The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Let's Call This "golden Oasis At Night"

shimmer custom ink recipe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2019 - 13:42

What do you do with shimmer inks that you don't like?  Try to make them into shimmer inks that you do like...

I was aiming for a grey here, but I got a black instead.  It's still nice.  I haven't noticed anything funky settling on the bottom of my mixing jar in 24 hours, with the exception, obviously, of glitter particles.

2 parts Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire

1 part Diamine Golden Oasis

1 part Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Red

1 part Caran d'Ache Cosmic Black

I'm fairly sure you could replace any of these colours with a generic enough royal blue, bright orangy-red, and black ink and get very similar results to this.  The green has to be Diamine for the gold particles, though. :)

Sparkle shows up just fine, most noticably on absorbant papers like Leuchtturm and Oxford.  Does well on Clairefontaine.  Looks very sparse on Tomoe River.  Tested with a FPR Himalaya ultra flex nib (very wet writer).  Images follow:

Leuchtturm 1917:

custom-black1.jpg

Tomoe River (the heavier one. 62gsm?):

custom-black2.jpg

Left: Clairefontaine Triomphe 90gsm
Right: Oxford Optik 90gsm
custom-black3.jpg

Oxford Optik shimmer:
custom-black4.jpg

Clairefontaine shimmer:
custom-black5.jpg

Edited by Enkida, 02 September 2019 - 13:44.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Sponsored Content

#2 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2019 - 20:07

It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison with J Herbin Stormy Grey, which also has gold particles in it.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#3 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 September 2019 - 20:21

wow! congrats on getting an ink you like, and thanks for sharing. The difference in shimmer showing on various paper is astonishing, very interesting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shimmer, custom, ink recipe

Sponsored Content

|