitting on his Sofa holding a glass of wine in his hand... :)

La dolce far niente, indeed...

#23 como

como

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:49

bebox: It's really hard to believe that one couldn't foresee the delivery delay at beginning of August and would only inform end of September of "start shipping". The thought that perhaps they secured pre-orders and payments before actually starting production came to my mind. Hope it was an honest mistake. Even if they wanted to take pre-orders and secure payments first, it would have been easier to say so, to avoid expectation mismanagement. I hope you get your pen soon. Good luck! On the other hand, I am still waiting for my Conid, no reply no nothing and one and half months delayed already.

#24 Seney724

Seney724

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:21

bebox: It's really hard to believe that one couldn't foresee the delivery delay at beginning of August and would only inform end of September of "start shipping". The thought that perhaps they secured pre-orders and payments before actually starting production came to my mind. Hope it was an honest mistake. Even if they wanted to take pre-orders and secure payments first, it would have been easier to say so, to avoid expectation mismanagement. I hope you get your pen soon. Good luck! On the other hand, I am still waiting for my Conid, no reply no nothing and one and half months delayed already.

+1

#25 bebox

bebox

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2019 - 18:16

So, finally got the pen, it’s marvelous. 
I’ll post pictures later. 

#26 como

como

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2019 - 11:35

bebox: That’s good news. Please do post some photos. Any Arco would be a pleasure to look at.

So, finally got the pen, it’s marvelous. 
I’ll post pictures later.

#27 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2019 - 21:41

I know it's hard to understand, for the rest of the world.

There's probably no good excuse either, but since always, Italy grinds to a complete halt during summer holidays.

It's tradition, customary behaviour, habit, an unavoidable thing, but it just happens, and has changed very little in the past 50 years.

Italians take 1 month holiday in August, yes, 4 weeks in a row.

It's not that they have more holidays than others, they just concentrate them during the summer.

Other countries take longer holidays during the year, bank holidays, Easter holidays, etc. Italians don't. They save up all their holidays and then shoot a whole month to the seaside.

In August Italian cities are mostly ghost towns... even restaurants, coffee bars, museums close down!

The whole life moves to the shores...

Companies shut down. If they stay open they will need to pay for services while the offices are empty...

Many companies decide that August is a good month for maintenance (a few poor workers skip the seaside holiday, but will go later).

This has always been a problem in the industry...

If production stops for a month, when you reopen early September will any goods be ready to ship?

Not unless you have produced them in July...

So if you need assistance on August 2nd, and there is no-one to take care of it, when everyone is back on September 2nd (monday this year), it then takes a week to take care of it, and feeback shifts to 2nd week of September.

Is it crazy? absolutely.

Will things change in future? perhaps, not in the very close future if you ask me...

(what do italians do in such case?, go on holiday, call assistance in September... :rolleyes: )

#28 como

como

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2019 - 22:13

sansenri: I do know what you were saying. I lived in Spain for several years and it was very similar. But we made sure that work was done by end of July, and told all of our international clients that in August we were all out, everyone including the receptionist. So no one bugged us unless it was emergency. It is about managing expectations. August holiday tradition is a great one and always something to look forward to. But it would be unwise to pretend everything was normal and came August, they just disappeared :-)

I know it's hard to understand, for the rest of the world.
There's probably no good excuse either, but since always, Italy grinds to a complete halt during summer holidays.
It's tradition, customary behaviour, habit, an unavoidable thing, but it just happens, and has changed very little in the past 50 years.
Italians take 1 month holiday in August, yes, 4 weeks in a row.
It's not that they have more holidays than others, they just concentrate them during the summer.
Other countries take longer holidays during the year, bank holidays, Easter holidays, etc. Italians don't. They save up all their holidays and then shoot a whole month to the seaside.
In August Italian cities are mostly ghost towns... even restaurants, coffee bars, museums close down!
The whole life moves to the shores...
Companies shut down. If they stay open they will need to pay for services while the offices are empty...
Many companies decide that August is a good month for maintenance (a few poor workers skip the seaside holiday, but will go later).
This has always been a problem in the industry...
If production stops for a month, when you reopen early September will any goods be ready to ship?
Not unless you have produced them in July...
So if you need assistance on August 2nd, and there is no-one to take care of it, when everyone is back on September 2nd (monday this year), it then takes a week to take care of it, and feeback shifts to 2nd week of September.
Is it crazy? absolutely.
Will things change in future? perhaps, not in the very close future if you ask me...
(what do italians do in such case?, go on holiday, call assistance in September... :rolleyes: )

#29 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,132 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 15:43

obviously you're right, como,  and I'm not generalizing

there are smart companies in Italy that do exactly what you say, actually they prepare for it, because the problem is that even if you wanted to stay open most of your suppliers would be on holiday your services would be on holiday etc...

so most companies do plan ahead...

the problem is August 2nd... (this year a friday) if you send in a pen for repair on friday August 2nd (start of the holiday period), to an Italian company, you need to put into account a long wait...

#30 como

como

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2019 - 20:02

sansenri: With pens I have learned to be more patient. My patience level is not without limit but it’s a hobby after all, and we don’t need to drive ourselves (and sometimes others) crazy. It’s easier said than done, but occasional reminders have done good to my own sanity. After all it’s been a wonderful hobby.

#31 Seney724

Seney724

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2019 - 02:16

Although ASC pens are made in Italy, ASC is not an Italian company.

Nor is the type poor communication / poor customer service they displayed (which was the impetus for this thread) limited to the month of August.

Just saying............

#32 Jpp1st

Jpp1st

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 15:08

I too waited for my first ASC pen and I was worried as it took a while. I think we have all gotten used to instant gratification.   The pen I ordered was made by hand. I lucked out on the second run of the Arco bronze pens, yes I waited but it did come.  When I spoke with customer service they likened it to buying a custom suit v a rack suit.  Difference is with a suit there is always more wool, silk etc. with Arco celluloid not really.  I can say honestly I was a real pain, but they were honest and came through. I trust ASC now, so much I ordered and received 3 Arco verde’s.   All beautiful pens.  My point is yes it is a US company, but the factory is in Europe, and it’s just the way things are done in the Summer in Italy.   For me it was worth the wait. Production planning with scarce material can be very difficult. If this had happened with a regular resin pen I would feel differently.  But I can say this, the ASC people are honest and I believe they do their best. Jim

#33 Seney724

Seney724

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2020 - 17:47

Thanks for the information. 

I hope it is unsolicited and not any sort of a "quid pro quo" arrangement you've transacted with ASC.  If so, it adds some needed balance to the many threads which portray ASC in a negative light.  

Regardless, what's most important of course, is that you are happy with your purchase.

Personally, I find their explanation that their pens are like fine custom suits whereas those of their competitors are analogous to rack suits says volumes about their hubris and their arrogance.  There is no chance they will ever see a penny from me.

#34 Paul-in-SF

Paul-in-SF

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2020 - 00:07

So the pen arrived in October, photos promised, but nothing yet?

Please, bebox, please give us photos. 

#35 Drawing61

Drawing61

Isle of Innisfree

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:23

About a year ago I purchased from Chatterley  the ASC "Three Kings" set. I enjoy all the nibs, especially the architect. 

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

Sponsored Content

|