Are These Parker Inks Washable Or Permanent?

Cassotto

This has probably been asked before a gazillion times, but I cannot find a definite answer on FPN or elsewhere.

I've got two bottles of Parker Quink ink, one black and one blue black. I think both bottles are the same, the labels have different designs and the boxes are different, too. I don't know whether this is because one is washable and the other permanent, or because of a change in the design.

Are these inks washable or permanent? I've read that if they are washable the box would say so, but I'm not completely sure it's like that.

IMG-4230.jpg

Thanks!

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go. (Oscar Wilde)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Olya

• Cassotto

• amarjit

• hari317

It's just a new design.

The silver box on the left is new design (with the royal warrants).

If it's washable it'll say so on the box.

In Europe they only seem to sell washable blue, no other colour.

Non-washable inks will sometimes wash out of clothes just fine, but don't bank on it!

AFAIK Parker UK sells only "washable blue". They also sell normal Blue, Black, Blue Black, Green etc.

The Box on the left is the newer design, the one on the right is older from a couple of years back.

HTH

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

they are washable, a slight water drop easily remove this inks

No, that just means they aren't waterproof. Even non-waterproof inks will often leave residue dye, like Parker Quink Black leaves behind blue residue, which leaves readable text even if the main ink has washed away.

This also means that it's possible that some dyes of a non-waterproof can't be washed out of clothes.

Inks labelled as washable basically guarantee they'll wash out of clothes easily. They are usually though also not very waterproof and tend to fade (quickly, rarely completely).

No, that just means they aren't waterproof. Even non-waterproof inks will often leave residue dye, like Parker Quink Black leaves behind blue residue, which leaves readable text even if the main ink has washed away.

This also means that it's possible that some dyes of a non-waterproof can't be washed out of clothes.

Inks labelled as washable basically guarantee they'll wash out of clothes easily. They are usually though also not very waterproof and tend to fade (quickly, rarely completely).

Actually they don't leave any trace, its just few drop of water will disappear all trace of your writing with the quick ink

Actually they don't leave any trace, its just few drop of water will disappear all trace of your writing with the quick ink

I can assure you that P Quink Black leaves blue lines when washed off.

Some, incl me, assume that the Indian market has the washable variants in the bottles, even though it's not as such marked.

This is because reports from some posters from India on the locally available Quink show that their "regular" Quink behaves exactly the same as the stuff marked as "washable" in Europe, but nothing like the non-washable stuff.

I can only go by what is available in Europe.

My own tests on old Quink Black with Solv-X, the later stuff in the box like on the right above and the very newest iteration on the left all behave the same: have a reddish cast when swished in the bottle and when rinsed with water or even fully submerged leave behind a blue dye, making the ink not really waterproof, but also not a disaster if a spill were to happen and the written quite recoverable/ readable.

Eg J Herbin Eclat de Saphir isn't washable, but has washed out completely out of my clothes. Same for several others, in spite of them leaving easy to read traces behind on paper after submerging in water.

One ink, not sure if Diamine Presidential Blue or Quink Black, has left a dot behind on one of my shirts. I assumed it would wash out with ease like the other inks before when I had inky accidents at home, but no such luck. I have no idea which one it was, but it must've been one of the two that left the dot behind.

Both bottles have been bought in Europe, and for sure none is washable blue (one is black, the other is blue black). But the box doesn't say they're washable.

Though most people seem to be concerned with writing staying on the paper forever, the reason why I'm asking this is what Olya has said, to know whether I'll be able to remove stains from clothes easily. I don't think I'm going to write anything that will be of interest in fifty years' time.

I'm quickly developing a clumsiness complex. I'm prone to stain everything around me, but now that I've started using a syringe to fill and empty cartridges, the problem is reaching epic proportions. And I am thinking of getting rid of all ink bottles that may leave my clothes (or the floor tiles, or the wooden table, or anything) stained forever, and replacing them with safer ones.

I started with these two, because I know both varieties exist, and replacing the wrong one with the right one would be easy. But if you can tell me which of these I should be extra careful with, I'd appreciate it, too:

Waterman Absolute Brown

Waterman Harmonious Green

Waterman Audacious Red

Waterman Serenity Blue

Diamine Autumn Oak

Diamine Syrah

Diamine Eau de Nil

Diamine Grape

Diamine Golden Sands

Montblanc Oyster Grey

Montblanc Beatles Psychedelic Purple

KWZ Honey

Graf von Faber-Castell Viper Green

J. Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor

Pelikan M205 Duo Highlighter ink

Pelikan 4001 Blue Black

Pilot Iroshizuku Ku-Jaku (sample)

Do you think any of these will leave indelible marks in my clothes, or anywhere else? The floor below my chair has had a Waterman red stain for over a year now, and I'm sure it'll survive me.

It isn't true that you live only once. You only die once. You live lots of times, if you know how. (Bobby Darin)

Waterman Serenity Blue is advertized in French as erasable ("effaçable", i.e. "washable"), so should wash out of clothes without a problem.

It's been a while since I had such inky accidents (and it was usually always a few drops only), so my memory is hazy, but J Herbin Éclat de Saphir and Bleu Nuit should wash out, and Diamine Royal Blue, Blue Black, Sapphire Blue, also Pilot Blue and Blue Black.

Don't quote me on that, as said it's been a while...

I'd be careful though with Pelikan 4001 Blue Black, that's a (mild) iron gall and I could imagine that'll stain clothes permanently.

Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue (any German ink called Royal Blue / Königsblau) is a washable blue.

You could buy a cheap muslin cloth in the baby section and stain it with some inks, put it in the wash and see how it comes out (muslin cloths are 100% cotton, so you can was at any temperature). That'd be quite an experiment, but I think it would put your mind at ease.

It's hard to say how they behave on individual surfaces, some inks are pretty waterproof on paper but will wash out of clothes with ease, but sometimes stain some plastic for ever...

Refilling with syringes should be accident free (though we all had them!!! oops), the most valuable lesson I learnt when doing that is to go really slow.... And regrease the syringe every once in a while, so it doesn't become stuck, because that leads you to give a bit more force to get it going again and well... Doesn't end too well..

You could buy a cheap muslin cloth in the baby section and stain it with some inks, put it in the wash and see how it comes out (muslin cloths are 100% cotton, so you can was at any temperature). That'd be quite an experiment, but I think it would put your mind at ease.

Everything you've said is of great help, but this is a great idea! I'll certainly do so.

I've realised that I get some stains just by opening an ink bottle, especially those I've had for some time. Some tiny hard particles fall here and there, which give way to a stain when inadvertently dragged with the arm, or something like that. I suppose I'll get better with the syringe when I've done it more often, but some permanent stains in my household come from before the syringe era, and I cannot even remember how I got them.

IMG-4233.jpg

IMG-4234.jpg

image upload

Thanks! It's encouraging!

I can assure you that P Quink Black leaves blue lines when washed off.

Some, incl me, assume that the Indian market has the washable variants in the bottles, even though it's not as such marked.

This is because reports from some posters from India on the locally available Quink show that their "regular" Quink behaves exactly the same as the stuff marked as "washable" in Europe, but nothing like the non-washable stuff.

I can only go by what is available in Europe.

My own tests on old Quink Black with Solv-X, the later stuff in the box like on the right above and the very newest iteration on the left all behave the same: have a reddish cast when swished in the bottle and when rinsed with water or even fully submerged leave behind a blue dye, making the ink not really waterproof, but also not a disaster if a spill were to happen and the written quite recoverable/ readable.

Eg J Herbin Eclat de Saphir isn't washable, but has washed out completely out of my clothes. Same for several others, in spite of them leaving easy to read traces behind on paper after submerging in water.

One ink, not sure if Diamine Presidential Blue or Quink Black, has left a dot behind on one of my shirts. I assumed it would wash out with ease like the other inks before when I had inky accidents at home, but no such luck. I have no idea which one it was, but it must've been one of the two that left the dot behind.

Completely Agree with you. Parker which are available in India is of low quality.

My desk -- its old and its oak -- has ink stains from my having opened ink bottles. One tip: find a heavy plastic sheet that is made to protect floors from rolling desk chairs. Even if the ink won't come out, and I have some Asa-gao splotches, I can always buy another plastic sheet.

This is the plastic sheet I mean: https://www.amazon.com/Office-Hardwood-Phthalate-Multiple-available/dp/B00O32UHHC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=WFIPC0T4C44A&keywords=floor+protectors+for+office+chairs&qid=1568474431&sprefix=floor+protector%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExOUFDUEFITzIwREo2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQxODQwM0w3SzFBTjlGRTFKVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTM5Njk3MVdSRVdBOE1aWVlQQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Edited by welch

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Oh and another tip: The wider the opening of a cartridge, the easier the refilling (& cleaning).

Top carts are Sailor & Pilot, but also Platinum. Then Parker, Aurora & Lamy. Sheaffer & st. int. have the smallest opening.

My desk -- its old and its oak -- has ink stains from my having opened ink bottles. One tip: find a heavy plastic sheet that is made to protect floors from rolling desk chairs. Even if the ink won't come out, and I have some Asa-gao splotches, I can always buy another plastic sheet.

This is the plastic sheet I mean: https://www.amazon.com/Office-Hardwood-Phthalate-Multiple-available/dp/B00O32UHHC/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=WFIPC0T4C44A&keywords=floor+protectors+for+office+chairs&qid=1568474431&sprefix=floor+protector%2Caps%2C140&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExOUFDUEFITzIwREo2JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwODQxODQwM0w3SzFBTjlGRTFKVCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTM5Njk3MVdSRVdBOE1aWVlQQyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Thanks a lot! I didn't know these existed, but it looks like a very convenient thing to put on the table while I'm inking or cleaning pens, and then to roll it and store it somewhere until next time. Or perhaps I can think of a table where I can put it permanently, and do everything pen-related there.

Oh and another tip: The wider the opening of a cartridge, the easier the refilling (& cleaning).

Top carts are Sailor & Pilot, but also Platinum. Then Parker, Aurora & Lamy. Sheaffer & st. int. have the smallest opening.

Thanks for this piece of information, too! But I suppose I'll have to use whichever brand the pen is supposed to use, won't I?

Edited by Cassotto

Thanks for this piece of information, too! But I suppose I'll have to use whichever brand the pen is supposed to use, won't I?

Yes, unfortunately you are bound by the pen brand's choice in cartridge system.. I wish it were more flexible...

It's good to know, anyway. In case of doubt when wanting to buy a pen, this might help me make up my mind.

Actually, while I'm still a bit nervous about it all, I'm starting to enjoy this syringe business! Somehow it makes inking a pen more exciting than converters!