Made In Ireland Century Classic

sandy101

I won a rather nice Irish made Century Classic in rolled gold.

Being made in Ireland, I assume this is an older version of the current classic series.

Does anyone know which cartridge, and which convertor (if possible) will fit this pen.

Is it the slim or regular (century 2) cartridges that will fit?

Thank you.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jslallar

• Jerome Tarshis

• sandy101

• Uncial

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if the Century II was ever made in Ireland. But Irish production was shut down quite a while ago, and I can say that those pens will take the standard-size cartridge. There weren't any slim cartridges back then. I don't own any Cross pens that take a slim cartridge.

What we may be talking about is the Cross Century. "Century Classic" is the name of a pen in current production, thinner in every sense than the original Century, never made in Ireland. I don't know what converter it takes. (But the Cross Web site should tell you about all the current models.)

The Century, which doesn't have a protruding cap ring, takes the push-fit converter. The Century II, which has a protruding cap ring, was the first Cross pen to take the screw-fit converter. Many though perhaps not all later Cross pens that take a converter (as not all do) will take the screw-fit converter.

PS: Felicitations on acquiring what I think of as a very endearing Cross pen. I own half a dozen of the original Century, and one Century II.

Edited by Jerome Tarshis

I don't know if the Century II was ever made in Ireland. But Irish production was shut down quite a while ago, and I can say that those pens will take the standard-size cartridge. There weren't any slim cartridges back then. I don't own any Cross pens that take a slim cartridge.

What we may be talking about is the Cross Century. "Century Classic" is the name of a pen in current production, thinner in every sense than the original Century, never made in Ireland. I don't know what converter it takes. (But the Cross Web site should tell you about all the current models.)

The Century, which doesn't have a protruding cap ring, takes the push-fit converter. The Century II, which has a protruding cap ring, was the first Cross pen to take the screw-fit converter. Many though perhaps not all later Cross pens that take a converter (as not all do) will take the screw-fit converter.

PS: Felicitations on acquiring what I think of as a very endearing Cross pen. I own half a dozen of the original Century, and one Century II.

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried both cartridges - and it turns out the slim ones work. The others are too fat - so whilst they do sit in the pen -the cartridge does not sit in the feed properly, which means there is a tiny gap - which measn the ink does not flow as well as it should. The "slim cartridges" seem to fit better.

The pens is the Cross Classic - a thinner pen than the century 2 - the barrel sits flush with the cap.

It's taken me the best part of a day and a half of cleaning and fiddling about with the pen to get the ink flowing again. I resorted to running it under a hot tap - and lo and behold, hard blobs of gunky ink came out. They'd been sitting somewhere in the feed - hopefully that's the end of them so now this pen will write without impediment.

However, that's it. I've had enough of vintage pens now. A day and a half of writing lost to cleaning out a pen with all the attendant frustrations.

I'll keep the one's I've got, but I that's it as far as 2nd hand/vintage goes.

Thank you for your reply.

I've tried both cartridges - and it turns out the slim ones work. The others are too fat - so whilst they do sit in the pen -the cartridge does not sit in the feed properly, which means there is a tiny gap - which measn the ink does not flow as well as it should. The "slim cartridges" seem to fit better.

The pens is the Cross Classic - a thinner pen than the century 2 - the barrel sits flush with the cap.

It's taken me the best part of a day and a half of cleaning and fiddling about with the pen to get the ink flowing again. I resorted to running it under a hot tap - and lo and behold, hard blobs of gunky ink came out. They'd been sitting somewhere in the feed - hopefully that's the end of them so now this pen will write without impediment.

However, that's it. I've had enough of vintage pens now. A day and a half of writing lost to cleaning out a pen with all the attendant frustrations.

I'll keep the one's I've got, but I that's it as far as 2nd hand/vintage goes.

Welcome to the world of used pens.

Even used modern pens, which is what you have can be CLOGGED with dried ink.

My standard tool in that case is an Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Next step is to soak the section overnight, drain the inky water, then repeat the soak drain cycle until no more ink comes out.

You can use a bulb syringe to push water through the feed, once the ink channel has opened up. That will speed up the flushing.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the Century II was ever made in Ireland. .........

Dear Jerome

Century II were made in Ireland at least for some time

I have a century II 10K rolled Gold made in Ireland

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

Century Classic older version has a squarish nib

the newer versions have the classic Century II like rounded nib

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

There are THREE Century pens. Or FOUR if you consider the two versions of the "Classic Century."

The original Century from back in the 1970-80s is simply the "Century."

It is NOT the "classic Century" or "Century Classic" as so many people call it. Because that then gets confused with the current "Classic Century," which is a different pen.

The fountain pen was larger in diameter than the ball pen, and it took a converter.

Cap is push fit and fits level with the body.

The second is the "Century II"

It is larger in diameter and heavier than the Century.

I think the cap is push fit and has a collar that is higher than the body.

https://www.cross.com/cr_en_us/3309-ff

The third is the "Classic Century"

I think it was called "Classic Century" because the set goes back to the small diameter of the Century ball pen and pencils.

The fountain pen was made in TWO versions, and confusingly they did not change the name.

Ver 1 - is about the same diameter as the original Century ball pen.

It ONLY takes the slim cartridge. Cross did NOT make a converter for this pen.

The cap is screw fitted, and fits flush with the body.

https://www.amazon.com/Cross-Classic-Century-Fountain-Medium/dp/B00MANB3HO/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=cross+century+fountain+pen&qid=1569137168&sr=8-5

Ver 2 - The current model, is slightly larger in diameter and will take a converter.

https://www.cross.com/cr_en_us/at0086-108fs

The cap appears to be a push fit, flush with the body.

According to the Cross web page, the ver 2 FP is 0.485 inch, thus larger than the Century FP which measures about 0.31 inch. However, I do not know if the Cross measurement of 0.485 inch is the barrel diameter or barrel+clip. Or if there was an error, as the weight is listed as 0.485 oz.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

This is indeed confusing. I have only usedthe original Century, although I have had a few of the others, and confusion over what they were lead me to give then the briefest trial before putting them up. The original Century fountain pen, select tip, ballpoints and pencils, and desk ballpoints still serve as needed.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 10 months later...

There are THREE Century pens. Or FOUR if you consider the two versions of the "Classic Century."

The original Century from back in the 1970-80s is simply the "Century."

It is NOT the "classic Century" or "Century Classic" as so many people call it. Because that then gets confused with the current "Classic Century," which is a different pen.

The fountain pen was larger in diameter than the ball pen, and it took a converter.

Cap is push fit and fits level with the body.

The second is the "Century II"

It is larger in diameter and heavier than the Century.

I think the cap is push fit and has a collar that is higher than the body.

https://www.cross.com/cr_en_us/3309-ff

The third is the "Classic Century"

I think it was called "Classic Century" because the set goes back to the small diameter of the Century ball pen and pencils.

The fountain pen was made in TWO versions, and confusingly they did not change the name.

Ver 1 - is about the same diameter as the original Century ball pen.

It ONLY takes the slim cartridge. Cross did NOT make a converter for this pen.

The cap is screw fitted, and fits flush with the body.

https://www.amazon.com/Cross-Classic-Century-Fountain-Medium/dp/B00MANB3HO/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=cross+century+fountain+pen&qid=1569137168&sr=8-5

Ver 2 - The current model, is slightly larger in diameter and will take a converter.

https://www.cross.com/cr_en_us/at0086-108fs

The cap appears to be a push fit, flush with the body.

According to the Cross web page, the ver 2 FP is 0.485 inch, thus larger than the Century FP which measures about 0.31 inch. However, I do not know if the Cross measurement of 0.485 inch is the barrel diameter or barrel+clip. Or if there was an error, as the weight is listed as 0.485 oz.

I'm reviving this thread as this is the clearest answer regarding the differences between models I've found. However, if anyone is interested in finding out about the carts and the converters that fit these models, this is what I came up with.

Long story short, I just came across a really low price for a new Classic Century (the current model, with the snap cap). I was shopping for something else and the bright yellow model caught my eye - at around 40 Canadian dollars, shipped - why not give it a try... I then tried to find out which carts / converters fit this current model and to my surprise the Cross site is quite vague on the subject.

Now I have an Irish made Century II and it takes the Cross threaded converter (no. 8756 is the current part number) and Cross carts no. 8920 (blue), 8921 (black) and 8924 (blue-black). If I am to believe the Amazon description and various other sites carrying the current Century Classic line, this model takes the same carts mentioned above AND the Cross push type converter (8751). I'm also assuming the slim carts also work. Whereas these slim carts (numbers 8921-1, 8921-2 and 8921-3, respectively black, blue and blue-black) were made for the previous iterations of the Classic Century (the ones with the angular nib and the more recent ones with the screw cap, both mentioned by ac12) which did NOT accomodate converters at all as the barrels were too thin.

Hope this is useful. If I made a mistake, please let me know. I don't understand why Cross doesn't share this info on their website. It's quite confusing.

Edited by dan in montreal

You are absolutely right.

That earlier nib, I have been led to believe, was sourced from Pilot.

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

I think I posted something similar on another thread about Cross pens made in Ireland. I was told it by a pen dealer with a B&M stores just outside Dublin. He said that there was a Pilot connection (could have been the nib but I'm afraid I just don't remember now) and that for a very short period all production was moved out to Japan (can't remember if it was Pilot for that).