The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Taccia Yakumo Nuri (Artist's Proof)

taccia urushi maki-e

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 13:38

This is a brief post to share a really pretty urushi pen from Taccia. Done in yakumo nuri or thick cloud lacquer the blue base and golden clouds really sings. This is an attractive and very photogenic pen. As is the case with all these Taccia Reserve LE based pens it is also a great writer with their Sailor nibs. The music stub feeds from a CC and writes a wide, well controlled somewhat wet line. The cap has a slip n seal mechanism so can leave unattended for some time and will still write right away. While not slated for production there are some other colors still available at Chatterly. 

48682951901_a6dac51ea5_k.jpgIMG_2725 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48683126292_d0626393e8_k.jpgIMG_2726 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48682611588_29e78d47be_k.jpgIMG_2727 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48682952291_89008dd28c_k.jpgIMG_2728 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48682611798_aaa9c4d046_k.jpgIMG_2729 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48683126757_b18418bc7a_k.jpgIMG_2733 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

48683126857_bd263cfe5d_z.jpgIMG_2736 by Ja Ja, on Flickr

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 16:01

Ah, I had meant to ask if "artist's proof" meant the same thing as it does in printmaking -- and the answer is "more or less"; in printmaking, the first good print is called the B.A.T. print -- don't remember what that stands for because it's French terminology -- and that goes to the printing house (or, in my case in college courses, went to the professor).  Then come some number of artist's proofs, before the actual numbered print run.

It's an interesting looking pen.  But, well, urushi....  :( 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 940 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 16:42

I remember that you are highly allergic to urushi. That's too bad. I have two more urushi pens coming this week. But, last weekend I picked up a modern Wahl-Eversharp Signature that is simply amazing. It is acrylic so safe for you. A very impressive writer, nib, feed, size, everything.

Ah, I had meant to ask if "artist's proof" meant the same thing as it does in printmaking -- and the answer is "more or less"; in printmaking, the first good print is called the B.A.T. print -- don't remember what that stands for because it's French terminology -- and that goes to the printing house (or, in my case in college courses, went to the professor).  Then come some number of artist's proofs, before the actual numbered print run.

It's an interesting looking pen.  But, well, urushi....  :( 

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,847 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 17:13

I remember that you are highly allergic to urushi. That's too bad. I have two more urushi pens coming this week. But, last weekend I picked up a modern Wahl-Eversharp Signature that is simply amazing. It is acrylic so safe for you. A very impressive writer, nib, feed, size, everything.

Oh some of the pens I've seen have been drop dead gorgeous.  But for me they have to be "look but don't touch."   :( 

A while back someone in another thread was castigating me for being alarmist -- but sorry, no.  I've had poison ivy go systemic on me, more than once.  The last time it happened I went to the ER on the way home (and this was after just a few hours of contact at MOST).  The ER resident prescribed prednisolone, which did squat.  I then went to my regular doctor, who put me on a run of prednisone -- that surpassed the symptoms but they came back.  So the doctor sent me to an allergist -- and SHE said "Oh, they just didn't put you on a big enough dosage for long enough....  Here!" and THAT prescription of prednisone started with 5 pills a day and went down to half a pill a day, and FINALLY knocked it out of my system.  But it took six weeks.  

I admire urushi pens from afar for their beauty and workmanship and artistry.  But I can NOT NOT NOT use one safely (I don't care HOW long they claim the finish as cured) -- so there is absolutely no point in me buying one.  Early on I ran across an entire website of maki-e pens.  Simply gorgeous.  Some of them were breath-taking.  I sighed, looked at my husband and said "Congratulations dear -- I've just saved you twenty THOUSAND dollars!"  Somehow, though he just did NOT seem to appreciate my sacrifice....  :rolleyes: 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 Betweenthelines

Betweenthelines

The road goes ever on and on..

• Member - Gold

• 813 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2019 - 16:18

Beautiful... what size Sailor nibs are on these Taccia's?  Same as 1911L / Pro gear?  Would be really interested if they came with KOP nibs.

#6 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 940 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 17:15

Not sure how Sailor sizes their nibs. This is way smaller than an KOP nib. I reckon it is the same as the one on my 1911. This pen is too slim to fit a KOP nib and even if it could it would not look good; wrong proportions. I love my KOP pens but this pen and it's nib write better, more comfortably than a KOP, at least for me.

Beautiful... what size Sailor nibs are on these Taccia's?  Same as 1911L / Pro gear?  Would be really interested if they came with KOP nibs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: taccia, urushi, maki-e

Sponsored Content

|