Diamine Dark Olive And Diamine Salamander

Freedomcoach

Hi Everyone:

I'm trying to solve a mystery regarding the inks Diamine Dark Olive and Diamine Salamander. Are these 2 actual different inks or is Salamander a new name for Dark Olive?

When using the Anderson Pens ink tool, I was unable to find dark olive in the list but found Salamander there and am seeing both come up in Google searches. However, no one seems to be willing to acknowledge of both of these inks.

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Howard

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Freedomcoach

• Barkingpig

• amberleadavis

These are two different inks; "Dark Olive" is the label on the bottle for an ink Diamine made exclusively for the Fountain Pen Network Members in the Philippines, Also called POGI or Peter's Olive Green Ink. Peter being the first name of the Diamine Distributor for the Philippines, Mr. Peter Bangayan. It is sold ONLY in the Philippines & is obviously more expensive because of the shipping from there. I purchased mine from a store called EVERYTHING CALLIGRAPHY.

It is indeed a different ink from Diamine Salamander but if you google search "Diamine Dark Olive ink," you can find some reviews posted there for the ink to see a sample swab.

Thanks for your clarification. Can you share a bit more about the difference between these two inks. Is one darker than the other? I'm using a sample of Salamander in my new Aurora Optima Oliva with fine 18K nib and it is showing up on the light side. I prefer a dark ink which is the reason for my inquiry. I sent Peter a PM about my interest in dark olive but haven't heard back yet.

Don't forget to check out the review sections to see if anyone has pictures.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Both Salamander & POGI would fall for me @ least on the middle of the range of murky yellowish green inks; If you haven't tried Stipula Calamo Verde Muschiato, which is a darker relation to this family of inks, it might be a possibility for you.

Since I use mainly broad & stub nibs I cannot promise what you can expect with any of these inks in a fine nib. But I can say that these yellow leaning greens are my favorites from the "green" spectrum & I have had a dedicated pen filled with the Stipula ink for four years, even tho cleaned several times a year, I always refill with this ink.

Wow, that's a strong endorsement. Will check it out. I lean heavily towards dark wet writing pens and my sweet spot is wet fine to thin medium. I have a lot of pens in my collection that fall in this zone, some classic collectors pieces and other modern pens.

The greens I love and have used a lot up till now are Monteverde Jade Noir, Robert Oster Grun Schwarz, and Robert Oster Melon Tea.

This last one comes closest to that olive and is a beautiful ink that often renders dark with a lot of shading. Nevertheless, my Optima Oliva has inspired me to research the Olive realm so now discovering what exists.

I checked out the google search images for the Stipula Calamo Verde Muschiato and while it is a beautiful ink, I do not see it being as dark as Salamander. Maybe I'm missing something. Would still love to see Salamander and Dark Olive side by side. I suspect one of them is the darkest olive. Of course I realize that there's a great deal of subjectivity and personal perception in this.